RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Workhorse chassis and the Allison 5 speed 1000 tranny. It irritates me sometimes when I cannot seem to get a shift from 4th to OD when I need it. The tranny seems to hang on to the lower gear a little too long. Sometimes it will shift by letting off the gas at around 58-60 mph or about 2000-2100 rpm. Other times it will hold on to around 65-68mph. Sometimes I have to turn the OD switch off and back on to make it shift a little sooner. I just am interested in a little consistency. Any ideas or am I just nuts?

This tendency is a real pain when you are fighting hills and winds and attempting to get the best mileage you can.
Joe

JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Workhorse chassis and the Allison 5 speed 1000 tranny. It irritates me sometimes when I cannot seem to get a shift from 4th to OD when I need it. The tranny seems to hang on to the lower gear a little too long. Sometimes it will shift by letting off the gas at around 58-60 mph or about 2000-2100 rpm. Other times it will hold on to around 65-68mph. Sometimes I have to turn the OD switch off and back on to make it shift a little sooner. I just am interested in a little consistency. Any ideas or am I just nuts?

This tendency is a real pain when you are fighting hills and winds and attempting to get the best mileage you can.
Joe

Old 06-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No Joe, you're not nuts, your dead on here!!!

I have the same chassis, same year. Mine works exactly as you describe, although it almost always shifts to OD in the 58-60 range. It seem ridicules to have to get to 60 so you can cruise at 55 in OD on flat level highway. I can understand pulling a slight grade that you need a lot more throttle and it may not shift to OD until you get to 65-68.

My other pet peeve is why the Allison will not hold 4th gear very long when pulling a grade. Most notably a long grade where you don't want to be in 3rd for the next 5 miles (unless it's get steeper or you loose a lot of speed). With constant throttle position, you don't want to be downshifting from 4th, accelerating in 3rd, shifting to 4th, and back to 3rd. Seems crazy to have it go from 5-4-3 and then back up to 4 again with the same throttle position on the same level of grade. I liked my '99 F53 chassis with a 4 speed tranny better in that regard. After I put on a Banks system on that V10, it would lug like heck in 3rd gear all the way to the top without searching for a different gear.

Many times I wish I just had a stick shift on the floor so I could control the shift points. A stick shift would probably give us 1-2 mpg better fuel economy.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
What is the engine RPM vs: peak torque RPM when it is not doing what you want it to do? It sounds like the computer programming does not agree with your desires.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I remember correctly, the peak torque happens at about 2300 rpm. When it "hangs" I can go as high as 3000 rpm before it will shift. That is more rare. The thing that aggravates me the most is that, sometimes, I will go up to 65-68 mph and then let off the gas hoping to get a shift. It will not shift for a bit, then it will after it slows to about 60. Well, if I could get the shift at 65 I have a much better chance of staying in 5th than at 60 if there is a slight grade.
Joe
Old 06-20-2008, 03:43 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe,

Mine is an '02. It shifts at 56 MPH to OD (5th gear)all the time-- unless I'm pulling a hill, and then if I ease off the accelerator slightly, its drops off into OD immediately. Look at Brazel's Ultra Power program-- He has adjusted shift points in the computer programming-- maybe he can help.

As I recall before the Ultra Power update on my rig, it reacted in a similiar fasion as stated above, concerning the 56 MPH shift, but I now can drop into a higher gear at slower speeds in the lower speed sprectum-- which I love on secondary roads.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, Max. I have been talking the UltraPower up to the DW and after our last trip, she is much more in tune with the idea.
Joe