Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Diagnostic Ports

I have a 6 pin port under the steering wheel. I'm only getting engine information on my recently purchased BlueFire from that port.

I also have a 9 pin port in the front run electrical compartment. It's labeled "transmission". However I'm only getting the same engine information as my inside 6 pin port. No transmission data.

I've reviewed my electrical drawings but that hasn't shed any information.

In this era coach, is the transmission sending info to those ports?

I know it was about the transition years for 6 to 9 pin, but it seems odd that I'd have that 9 pin labeled "Tranny" but only engine data showing.

The shift pad and Allison 3000 transmission all seem to be working fine.

Are there fuses involved? Maybe loose wiring, but i'm not sure where to look on the transmission or maybe a control box.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #2

Which Bluefire do you have, the 6 pin or 9 pin? The 6 pin Bluefire only supports J1708 so perhaps your tranny is on another bus. My coach has both J1708 and J1939.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:54 PM   #3

On my coach my connector is under the inspection cover drivers side dash between the windshield and steering wheel. It is a special plug for the Allison techs. Follow the link at you are probably looking for this:

https://allisontransmissionpart.com/...3&cats=34:133:

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingNow View Post
Which Bluefire do you have, the 6 pin or 9 pin? The 6 pin Bluefire only supports J1708 so perhaps your tranny is on another bus. My coach has both J1708 and J1939.
BlueFire only offers the 9 pin now. Not sure when they stopped making the 6 pin. There is an adapter from a 3rd party that BlueFire recommends.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I didn't mention in original post, but within the BlueFire app, I did check the J1708 box, then the J1939 box, then both. I still don't get any transmission information at either plug by the steering column or the outside electrical.

Just seems strange.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
On my coach my connector is under the inspection cover drivers side dash between the windshield and steering wheel. It is a special plug for the Allison techs. Follow the link at you are probably looking for this:

https://allisontransmissionpart.com/...3&cats=34:133:
If I'm not mistaken, that link is what BlueFire refers to as the OBD-II data bus.

I've scoured the coach and I haven't been able to find that. BF mentions in all their literature I've read that that particular plug is usually found in Autos/small trucks (such as pickups). I know there are always exceptions and it seems like back in the early 2000 model years, mfg's were using all of them, or combinations of them. Heck, I have both the 6 and 9 pin ports on my coach.

I would think I would have transmission data on a port that is labeled 'transmission'.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that link is what BlueFire refers to as the OBD-II data bus.

I've scoured the coach and I haven't been able to find that. ...
I would think I would have transmission data on a port that is labeled 'transmission'.
The ODB connector is 16 pin whereas the link is a 12 pin, so no. The 12 pin is probably Allison proprietary.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I didn't mention in original post, but within the BlueFire app, I did check the J1708 box, then the J1939 box, then both. I still don't get any transmission information at either plug by the steering column or the outside electrical.

Just seems strange.
I didn't know the BF would connect to both busses. I was wondering about this since that's my situation. I believe the Scan Gauge D is specific to a bus. I'm using an Autel code reader right now but I was thinking about something more usable when driving. Being able to pick up data from either bus to get a complete picture would be great.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I didn't know the BF would connect to both busses. I was wondering about this since that's my situation. I believe the Scan Gauge D is specific to a bus. I'm using an Autel code reader right now but I was thinking about something more usable when driving. Being able to pick up data from either bus to get a complete picture would be great.
yes, it does connect to both busses (actually 3 busses if you count the OBD-II), but you need the 3rd party adapter for anything other than the 9 pin. BF even has links to the 3rd party supplier so they make it pretty easy. www.bluefire-llc.com