Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 06:31 AM   #1

Changing fluid and filter in an Alison 3000 tranny

Is it hard to change the fluid and filter in this tranny. Freightliner dealer wants 600 to 700 dollers including changing it to synthetic
richkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
It is not hard. Need large contanier to catch the fluid.
Also need a torque wrench for the bolts. Do not over tighten bolts will easily break or strip. There are 2 types of pans installed and each require a different filter.
Allison-transmission-filter-change.pdf
Old 07-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pretty sure you don't need to drop the pan. Allison recommends just replacing the external screw on filter. To drain the pan there's a drain plug just like your oil pan.
Just did mine last month, no harder than changing your oil.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
Pretty sure you don't need to drop the pan. Allison recommends just replacing the external screw on filter. To drain the pan there's a drain plug just like your oil pan.
Just did mine last month, no harder than changing your oil.
I was told by Freightliner locally that mines has 2 internal filters
Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
Yes, I figured that was the case. Just need to see which version you need.
There are 2 access plates that need removed after draining the pan. The filters are behind the 2 plates. The document I attached should help you determine which pan you have and the filter part numbers.

Are you replacing Transynd or switching to Transynd?
Have you thought about having the fluid tested before changing?
Old 07-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post

Yes, the 3000/4000 transmissions have 2 identical filters. If you look at the bottom surface of your transmission, you will see the two filter cover plates, side by side. If you go to an Allison dealer and get the two filter kit (make sure it's really Allison brand and High Capacity), it will contain all needed O rings and gaskets. There are two lengths of filter but a call to your chassis manufacturer will give you the length you need.

It's pretty straight forward and you will lose between 1-2 gallons of fluid during a filter change. If you are changing the fluid also, there is a drain plug that's a reverse of the standard 3/8" socket. I believe the torque value for the filter cover bolts is 38-45 ft/pounds. The drain plug is 25 pounds. Be careful as the transmission case is aluminum.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Yes, I figured that was the case. Just need to see which version you need.
There are 2 access plates that need removed after draining the pan. The filters are behind the 2 plates. The document I attached should help you determine which pan you have and the filter part numbers.

Are you replacing Transynd or switching to Transynd?
Have you thought about having the fluid tested before changing?
I haven't had anything tested but the owner's manual says to replace transmission fluid at 70,000 miles and we just purchased this and it has 77000 miles on it the original owner didn't appear as if he did a lot of maintenance on it so I'm figuring it's probably a safe bet to change it
Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Changing fluid and filter in an Alison 3000 tranny

Testing gives you a good picture of the fluid and transmission health.
JG Lubricants is one of the best for testing transmission fluid.
If you do not have Transynd it most likely needs changed. Usually a sticker is placed somewhere in engine compartment. Also may want to consider switching to Transynd. It requires less maintenance.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #9

Do it yourself and use a synthetic fluid. Easy to do.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When I first bought our rig in 2008 I checked around to have the transmission fluid changed. Cost from an authorized Allison service center was $650. Did the research and decided to try changing the oil myself. Not hard. I used 5 gallon bucket to catch the oil, put a large white plastic garbage bag in the bucket to help contain after filling. Bought the filters and oil on line for $250, well worth the effort.

I've since just changed the filters, only lost ~1 gallon of oil when I did this.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #11

How much fluid would I need to change every change the oil the fluid out of a born with synthetic does anybody have any recommendations as to what type of fluid I should get
Old 08-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #12

I've been wanting to change the filters in my trans for a while, but couldn't decide on whether or not to do it myself. Ended up taking it to Freightliner of Austin, Tx to get it done a couple of weeks ago.

They dropped the pan?? changed filters and added 5 gallons of Trans Fld. The labor charge alone was $560.00 with a total of $836.00. When I commented that the price was ridiculous, the service guy told me "I've heard that before" and pointed to the sign that stated service charge rate for motorhomes was $160/hr.

Next time, I WILL do this and all of the service items that I can perform rather than take it somewhere.
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrince View Post
I've been wanting to change the filters in my trans for a while, but couldn't decide on whether or not to do it myself. Ended up taking it to Freightliner of Austin, Tx to get it done a couple of weeks ago.

They dropped the pan?? changed filters and added 5 gallons of Trans Fld. The labor charge alone was $560.00 with a total of $836.00. When I commented that the price was ridiculous, the service guy told me "I've heard that before" and pointed to the sign that stated service charge rate for motorhomes was $160/hr.

Next time, I WILL do this and all of the service items that I can perform rather than take it somewhere.
What trans do you have?
The Allison 3000 and 4000 have two filters and they are replaceable without dropping the pan. There are two round ports with 6 bolts in each that the filters come out and go back in.
Takes me about an hour to do it laying on my back on my gravel driveway. Last TranSynd I bought I got a 5 gal can as it was cheaper that way. Changing both filters usually takes less than 1 gallon to refill.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrince View Post

X2 what Mr D said. I'm fat & 70 and I can do my own in no more than 2 hours just because I'm in no hurry. If they charged you for the labor to drop the pan then you were robbed. As Mr D said, there are two filter covers than drop down & filters are attached to the covers.

Did they use TES 295 (synthetic I.e. Transynd)? If so the costs should have been no more than:
1. High capacity filter kit $50.
2. TES295 fluid @ $38-42/gal
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid