RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
ďBestĒ place to buy Transynd / TES 295?

Folks,

Itís time for me to change the fluids and filters in my 1995 Allison MD 3060 transmission. (Ď95 monaco dynasty)

iím wondering if I should go with Allisonís product or if there is another well-regarded favorite brand; if so, which is it and where do i buy it?

Iíll be replacing filters, too, and assume I should just buy and install the replacement kits including gaskets O-rings, etc.Ö yes?

thx in advance for your feedback.

(edit: i *just* saw a somewhat similar thread posted a few weeks back. iíll defer to that and just use transynd and will check with a local ford or chevy dealer to purchase.

it doesnít appear i can delete this post so edit will be my mea culpa.)

Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #2

Transynd is the best as you've already discovered. When you drain the oil only remove on the filters If you remove you'll make a mess. Once it's drained then remove the other filter and replace both.

In the future when just changing filters. Remove one filter and let it drain until nothing comes out. Replace that filter then move on to the 2nd filter. An Allison mechanic said by only replacing one filter at a time you'll lose far less oil. On my last filter change, I only lost about 3/4th of a quart so it really does work.

FYI I bought my oil via Amazon.

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #3

I bought mine at a cummings dealer parts shop.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Transynd is the best as you've already discovered. When you drain the oil only remove on the filters If you remove you'll make a mess. Once it's drained then remove the other filter and replace both.

In the future when just changing filters. Remove one filter and let it drain until nothing comes out. Replace that filter then move on to the 2nd filter. An Allison mechanic said by only replacing one filter at a time you'll lose far less oil. On my last filter change, I only lost about 3/4th of a quart so it really does work.

thx very much for explaining the process, very much appreciated.

and thx to you both for suggestions on where to purchase ... iíll see what we have locally and compare vs amazon.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Transynd is the best as you've already discovered.

TranSynd is made by Castrol and is ONE of five brands of Allison approved standard TES-295 fluids. Since all 5 meet Allison's standard, what makes Castrol's version any better than the rest?

FWIW, I always bought mine at the local Allison Distributor, not just any dealer.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
thx very much for explaining the process, very much appreciated.

and thx to you both for suggestions on where to purchase ... iíll see what we have locally and compare vs amazon.
IF you are willing to shop online, take a look at Summit Racing's site. I understand they were selling a TES-295 approved brand really cheap.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #7

I bought mine at a Detroit Diesel/Allison service center. $35/gallon.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #8

I bought mine at NAPA. I think it was the BP version.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
IF you are willing to shop online, take a look at Summit Racing's site. I understand they were selling a TES-295 approved brand really cheap.

Yes, that's where I got mine. Mobil 1 Delvac, $33.99 per gallon at Summit. No sense paying more, they're all equivalent according to the Allison fluid engineer (he wrote the spec) who frequents the forum.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:21 AM   #10

Ditto on Summit Racing and Mobile 1.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:49 AM   #11

I bought my Mobil Delvac 75W90 for my differential from Summit. Couldnít beat the price anywhere. You really have to watch Amazon, they are convenient but not always the best price.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know if the TranSynd Allison oil was used before.

If not and you decide to use it there is a recommended procedure for making the change, essentially using the oil, driving X miles (can't remember the mileage) and changing again.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Do you know if the TranSynd Allison oil was used before.

If not and you decide to use it there is a recommended procedure for making the change, essentially using the oil, driving X miles (can't remember the mileage) and changing again.

thx for this note, very much appreciated.

i donít know the brand of fluid the previous owner used. when I had the fluids tested some time ago, Tom (jglubricants) outlined the procedure for transitioning to transynd so Iíll resurrect and follow that email. again, thx for the heads-up on the issue.

as a point of reference, Iím located in Silicon Valley and have found a local Transynd source @ $49 a gallon.

thx again for the feedback, folks.

Tags
ace