Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #1

Allison vibration

My 45' Monaco is shuttering when the RPM's drop to around 1300 waiting for a downshift. If I manually downshift it goes away. My question is, has anyone experienced this problem? Could it be a engine problem rather than the transmission? I have changed both fuel filters.
RJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
When was the last time you serviced the tranny?
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

Coach is an 09 Monaco w/28K miles. Unless I'm mistaken, tranny is not due for service.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #4

How are you aware of this shutter? Can you feel it in the steering or actually in the body of the motorhome as a "shaking"? Or is it something you hear. Is it between every downshift or just certain gears? Is it during heavy throttle conditions or any downshift?

A couple of years ago I did not lube my drivetrain for about 10K miles and I started noticing a vibration at a certain speed in a certain gear. I lubed my U joints and drive shaft spline and it went away.

If you are concerned and it continues, you are still under warranty on both engine and transmission. A trip to a Cummins or Allison dealer might be the best.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply Steve, I have already taken the coach to the dealer
Old 06-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have the ride height checked. These units have a very short drive shaft and any missalighnment can cause this problem.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #7

I agree with the drive shaft theory. If the U joints or slip joint get dry you will get the vibration. I know.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #8

Turns out I had a bad injector on the motor. That explains the loss of power and fuel mileage, nto to mention the shudder.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJohn View Post
Turns out I had a bad injector on the motor. That explains the loss of power and fuel mileage, nto to mention the shudder.

Thank you for the update, many times like this one I think the outcome is just as valuable or more so than the original question.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #10

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJohn View Post

John,

Just to follow up. You might want to check your engine oil using oil analysis. There's a good chance the injector was bleeding fuel into the oil. When this happens, it lowers the oil viscosity and can produce wear if left unchecked.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
John,

Just to follow up. You might want to check your engine oil using oil analysis. There's a good chance the injector was bleeding fuel into the oil. When this happens, it lowers the oil viscosity and can produce wear if left unchecked.
You are right John. Since 2007 due to the EPA regulation this has been a problem on diesel engines. Thanks for the heads up. I do an engine analysis every year. Shoot for $15.00, why not.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison