Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #1

Backing up driveway

hello, I just purchased a new to me alpine coach with a cummins 350 with an allison 3000 6 speed transmission. my question is, I have a approx. 300 ft driveway at an approx. 7-8% grade. driveway is straight, and it would be easiest to back up the drive, and not have to back down when I leave. I am concerned that I might do damage to the transmission in backing up the drive, due to heat build up. years ago, I bought a ford excursion with the 7.3 L engine, and backed my boat up the driveway and lost the transmission, ford said due to inadequate cooling. lucky i was still under warranty. I am concerned doing the same to the allison transmission. which is not under warranty. I am unsure if the transmission cooler is adequate. hope the experts will chime in thanks Bob.
4day is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think your transmission cooler can handle it. It's buried in with the radiator and inner cooler and the radiator fan cools all. If you don't have a transmission fluid temperature gauge, you might think about adding one to be sure. Also, don't hesitate or go too slow as you go up the driveway. Backing a boat trailer is probably why you had an issue. When I back in my driveway, I know the RV fits the driveway so I watch the left rear tire in the mirror at the edge of the driveway and go. Sort of 'He who hesitates is lost.' (or overheats)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

you are probably right, I ended up putting an extra cooler on my excursion, replacing a transmission in a MH a bit costly, I do have a temp. guage, unsure how good it is, just took delivery of MH, not home yet. easier to back up the drive, than to back into traffic.
4day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My concern would be the back end bottoming-out. JMHO, no practical experience.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No problem backing up is about the easiest thing the tranny can do in most cases.. EXCEPTION is one model of Ford Transmission but you do not have that one.. I can assure you you do not have that one.

First: It's a stick shift, 2nd It fits Mustangs. 3rd 4 speed RAD (Reverse Always Dies?) Had one in my AMC hornet.. Design flaw.

I used to back a Pup up a much steeper grade with that car.. and at the top of the grade was a gate, perhaps a foot wider than the PUP if I'm lucky, and Id' back that down about another 70 feet of drive (Slight angle but flat) into the garage...

Now you know why I am good at backing into a site.

(Actually, that is not the most "Fun" I have had backing a trailer, Just the most "Fun" Backing a RECREATIONAL trailer. The most fun was a Farm Trailer.. Around an "S" curve and between two buildings where if you were perfectly centered you could not walk around the trailer, you had to walk around the barn, to get to the gate behind it.)

Learned it young, learned when I was little.. How to use REVERSE. (Take off on a line from a song you likely never heard) Want a line from a song you likely HAVE heard (16 tons)

I loaded 16 tons and what did I get, A fertilized field by a whole lot of **IT.

Now you know what kind of trailer that was.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #6

Older Ford automatics, when in reverse, would stop circulating fluid thru the radiator. If you were already up to temp, backing up a steep grade could cook them quickly. I don't believe Allison has this issue. A quick call to Allison would confirm.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote