RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #1

Allison Transmission Temperature Gauge

I have a 2008 Dolphin on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with an Allison 6 speed transmission. Since ScanGauge does not facilitate transmission temperature, is it possible that a threaded plug is available on the transmission to mount a transmission temperature sender and bring it up under the dash to a transmission temperature gauge?

sidewinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

This trans does not have a provision for a temp sender,you can install a tee fitting in the cooler circuit either at the radiator or the trans.

allisontec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a temp guage. I did not want to hole the trans mission or cut a line so I found a device that actually clamps around the cooling line at the transmission. It claims to be five degrees cooler than actual. I cannot vouch for that claim but I can say that after a few trips you take note of relative temperatures in a variety of circumstances and pretty soon it would be easy to tell if there was a problem with heat. The device records temperature changes very quickly and is good enough for me.

Also on this forum I received the code to program my Scanguage II for transmission temperatures ( I installed the guage before I heard of Scanguage). I haven't installed the code yet to know if it works I was too fumble fingers to get it done when I tried. Not using the MH now so it is on the back burner.

You might check around and ,make sure you cannot get a code for Scanguage to read Allisson temps from transmissions.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Accutemp Transmission Temperature Adapter for 1/2" Lines

Here is the device I used, easy deal. Some may think it hokey (could be you do) but my digital guage works fine, very fast and as I say relative temperatures can signal problems if they occur.

Also I have the Scanguage code for Allisson transmissions just not here. Also not sure if it covers your transmission. However if you want them I can get them in a few days.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should add the link I sent is for a 1/2 inch line they make several I'm sure the website has the right one for Allisson.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
@njs42....Is there a cable that attaches to your readout gauge or is it wireless?

I agree with you in that you will notice a serious problem if one develops.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
@njs42....Is there a cable that attaches to your readout gauge or is it wireless?

I agree with you in that you will notice a serious problem if one develops.

The guage comes with the cable. I purchased mine at Auto Meter. They have a full selection. I prefered digital that way you do not have to rig a dash light wire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ethan horse 051.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	23025

I did a three panel with inside and out temperatures and a clock ( I became weary of trying to squint at the radio clock and I never could remember how to reset it).
Old 06-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should also tell you the cable was just barely long enough to reach the place next to the transmission to plug into the sender. So picking the route to the location of the line just exiting the transmission was the most thoughtful part of the deal.

I keep remembering things from my install, after I hit the replay button. Anyway this method is an easy deal.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #9

njs42.....thank you for the information. I would like to duplicate your installation. Can you tell me which specific gauge you ordered and verify that the gauge came with the necessary accessories i.e. sending unit, wire etc?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #10

njs42.....

Will you please post whether or not the codes your have for the ScanGauge work to give you the transmission temperature? There are literally hundreds of us waiting for that feature.

Thanks,
Old 07-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #11

ScanGuage provides transmission temperature for GM/Chevrolet trannys, and there is a thread about how to do this for Allison. try "Search"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder2 View Post
njs42.....

Will you please post whether or not the codes your have for the ScanGauge work to give you the transmission temperature? There are literally hundreds of us waiting for that feature.

Thanks,
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
ScanGuage provides transmission temperature for GM/Chevrolet trannys, and there is a thread about how to do this for Allison. try "Search"
Linear Logic's ScanGage II does NOT display the TFT for the Allison 6 speed trannys commonly used in Workhorse chassis (since 2006). The SG II has NO problem reading the TFT on the 5 speed versions, but the six speeds speak a different language code that LL has not been able decifer. Many have worked on this problem, but no joy....so far. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder2 View Post
njs42.....thank you for the information. I would like to duplicate your installation. Can you tell me which specific gauge you ordered and verify that the gauge came with the necessary accessories i.e. sending unit, wire etc?
Sorry to have not responded. Lots going on here right now and the MH is in storage so it is a bit of a trip to check on things. I didn't realize you had ask me a question.

I found this on the Auto Meter website. I have had good luck with their products.

Auto Meter

I'm not sure this is the exact guage it has been a while but this is like the one I have. It come with the sending apparatus everything for install other wise it is just a guage. The sending unit screws into the adaptor before you clamp it on the line.

It seems from what I read tonight if you have a six speed allison my scanguage numbers will not help. For sure I will get to my rig in a few days and post the numbers. But search the site I got them here at IRV2. I'll get them as soon as I finish my project I have going in my shop tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post

I just searched and found this:

GM Specific : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge

I think it is the same info I have in my MH. Like I said before I tried to load it but was too fumble fingers. I think someone needs to read you the numbers while you type, otherwise the Scanguage shuts down before you can get it all typed in.

Hope this helps.

Tags
allison, transmission