Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Checking the Allison fluid level and other stuff

I went to the local Kenworth truck shop in Sacramento the other day and picked up the spin on filter for my 1000MH transmission and 5 gallons of Transynd fluid. I read here and elsewhere that I won't be able to completely drain the dextronIII on the first try and that changing from that to Transynd is a two part deal. No problem with that but I was only able to get about 2 1/4 gallons out when I drained it. Is this normal? Now the one thing I forgot to do is check the level before I changed the fluid,. We just purchased the motorhome about a month or so ago and I do recall the dealer guy saying that they did check all levels but I guess that means little in the scheme of things.
So after draining the fluid, I changed the spin on filter and added about the same amount of fluid back in. This brought the level right up to the cold check mark on the dipstick (I envy all you guys that are able to check the level with your little dash pad). This all happened a couple of days ago and reading in the manual that I need to get it up to operating temps to perform the hot level check, I did that today. It's a pretty warm day today so I drove down to my gas stop and filled up then up hiway 80 about 20 miles and back home, where I let it idle for a couple minutes and check the level. It's about halfway between the cold mark and the hot mark. So my question is, if you have the same transmission, what is the difference between your hot and cold levels. My plan is to add more fluid in small doses when I go out again at say 20 mile increments until I reach the hot level on the stick.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nobody have an opinion about the difference between the cold and hot check? I would think that if one is on the mark (cold) then the hot should be fairly close, of course I don't have a gauge to tell me what the hot temp was though it was a fairly hot day and I was driving up and down a mountain freeway to warm it up. Engine coolant temps fluctuated 199-207 degrees so, I have to think the transmission fluid temp got to normal operating temps as well.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #3

Checking the Allison fluid level and other stuff

Deleted

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 06-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
No?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the level is correct cold than leave it there. Dont attempt to get the level to the hot mark. The reason I say this is someday you will be pulling up a tough grade and the temp will go up and the oil will expand. It takes a lot of heat to bring the oil up to "HOT"
So what I would do is when you know the oil is hot from a heavy pull and I mean a tough day at the office. Pull over and check it. See where the level is. You may find that it is close to the hot mark.
As you describe you are in the operating range.
I have a lot of experience with Allison Transmissions but I would hope others will chime in. The Allison does not like to be overfull when hot. Nasty things happen!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok, in a couple of weeks we'll be heading up 80 form Auburn to Truckee, it seems like that should be a pretty fair workout. I just don't want to do any damage by running it too low on fluid but I guess these transmissions are pretty tough. This is my first Allison though. Thanks for your comment, narampa.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
Ok, in a couple of weeks we'll be heading up 80 form Auburn to Truckee, it seems like that should be a pretty fair workout. I just don't want to do any damage by running it too low on fluid but I guess these transmissions are pretty tough. This is my first Allison though. Thanks for your comment, narampa.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just changed to Transynd last week on my 2004 Allison 1000. I had been having a problem of harsh downshifts when stopping.

The Transynd cured that problem. I had changed the Dexron iii about every 15,000 or two years and I'm at 80,000 now.

I drain into a measured bucket and it drained exactly 10 quarts, which is what I put back in.

I replaced the filter and moved the magnet from the old one...did you move the magnet to the new filter?

Drove the coach for half an hour...90 degrees outside and got it hot. Had to add about a third of a quart to get it up to the full mark when it is hot...think that had to do with the filter.

I have always kept mine at the full line when at operating temperature.

Bought my filter and Transynd at the Allison dealer in Fresno. He dropped the price because of an ordering mistake and I paid $37 a gallon for four gallons.

I plan on doing another full drain after a short trip next week. Then headed to Utah over Donner Pass in July.

Will stay in Truckee on or about July 11 for a night. Love the cold at night there!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Arch, yes I did remember to clean and change the magnet. I read all I could find before doing the service. I will probably adjust the level slowly on our next outing up the hill. We'll be spending the July 4th extended weekend along the Truckee river. +100 degree days here in Auburn week so we are looking forward to getting up that hill.
Cheapest fluid I could find was $43/gal at Sacramento Truck, another Allison service affiliate nearby wanted $72/gal. I bought 5 gallons so I should be all set for the next change as well.

Tags
allison, fluid