Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #1

Allison transmission

I know this thread will be moved but I wanted to make everyone aware of a problem. Some allison transmissions will not read more than 3 quarts low on the selector. When I had my transmission fluid changed it was improperly filled and left 5 quarts low. Some time later I checked it at the selector and registered 3 quarts low. I added 3 quarts and drove it 500 miles home and checked it, read 2 quarts low. Unaware of this problem I thought I had a major transmission leak somewhere. It was only a sharp Allison service manager at Clark Products in Cincinnati that told about this. He says he doesn't know why some do and some don't or the explanation of what is happening when it does. Thoroughly checked for leaks, none,added 2 more quarts and selector read OL OK. Downside cost me $200 to find this out.Thought I would mention it for what it's worth.
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the info.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #3

I know its after the fact--but guess I would have re-checked the OL indicator again before striking out on a trip. Its a pain but I usually double check the dip-stick to verify the OL indicator--just call me A-R. Interesting, over a gal low, I am surprised that it shifted properly--wow!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

The problem is not the oil level limits of the Allison selector, but the person who "improperly filled" the transmission at the service.

Being able to check the oil level from the comfort of the driver's seat without crawling under the vehicle, lifting a floor hatch, or extracting a long dipstick is a great feature. It is designed to pick up minor variations in oil level during driving, so has limits. A reading of 3qts low is more than would be expected in normal use. The cause of this low reading would need to be found. The oil level, and oil condition, should be confirmed by checking the dip stick (Oil level sensors can fail). The transmission, cooler, and hoses should be checked for signs of leaks. In your case it appears to have been human error, not mechanical failure.
The transmission would then be topped up with 3qts and rechecked as "Old Scout" said. Keep doing this until the display shows "oK". Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I would suggest that you recheck the oil level with the dipstick to confirm the accuracy of the selector.

Has there been any change in shift quality since the oil was replaced?
The ECU is a learning system, so the transmission clutch application rates may have been slightly compromised by having low oil level. Also the new oil may flow differently to the old oil. I would suggest that you take it to your Allison shop(Clark Products?) and get them to Reset Fast Adaptive. They may have already done this. Only takes a minute to do this with their laptop. This will allow the ECU to have a good look at all shifts and make any adjustments necessary.
Elictrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, transmission