Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for offering your expertise. I have a CAT C-12 505 Allison 4000 in 2003 Beaver. Engine temps always 188-194 even up steep long climbs. The Allison will steadily get hotter over the course of the driving day. Even on flats. It is very dependent on outside temp. Cool days it still climbs but maybe takes 5 hour instead of 3 to get to where I feel a need to downshift or stop. When it reaches around 245. I can downshift to 5th and it will cool. If I stop for fuel or at a rest stop for a few minutes the temp will drop quickly. It cools quickly if it rains heavily. Had the CAC and radiator cleaned a few years ago with no effect. Spoke to an Allison Tech a few years ago who said that 250 wasn't an issue for the 4000. Said dump trucks with it run a lot higher. It's been this way for the 4 years I've owned the coach. Also a couple years ago ago I had it at a Stewart and Stephenson in Colorado. They checked the transmission and said there was nothing wrong with it. Any ideas? Thanks again for your willingness to help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allisonman

Welcome to iRV2. I have an idea you'll find yourself busy again answering many questions.

I have a new to me '07 Itasca Meridian 34H with Cat C7 350hp diesel with an allison tranny. I bought the DP with 48000 miles on it and was assured by the dealer all service was current. It was not, so now I'm at almost 50000 and getting everything scheduled. My questions: (1) which allison tranny do I have, or how can i find out prior to service? (2) In my reading allison requires Transynd which I believe is a synthetic; is this correct? (3) If synthetic shouldn't it be changed based on viscosity rather than by miles?

Thanks in advance - Richard
Old 08-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #17

Thanks for being here for us!!
My tranny also shifts hard from 5th to 4th sometimes - not every time. I didn't know my old tranny would show codes - I'll have to check that out. Can you do this with the key on or does it need to be running?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the offer to share your knowlege

Add me to the growing list of folks with a 3000 series transmission that has a VERY harsh 5 to 4 downshift.

Here's my particulars

2001 with 100K miles
Filled with Transynd (sp?) and new filters
has done it since I got it 2 years ago at 70K miles

My driving habits are to run the Cat down to 1500-1700 rpm before manual downshift. So it's shifting under full load.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
Old 08-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Allisonman

Welcome to iRV2. I have an idea you'll find yourself busy again answering many questions.

I have a new to me '07 Itasca Meridian 34H with Cat C7 350hp diesel with an allison tranny. I bought the DP with 48000 miles on it and was assured by the dealer all service was current. It was not, so now I'm at almost 50000 and getting everything scheduled. My questions: (1) which allison tranny do I have, or how can i find out prior to service? (2) In my reading allison requires Transynd which I believe is a synthetic; is this correct? (3) If synthetic shouldn't it be changed based on viscosity rather than by miles?

Thanks in advance - Richard
If you look at the transmission there is a nameplate riveted to the main case on its left side. Depending on the vintage, it will at least have a serial number. If it starts with 66, it's a 4000. If it starts with a 65 it's a 3000.
Allison bulletin 10-TR-99 has all the particulars about oil and filter change intervals. It was just revised a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Thanks for being here for us!!
My tranny also shifts hard from 5th to 4th sometimes - not every time. I didn't know my old tranny would show codes - I'll have to check that out. Can you do this with the key on or does it need to be running?
The way most vehicles are wired, you can check for codes with the key on.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #21

Cool, thanks. So you press up and down arrows at the same time... and keep pressing them to cycle through codes?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #22

Welcome, Allisonman! Glad you’re here!

I have an ‘06 coach with the Cummins 400 hp ISL, mated to the MH3000 transmission. When the transmission is cold (first 5-8 miles of the day) it will often flare on the 3-4 upshift. Once warmed up, the shifts become more “solid.”

Is this anything to worry about?
Old 08-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
thanks for taking the time to answer as many questions as you can, I have a Freightliner Sport Chassis, CAT 3126b mated to a newer (3 years old) 3000 series, I had it flashed twice when new under 1000 miles for harsh shifting (neck snapping), just recently I have noticed that it is shifting butter soft, if it wasn't for the roar of the engine you couldn't tell it shifted, sort of slipping into gear, no slippage, no loss of power between shifts, just nice clean shifts, never gets hot, 202 degrees is about the hottest and the engine was 207 just before the fan kicks on and lowers both temps, the transmission is always about 5 to 10 degrees below engine temp, I hope I haven't jinxed myself by writing this, thanks for reading, Lyman and Kelly 3 years from retirement
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #24

Mr. D

Yes I remember that beautiful coach. Thank you! Have a great day!!
Old 08-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #25

CoCo Dave

Thank you Sir. Yes he is very informed on Allison Transmissions. Hopefully I can help him relax a little more LOL. Have a great day!
Old 08-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #26

gmert

Hello gmert,
I also do not think there is any issue with the transmission because if you reach 230f it will throw a code to you for overheat. Also if you are running that hot, your engine would be running hot also because it uses the same coolant going thru the transmission cooler as the engine.
I would look to see if the wire between the sender and the gauge is shorted to ground somewhere. Also the sender or gauge could be defective.
The test I do for that is disconnect the wire at the sender (down at the transmission) and short it to ground. If your gauge pegs all the way to the right, your gauge is good and you need to replace the sender. If the needle doesn't peg, then the gauge is usually faulty. Thank you for the question and have a great day
Old 08-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #27

rrtribble and all allison world transmission owners fluid changes

allisontransmission.com you go down to my transmission and put in your serial number. It will have you test to see if your a robot, hopefully not, then you can't get in LOL. Scroll down and you will see fluid and filter change calculator.
Choose your model. Click go and answer questions make sure you scroll down for the last 3 questions then hit calculate. It will give you all the information for your services for your vehicle. It is an awesome tool. I just found out about it with your question so thank you LOL.

Mr Barton answered the other questions excellent!!!! One thing I would add is if you have a diesel pusher, the tag is on the left side of the coach. If it is a front engine, the tag is on the right.
Thank you and have a great day!
Old 08-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #28

rkins

Once you press the two arrows usually twice, it will say D1 and if you have any numbers after that, write them down, those are codes. If there are -- after D1, you do not have any codes. Once you write code number 1 down, hit the mode button once, that will take you to code D2. Continue writing them down and use the mode button until you get code whatever--.
Closed Thread

Tags
allison