Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #1

Allison Tech for 40 years

I have been strictly an Allison Tec, manager, Allison rep and now outside sales for 40 years. I used to answer questions before about 15 years ago but became quite busy in my job and lost track.
I have come here to try and lend my expertise to RV owners who have questions about their Allison Transmissions. I really enjoy helping out so please if you are having an issue with your Allison, please leave me a question. I try and check in every other day so please be patient. Thank you and "Have a great day!"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for offering. I look forward to reading your advise and solutions.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #3

Thank you CountryB!

Have a great day!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have one. Our Allison is an 02 model. Should I have any upgraded programing done? As far as I know it has never been touched.

104,000 miles.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 08-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #5

Glad you're here! I want to retire someday soon.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I have one. Our Allison is an 02 model. Should I have any upgraded programing done? As far as I know it has never been touched.

104,000 miles.
I can help you there. There's no reason to update the software in an Allison unless there is some kind of issue going on. It's not like an iphone where new features come out every so often.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Very glad to have you AllisonMan, you are gonna be very popular. I love my Allison MH3000. However, my tranny sometime downshifts rather hard form 5th to 4th? Cause for concern? Difficulty to repair? Run it till it breaks? It never gets much above 200* even when climbing big hills and towing my 4000# toad, and usually runs about 180*.

Then, my PacBrake operates in the Manual mode. How do I change that mode?

When climbing, if the tranny is frequently up and down shifting, I manually select the lower gear and set a 2000ish rpm. Is that the right thing to do, or should I let it hunt?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
I can help you there. There's no reason to update the software in an Allison unless there is some kind of issue going on. It's not like an iphone where new features come out every so often.
No issues. Thanks.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 08-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Allison 4000MH behind an ISX 650. in my '09 Country Coach.
Had the house batteries replaced a couple months ago. Not sure if the turned off the power to the ECM but I now sometimes get a hard shift from 2nd to 1st. No error codes on my VMS. Hoping it's just lost it's programming.
Ideas?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Allison 4000MH behind an ISX 650. in my '09 Country Coach.
Had the house batteries replaced a couple months ago. Not sure if the turned off the power to the ECM but I now sometimes get a hard shift from 2nd to 1st. No error codes on my VMS. Hoping it's just lost it's programming.
Ideas?
There is some instruction in the Allison owners manual (WTEC III AND GEN 4 era) for relearning programming. Not sure if you saw this or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	814
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	213725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	617
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	213726  

Old 08-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome! It sure helps to have people who have worked in the industry on here.

I assume this thread will be where most of the questions and answers are located?
Old 08-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #12

dbarton261

Hello Mr Barton. Thank you and I know what your talking about retiring LOL. I did this on another site years ago and was overwhelmed but a pleasure to help others.
And you, pardon the French,... know your [ moderator edit ]! LOL Very clear and precise answers. I hope I can give answers as you have in your time here. Thank you!!! Have a great day!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #13

Tony Mac

Hello Tony. Is the 5-4 harsh shift something that just started? You did not mention what year of MH you have but if you happened to have your foot on the throttle slightly, that can cause harsher shifts. I usually hear upshifts as harsh.
If this is a new MH, it takes a while to adapt to the driver unless you stopped at an Allison Distributor or dealer and they reset the shifts to unadapt or fast adapt. I would use your shifter and check to see if you have any codes. Just press the up and down arrows at the same time until you see a D1--. If you have 2 dashes, you have no codes but if you have for example D121-12 or if a newer coach you will have P---- codes. write those down if you have and let me know but I think you won't have codes.
You asked about manual exhaust brake? The transmission is set to downshift at calibrated times to lower gears when you have the exhaust brake switch on. The preselects can be changed anywhere between 1-6th gear, the customers choice. You would have to take it to a facility that has the Allison Doc software to make this change.
Thank you and have a great day!
Old 08-04-2018, 05:52 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Welcome!

Mr dbarton291 has been a real help on this forum and has set a high bar for responsive, competent technical assistance. As the big wad of diesel pushers that got sold between 2000 and 2009 gets older, it's likely that more and more transmission problems will arise. We'll need more of that technical expertise. Thanks for joining.

Best,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Closed Thread

Tags
allison