Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

AT542 to 1000 swap in a bus. Worthwhile Swap?

I have a bus that I am converting into a custom car hauler truck. It is a 98 Freightliner with an ISB 5.9 24v and an Allison at542fe. The trans is a 4 speed, but it has no over drive. 4th gear is 1.00. I'm really wanting to swap it to either a 5 or 6 speed allison when the build is complete. From what I can tell, the trans will bolt right up, but will the converter be right? I know I'll have to use the Allison TCM and get that all figured out.

If I use an Allison from a 2008 Chevy 3500 HD 4x4, and swap the tail housing and output shaft, how hard will it work?

I hope I'm not being too general with the questions. I'm planning on having the ECM re-flashed, and turning this thing up, but if I'm gonna top out at 70mph, it' isn't gonna be much fun. LOL..

Thanks in advance guys.
BrantC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
The electronics will be your major challenge.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

Let us see your bank account and we can tell you how easy this swap will go.
(Old Joke)

You will need a wiring harness since your 542 is not an electronic transmission.
About $1500 for the harness

Depending on how heavy you are going pulling will determine if the Stock GM Sliverado Torque converter will hold up. New Billet Heavy Duty TQ's go for about $450 to $800. Or more if you want a tractor puller capacity.

Also there's the Throttle Position Sensor. About $200 if you can find them.
Part # 29507770

The TCM will need to be picked up and reprogrammed if your ISB engine management computer doesn't have a program in it for a 1000 transmission. Even if it does you'll need it turned on so it will recoginize the electronic tranny.
If you have to buy a TCM (transmission Computer module) programmed for you application then be sure to check you credit rating.

There is a Guy on Ebay that makes the stand alone wiring harness for the Cummins 5.9l's to Allison 1000.

kfhbear(98)

cumminsallisonconversions.com

This guy knows his stuff but doesn't come cheap.
But, this swap is his specialty.

If I had it to do over I would have just sold my RV and bought one with the engine and transmission I wanted.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #4

UPDATE:
The link doesn't work that I posted for the Wiring Harness guy.
Last time I talked to him I got the impression he was ready to retire.

I just ordered some parts off EBay from him so I'll get back here and let you know if he's still doing business.
I sure hope so, even if it's just to sell off his inventory. I need the parts I ordered. His Ebay Store shows he has what I ordered in stock.

OH and BTY I have a rebuilt Spicer 5831 3 speed brownie box that would be a lot cheaper option should you decide to keep the 542 and save a bunch of money. It has a 2:1 underdrive, 1:1 2nd gear and .74:1 overdirve.
Was going to use it in my Motorcoach but ran across a 5 speed 1000 real cheap and decided to go that way. Sadly the accoutrements were not such a bargain. But still I'll got a deal.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

One option is to use an MT643. It has a lock up clutch in the converter (still 1:1 top gear), but no electronics to hassle with.
I've read on here other folks have swapped a 1000 or 2000 in place of an AT542 or AT545 with success. Like everybody else said, the harness, throttle position sensor, and getting a TCM with the right calibration will be your challenges. Probably a driveline length modification also.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #6

It honestly isn't terrible with the current transmission. It runs 70 fine, but the mpg's suck. I'm sure I will swap it eventually. That money up there you mention doesn't look too terrible Curtis. Your thread was the one that I read up on the most. lol
BrantC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That is what is sooo great about IRV2! If you can imagine it, a member can probably offer the input you need to "Make it So".
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh