Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Allison reprogramming in San Diego?

Looking to get the MH3000 in Winnie reprogrammed to target 5th gear instead of 2nd gear for more control when using the engine brake. Allison shows Rush truck center, Velocity truck center, Cal Pacific and Inland Kenworth nearby. Anyone have experience having this done round these parts?

Thanks!

edit to add; Velocity wants $450 to reprogram. Is that normal? Ouch!
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2022, 09:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m in West Texas and wanted to eliminate the automatic downshift feature in my Allison when I turned on the engine brake.

The local authorized Allison dealership said bring it in and we’ll look into it which I took to mean bring it in, get on our payroll and we’ll see what it’s going to take
I felt like that was too much of an open ended blank check for me so I did not take advantage of their generous offer.

$450 sounds like 2-3 hours of flat rate shop time to me.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:43 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't get what you are trying to accomplish. You do not need to slow down to the 2nd (?) gear every time you use the engine brake.

You have several options for controlling the engine brake that don't require re-programming & do not cost anything. Also, once they re-program, you have no idea how it performs until you get back on the same roads to see. It could take numerous iterations to get the program you desire (if it's even possible) and that may end up costing a lot of money without getting you anywhere.

This is what I do depending on traffic, terrain, road conditions:
-Use the hi/lo switch as needed
-Turn off the engine brake
-Get on the throttle again

Also, this is from my Owner's Manual:
When the Auxiliary Braking device (Jacob or Exhaust brake) is used, the display changes to a default reading of 2, 3 or 4. This default is pre-selected at the factory and can only be reprogrammed by an authorized Allison Service Center. The transmission is not in second, third or fourth gear. This is only a reference for the transmission downshift points to optimize the engine braking effect.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
I don't get what you are trying to accomplish. You do not need to slow down to the 2nd (?) gear every time you use the engine brake.

You have several options for controlling the engine brake that don't require re-programming & do not cost anything. Also, once they re-program, you have no idea how it performs until you get back on the same roads to see. It could take numerous iterations to get the program you desire (if it's even possible) and that may end up costing a lot of money without getting you anywhere.

This is what I do depending on traffic, terrain, road conditions:
-Use the hi/lo switch as needed
-Turn off the engine brake
-Get on the throttle again

Also, this is from my Owner's Manual:
When the Auxiliary Braking device (Jacob or Exhaust brake) is used, the display changes to a default reading of 2, 3 or 4. This default is pre-selected at the factory and can only be reprogrammed by an authorized Allison Service Center. The transmission is not in second, third or fourth gear. This is only a reference for the transmission downshift points to optimize the engine braking effect.

Accomplished: By Reprograming the Trans ECM you give the Driver the Ability to control HOW the trans and jake communicate. The way the factory programs it is when the Jake is activated the trans will work it's way Down to the gear programing in the software, whether is be 3rd or 2nd.

Whitout this reprograming You Have ZERO options. Its in the programing software. As for once the reprograming is done its not just hook up to the J1939 connector with the laptop hit a few keys and your done. You must hook up make contact with the trans ECM and then go for a test drive. I Know I Just Had Mine Reprogramed Yesterday. I had mine Completely Turned Off, my program was set to 2nd gear, meaning once the Jake was activated the trans would work its way to 2nd gear, no matter how fast I was driving. I went down a 5% grade and then a 6% grade using the new program and IT WORK'S GREAT. Why I waited so long to have it done is beyond me. It will now work in the gear I am in while drivinng. If I turn on in 6th it works there, and Yes it does hold the coach back as it was designed.

I have over 40 years driving Professionally with 130000 lb loads using a Jake and have just a little experience with how this system works. Sure it was a manual trans, but the same principle. Controlling your RPM's with lite braking if needed, and YES knowing your grade and road conditions and selecting the correct gear to descend before you start down.

As for my manual I rely on my past experience and knowing my rig to guide me there

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:13 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Talking

[QUOTE=1doodadd;6351329]Accomplished:
I Just Had Mine Reprogramed Yesterday.

Hi Driver,
May I ask how much they charged you for reprogramming?
A fellow Driver but never over 80K # (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
I don't get what you are trying to accomplish.

I certainly get it and did exactly the same thing to mine. Gives the driver more choices in engine braking, but does require more driver input (use of down arrow). YOUR CHOICE.

Now, the "how much should it cost": With the Allison handheld computer hooked up to your coach, it takes about 15 minutes. Certainly if the tech has to dig around under the dash to locate your transmission's port....

I would strongly suggest an Allison dealer VS a chassis shop, as they do this all the time.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #7

I paid $265 for the reprograming it took about 45 mins. The guy who did mine is a ex allison tech who went out on his own.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:35 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
I certainly get it and did exactly the same thing to mine. Gives the driver more choices in engine braking, but does require more driver input (use of down arrow). YOUR CHOICE.

OK, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense now.
I'll stick to turning it off or getting back on throttle when engine brake is not needed.
I use mine just about every time I need to slow down or stop.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:04 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
As stated by those above, I would really prefer to have control as to what gears are chosen when the Jakes are on. I drive in areas with a lot of grades and being able to have it simply hold a gear and maintain my chosen speed without constantly trying to downshift is what I'm looking for. With it targeting 2nd gear it wants to get to the next lower gear whenever possible which usually results in it grabbing a gear and slowing me down too much so I play the switch hi/low on/off game way too much as the target cannot be overridden via the control pad. Say I could have it holding 4th gear at 1800rpms keeping me comfortably at 50 down a grade instead of it self downshifting to 3rd for no reason and now I'm slowing way more than I need to and have to speed back up. My previous RV allowed me to choose the desired gear and unless you really laid on the brakes, did not downshift to the next gear so aggressively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
I paid $265 for the reprograming it took about 45 mins. The guy who did mine is a ex allison tech who went out on his own.
Where did you have your reprogramming done?
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 08:48 PM   #10

I paid $250+tax in Phoenix to have mine reprogramed. One of the best benefits is that it can now use exhaust brake in 5th gear. Before reprograming, it would always go from 6th to 4th at the speeds I drive.
If you want maximum braking when slowing down to stop, you have to manually downshift. It drops to 1200 before selecting a lower gear. When starting up I just tap the end of the freightliner stalk to return to full automatic shifting. Worth it to me.
RonAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:45 AM   #11

Just remove the external brake signal in the interface box and the transmission will be all yours. At no cost at all.
Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison