Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisonman View Post
Once you press the two arrows usually twice, it will say D1 and if you have any numbers after that, write them down, those are codes. If there are -- after D1, you do not have any codes. Once you write code number 1 down, hit the mode button once, that will take you to code D2. Continue writing them down and use the mode button until you get code whatever--.
Glad I asked - more complicated that I thought. Thanks.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 06:44 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi there Mr. Allisman

I have a beeping alarm in my Allison 3000 transmission when in drive & ceases when in neutral. Repair shop could not find any error codes. Can you offer an explanation & solution.

Many Thanks.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #31

Where's my TCM located on 2007 MADP Spartan K2

Ok , I might be a little lazy , but I built a nice set of IRV2 ramps yesterday and finally got under the rear end for a good inspection, I cannot find the Transmission Control Module . Been told by Spartan it's either on a cross member near the transmission or up front in the electronics bay. I cannot see it in either location. I have held a TCM in my hand and know what it looks like. All I see is the control wiring coming out of the transmission and disappearing into a mass wiring harness. A mechanic told me its not IF but When the TCM fails and I should upgrade to a next gen setup. Sounds expensive . Failure mode can result in many different symptoms apparently from simple readout errors to erratic shifting. Running to fail is a bad option but replacing an expensive module that is working fine seems a bit senseless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180811_164414[1].jpg
Views:	330
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	214811  
Old 08-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Once you press the two arrows usually twice, it will say D1 and if you have any numbers after that, write them down, those are codes. If there are -- after D1, you do not have any codes. Once you write code number 1 down, hit the mode button once, that will take you to code D2. Continue writing them down and use the mode button until you get code whatever--.
Ok, I followed the instructions and on D1 I see 2214 and d2-d5 are all clear. Hope this is not a bad code (I guess any code is bad?)
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #33

Research shows it to be the Engine Speed Sensor. I've been grabbing all the docs I can find on it.
I took the coach to a service center for diagnosing the Exhaust Brake about a year ago and they said the Throttle Positioning Sensor was bad and they replaced it - now where did they get this info - the engine or the tranny? (Code 21xx in tranny is Throttle Positioning Sensor). No clue.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Allison Tech for 40 years

Hi Allison man
Appreciate your offer to answer questions.
I have two questions that I would like to ask.
1. 2008 Allison 3000 coupled to Cummins ISL425 hp. What would have been the factory programming for the mode switch. (Have never been able to find this info)
2. What would you expect to be max trans temp while pulling a long hill..
Thank you for your time sir.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #35

Jeepaholic

Hello Jeepaholic. My guess would be that you are slight on the throttle pedal. When the TCM was reflashed, we usually test and set up The TCM at full throttle. It takes a couple days or longer to set up for the driver of the coach. If you drive easily on the throttle, this would have been the cause of the harsh shifts at first and them the TCM would have adapted to your driving style. No jinx, just enjoy!!
Thank you and have a great day!
Old 08-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #36

Jeanbev

Hello,
Is this something that just started? Has the tcm been reflashed lately. The only thing that comes to mind is there is a setting where you can send out a signal in the tcm and choose a gear for it to give an output. Maybe instead of reverse they selected drive? I have never heard of a beeping when in gear. Is the brake off when this happens? And no codes? What year of coach is this?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #37

rdurdel

Hello sir,
Locating where an OEM has installed the TCM can be the most time consuming part of a repair. There is no standard location for it to be mounted. Do you have an electric panel under the drivers window? Could be down behind pedals in a panel. Could be on left side of driver in a panel. I have even seen them in the front under the hood. One more location is under the bed on the wall off the bedframe inside the engine compartment.
what is the complain that you are trying to locate the TCM for? By upgrading the software the mechanic was probably meaning to just update the calibration which is easy to do if the distributor or dealer that has reflash capabilities can do. The TCM would not have to be located, just the Data Connector which can be hard to find sometimes too. I hope I helped.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #38

Rkins

Hello,
Yes a code 21-12 is very common in that year of coach and the TPS do fail so they were probably right on with their diagnosis. Code 22-14 is the engine speed sensor, another part that fails due to temp and wear. This is an easy one to fix. Looking from the rear of the TRANSMISSION, on the right side (tag side) on the front housing of the transmission, there is a sensor with 2 wires going to it. This is the ESS. You can use a 13mm socket, remove the bolt and just pull the sensor out. You should have the serial number with you when you go get another one. Just push in the new sensor, tighten bolt down and clear the code with your shifter if it bothers you or a shop can clear it with their Allison DOC software.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #39

Almost There

Hello,
Your mode button is usually secondary shift mode. What they usually are set up for is lowering your upshifts slightly so for example, you are pulling a grade and the roadspeed you want makes the transmission shift back and forth between gears. Hit the mode button and that will fix that issue or down shift to lower gear if you want. It also works well in a suburban area, light to light so you don't have shift cycling.
Max temp pulling a steep grade could be anything, it depends on what size of transmission cooler the manufacturer installed but they usually engineer the correct size. Your transmission will code at 230 F and if you see engine temp rising, then you know trans is getting hotter too because they use the same radiator coolant. Also if your coach is equipped with a retarder, on the downhills, watch your temp closely.
Thank you and have a great day!!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Thank you sir for this information.
I appreciate your taking the time to reply.
All the best
Old 08-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Hello,
Yes a code 21-12 is very common in that year of coach and the TPS do fail so they were probably right on with their diagnosis. Code 22-14 is the engine speed sensor, another part that fails due to temp and wear. This is an easy one to fix. Looking from the rear of the TRANSMISSION, on the right side (tag side) on the front housing of the transmission, there is a sensor with 2 wires going to it. This is the ESS. You can use a 13mm socket, remove the bolt and just pull the sensor out. You should have the serial number with you when you go get another one. Just push in the new sensor, tighten bolt down and clear the code with your shifter if it bothers you or a shop can clear it with their Allison DOC software.
That doesn't sound bad - I can do this. Thank you sir.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Hello,
Well that was relatively easy once I found a picture of what I was looking for. It's just a maze of split loom everywhere...
Anyway, the old one sure didn't want to pull out - must of had a vacuum on it or something - took about 5 straight minutes of twisting, prying, twisting, etc and finally it gave up it's grip and popped out. Maybe it's been in there a long time.
I'll clear the code next time I start it up (I'll check manual to see if I need to start it).
If anyone needs the Allison part# it's 29543432. (and it's $90.)

Thanks again for your help.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Closed Thread

Tags
allison