Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #281

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=NCY-UFO;5048157]On second thoughts, it makes sense the sensors are encased as you said.

This means the circular encasement disconnected from the head.

How am I going to get that piece out of the hole without it falling into the tranny?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #282

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
29536408 is the number I am seeing in the parts catalog. What information do you see on the data tag on the transmission?
Hope you can reply to my last threads...... Thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #283

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbon View Post
Cats eye

2000 Dutch star, Allison Transmission, Spartan Chasis, driving down the road a cats eye appears in my shifter window, also a red gear with an exclamation mark on the dash. I pull over, stop put the park brake on, turn off the vehicle, re start and it will not go into gear. I got towed to a mechanic where they have tested the TCM, checked for shorts between the shifter and the TCM, put a new shift controller in and the problem is still there! The code will not clear! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

Did you get your issue resolved?
I had a similar issue. ECU good, VIM good. Shifter good. Took all out and had the service manager in Seattle area Allison shop check them all on a testing system he built. Everything checked out. Still cat eye.
Ended up being power/ground wires from battery to VIM. They tested good, but had some “issue”. Tapped into new power/ground sources and new wires to VIM.
Tranny back to normal. That was 3000 miles ago.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #284

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you replace them? Do you have pictures of the old ones?
Allison sensors are all encased in black plastic.

From my research this is the correct part #29536408

This means the plastic circular encasement disconnected from the head.
How am I going to get that piece out of the hole without it falling into the tranny?
Old 11-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #285

Cats Eye

Well, had a cats eye show up in my shifter, pulled over shut the vehicle off, fired it up again and the cats eye was there still, d1 code was 23 12(or imary shift selector fault — a “cateye” type display may occur) wouldn’t go into gear.got towed to Freightliner Northwest, put a test transmission control module in and the code was still there, unplugged the transmission, the code was still there, ordered a new Wtec III shifter, installed it, the code was still there wouldn’t go into gear. Load tested all the wiring all tested fine, flashed the TCM, catseye still there, after 6 hours? The tech starts the rig hits the throttle, boom the code disappears! Awesome! We are on our way! Over the next 3 days we stop start probably 7-8!times, no issue. We are in California, set up in an rv park spend the night go to start up the next morning and the cats eye appears again! I’m in full panic mode! I’m pushing buttons on the shifter, fire the rig up hitting the throttle, brakes and lo and behold it goes into gear and the cats eyes is still on the shifter pad. We start driving towards a mechanic shop and the cats eye disappears as we are driving. We keep driving north to the next Freightliner Northwest(4 hrs N) spend the night in the parking lot. The next morning the tech spends 3 1/2 hours shaking wires unplugging and replugging the TCM in, unplugging and plugging the shifter panel, codes there as inactive. But no problems! Drove 750 miles home stopping and starting multiple times with no issues! Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks in advance! This is a 2000 Dutch Star with an Allison tranny and Cummings motor
Old 11-25-2019, 05:40 AM   #286

[QUOTE=NCY-UFO;5048688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCY-UFO View Post
On second thoughts, it makes sense the sensors are encased as you said.

This means the circular encasement disconnected from the head.

The only thing I can think of would be a blind hole bearing puller.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #287

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=dbarton291;5051466]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCY-UFO View Post
The only thing I can think of would be a blind hole bearing puller.

Thanks for all your help on this...
Old 11-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #288

Same code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
Did you get your issue resolved?
I had a similar issue. ECU good, VIM good. Shifter good. Took all out and had the service manager in Seattle area Allison shop check them all on a testing system he built. Everything checked out. Still cat eye.
Ended up being power/ground wires from battery to VIM. They tested good, but had some “issue”. Tapped into new power/ground sources and new wires to VIM.
Tranny back to normal. That was 3000 miles ago.
The error code I had was D1 23 12, D2-5 was nothing. Did you have the same error code? How much did it cost you to rewire? Thanks
Old 12-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #289

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Allison Tech for 40 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbon View Post
The error code I had was D1 23 12, D2-5 was nothing. Did you have the same error code? How much did it cost you to rewire? Thanks

Sorry for the delay on answering.

I am not sure what my code was, it only came up once or twice, and changed. Always something about interrupted power to sifter.

For the wiring, I tapped into an unused fuse connection in a box at the front of our coach (1998 Overland). 0-gage wires feeding the box. The wires only had to go through the firewall and about 2 feet to the VIM. 20amp fuse. Cost was almost nothing. Had wire.

I still need to run new wires from the coach batteries (near the rear) up to the front. That will take some creative routing. I bought the wires (spools) and spent about $50 on that. My time and effort.

I know why they run the wires directly from the battery to the VIM. It is for constant power.
We were driving back, after the “fix”, and needed the generator (Onan 8000 diesel) to run the roof a/c. We were on the road, going about 65mph, and I hit the generator start button. The tranny went wacky and started jerking. As soon as I released the button, everything went back to normal. Didn’t repeat that again!
Generator starter was drawing power from same source as the tranny - like the lights dimming when you start the rig.

Lesson learned.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #290

I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune with an Allison MH200 transmission. Earlier this year I broke down at Raton Pass New Mexico with a failing fuel injector pump. Fuel injection pump and lift pump were both replaced. I'm still experiencing an intermittent stall when starting from a dead stop after driving highway speed. I can correct the stall by manually shifting down a gear. I suspect I'm having an issue with automatic downshifting of the transmission. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Randy Anders
Old 12-28-2019, 05:57 AM   #291

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for your help! I have a 2002 Holiday Rambler with a md 3000 series Allison 6 speed. Recently I noticed a fluid drip while parked that appears to be transmission fluid. It looks like it’s electrical like a sensor maybe but I don’t know. Any advice will be appreciated, I have posted a picture, it comes in from the top, I didn’t see how to rotate the picture. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24BED794-D808-4FA7-BCFA-D4C97AAADA0F.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	270769  
Old 02-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #292

Abnormal results of fluid analysis

Allisonman - I requested a transmission fluid analysis on a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton I'm negotiating on. The report came back as abnormal with a high acid number (see attachment). The unit has < 29k miles and the service history is not known. The RV inspectors I hired indicated some type of wet fluid on the transmission. How concerned should I be?

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4UZACGCY7HCJD9369-TO-H-333751-Sev2.pdf (99.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-19-2020, 06:55 AM   #293

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenolken View Post
Allisonman - I requested a transmission fluid analysis on a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton I'm negotiating on. The report came back as abnormal with a high acid number (see attachment). The unit has < 29k miles and the service history is not known. The RV inspectors I hired indicated some type of wet fluid on the transmission. How concerned should I be?

Thank you!
jbenolken,

Please see my answer to your concern at https://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/for...-89293-89.html
Old 03-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #294

Monaco Owners Club
MODE Button has No Effect

I recently purchased (in Aug.) a 2007 Monaco Caymen 36PDQ with ISB 325 engine and the Allison transmission. According to the manual, pressing the Mode button should select a secondary shift pattern. I would expect some kind of indication that this occurred such as a LED lit or something. When I press Mode on the keypad I get no indication or change what-so-ever. I can not tell if it is ECO or Normal mode. The manual shows what appears to be an LED in upper right part of Mode button. This LED never comes on.

The coach is slow on the take off from stop sign. My thought was that it was set to ECO mode and was attempting start in 3rd gear as the manual states that in ECO mode it affects upshift schedule 3-4,4-5, 5-6. Yesterday I was watching and it appears by the screen that it is starting in 1st gear because it displays 61 at a stop, and then as I accelerated 62, 63, 64 etc. This leads me to believe it is starting in 1st gear. At the next stop light, I pressed the MODE button once and watched the shift indicator as I accelerated. It indicated exactly the same shift sequence and I couldn't tell any difference in the performance.

Yet, off the line the acceleration for the first 10-15 is very sluggish. Once it gets moving it accelerates OK. I don't think is Turbo Lag because I get zero smoke with I first hit the accelerator. Is this more due to the small engine and 4.78:1 axle ratio or do I have other problems?

Our previous motor home, a 1996 Allegro Bus 40ft. with 8.3 275 HP engine was much quicker off the line. I realize the 8.3 engine has far higher torque than the ISB 325. Am I just expecting too much from the ISB 325 engine?
Closed Thread

Tags
allison