Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #1

Allison Transmission Workhorse Chassis

I have a 2003 Newmar Scottsdale (33') with an 8.1 GM engine and an Allison 1000 transmission, (34,000 miles). I was 250 miles away from home last weekend, stopped to get some gas, had to go up a small hill in the parking lot to get back onto the road. Stopped, gave it some gas to get up the hill and on the road. The transmission wasn't initially engaged, (it was in D), it suddenly lurched into gear (didn't make a grinding sound, more of a thud). I let off the gas, it slipped out of gear and I carefully let it roll back down the little hill. Put it in P, let it sit for a minute, put it back in D to go out another entrance (no hill). Transmission slipped a bit but got me out. The expressway was 2 miles away and I decided to get that far and decide to head N to a town with a repair shop or head home. I headed home; 250 miles, not another problem. Stopped about 50 miles into the trip and checked the transmission fluid (full, no smell, looked fine). I really don't want to get stuck on the road and I'm not sure I trust taking it to a mechanic (I can just hear it: "Sir, this transmission is shot, put a new one in for only $8,000"). BTW, I've put 7,000 miles on the RV, no problems with the engine or drive train. Any thoughts?
BillEveleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 02:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That year transmission came with Dexron iii fluid and required changing every two years or 25,000 miles, which ever came first. You should have had several changes by now.

The spin-on filter was supposed to have been changed after the first 5,000 miles.

I've changed mine myself many times and the last time I switched to Transynd TES 295 fluid.

It has to be drained, refilled and driven about 20 miles, then drained and refilled again. That's because the torque converter holds about two quarts that doesnt drain out.

NEVER do a power flush.

So do you know if the fluid has ever been changed?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:01 AM   #3

Thanks Arch. Yes, I changed the filters and fluid last fall. Someone suggested an electrical plug attached at the passenger side back if the transmission might have gotten some moisture in it (either water or oil). He said it sounded electrical, not mechanical to him. I'll check it out and report back.
BillEveleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:40 AM   #4

you may want to check the elec connection to the trans tcm computer, it seems to be a problem in pickup trucks, not so much for mh so it may be fine, (pickups i think it is weather more?).

but checking elec is much easier and cheaper than a service call !! hook up a good obdII reader that can read trans info and look for codes.

GL
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, transmission, workhorse