Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Allison Paddle Shifter Retrofit?

Hi All,

Has anyone ever heard of retrofitting a paddle shift system onto an Allison 6 speed? I'm driving a 1998 Discovery pushed by a Cummins 5.9 ISB. After a recent trip through a hilly region, I've begun to realize that paddle shifting up and down would be a lot easier (and safer) than pushing buttons.

I did a brief web search on this topic, but came up empty. Any suggestions as to source for a retrofit kit?

Thanks,

Tom Ryan
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #2

Tom, I'll tag along on your post to see what answers you get, I was looking at extending my control pad 3" out of the dash for easier access , but this may be a better idea.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 AM   #3

Converting an Allison automatic to Tiptronic like modern cars is a nice idea, but there are a few problems.
The main problem is that the driver can only select the highest gear that the transmission can attain. The ECU will decide what gear the transmission should be in for the current speed and throttle position etc. If you request a higher or lower gear than the current gear, the transmission won't change until conditions are suitable for the requested gear.
Elictrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That probably means if there is a solution, it would be prohibitively expensive. A bridge too far?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elictrix View Post
Converting an Allison automatic to Tiptronic like modern cars is a nice idea, but there are a few problems.
But all that means is that it won't behave the same as a paddle shifter on a car, it doesn't mean it can't work in a motorhome.

Right now, there are up/down buttons on the shifter keypad, which you can use to set your desired gear selection. Yes, it's true that you can ask for a gear that is not safely attainable under the current conditions, and the transmission won't shift until it's safe to do so, but that doesn't mean you can't press the buttons.

If a paddle shifter could be retrofitted, I imagine it would work just like like the up/down buttons on the keypad, it would just be easier to reach. True, it won't turn the motorhome into sports car with a high performance transmission that can shift in milliseconds with just a tap of a lever. It would still drive the way it always has, it would just be easier to tap those up/down buttons.

My keypad is pretty much where my left hand naturally rests, and I'm pretty much a flat-lander, so it's not a big deal for me. But I've seen some keypads located where it's more than a bit of a stretch to reach it, and I can see the benefit in those cases, especially if you live in mountainous region.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the optimism. I do understand the limiting factors you have listed, and my goals are exclusively ergonomic.

I have sent a note to Allison support to see if they can provide any information.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspryan View Post
That probably means if there is a solution, it would be prohibitively expensive. A bridge too far?
Mechanically, it's simple: mount a paddle with a pair of switches to detect push and pull, or two paddles with a single switch each.

Electrically, it's simple: connect the two normally open switches in parallel with the up/down keypad buttons.

Logistically, it's a nightmare: Getting Allison to sign off on it will likely be nigh impossible. That means cracking open the keypad, hacking the connections to the up/down buttons, and taking full responsibility for repairs if anything goes wrong.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
This is an interesting thread so I would like to tag along.

We have a 7 speed SUV with paddle shift. The shift works well with some of the limitations noted above.

We can shift down to the next gear if it is physically attainable which is what I would expect the Allison to do.

We can shift up until we are asking for top gear without the transmission shifting but if we push up once more the transmission will shift up a gear at least momentarily. It the throttle position is asking for a lower gear it will soon shift back down. I would hope the Allison would do the same thing.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I would hope the Allison would do the same thing.
Assuming that such a paddle shifter would behave the same as the up/down buttons on the transmission keypad, it would do almost the same thing.

Quote:
but if we push up once more the transmission will shift up a gear at least momentarily. It the throttle position is asking for a lower gear it will soon shift back down.
This wouldn't happen. If you press UP and the conditions aren't right, it won't shift, but it will remember that you wanted a higher gear when the conditions are right. If you press UP while already asking for the highest gear, it does nothing. If there were (or ever would be) a paddle shifter, I assume it would work the same as the existing UP/DOWN buttons - it's a rather bullet proof system.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Mechanically, it's simple: mount a paddle with a pair of switches to detect push and pull, or two paddles with a single switch each.

Electrically, it's simple: connect the two normally open switches in parallel with the up/down keypad buttons.

Logistically, it's a nightmare: Getting Allison to sign off on it will likely be nigh impossible. That means cracking open the keypad, hacking the connections to the up/down buttons, and taking full responsibility for repairs if anything goes wrong.
Rolling my own is a very interesting idea. In the past I've hacked momentary switches for other applications for testing/trouble-shooting purposes. That said, I've never had the Allison keypad off, so I'm not yet sure what I might be dealing with. My fear would be frying something and then having to replace the entire assembly, no closer to my goal (but maybe a little wiser).
Old 07-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #11

Get a second hand piece from a salvage yard as a Guinea Pig ?

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Annierufus;2120511]Get a second hand piece from a salvage yard as a Guinea Pig ?
QUOTE]
It would still be some expensive ham. Salvage yard price is usually 50% of new.
In an old post I saw the name of a Texas company that rebuilds the touch pads, I'll see if I can track it down.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We were looking at a Freighliner Sport Chassis briefly when we were purchasing our 5er. It was on diplay at a motorcycle shop during Sturgis.

The truck had a paddle shift and I will assume it also had an Allison transmission.

Would that setup be much different that the setup on a MH?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Gordon: Not sure how Freightliner is implementing paddle shifters on the newer custom chassis, but I suppose it would be similar to what you saw.

Tags
allison