Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #1

Can I down shift on steep down hills simply by pushing the down arrow?

Can the retatder be reprogrammed to downshift to second gear instead of fourth gear?

2008 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
JOC1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #2

Can the retatder be reprogrammed to downshift to second gear instead of fourth gear?

2008 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
JOC1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You can press the down button, but the transmission will not downshift if your speed is excessive for the gear you have selected.

I believe you have an exhaust brake, and I also believe the transmission can be reprogrammed to select 2nd gear upon the activation of the exhaust brake,

I know the newer transmissions can be reprogrammed.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amy Ann:

Can the retatder be reprogrammed to downshift to second gear instead of fourth gear? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can manually downshift, but like Route 66 said the transmission will not downshift until the engine RPM's are safe. You may have to use the service brakes to slow it down some before it downshifts.

Yes you can get it reprogrammed, but you may not like it going down to 2nd. Many with this program have changed it to only go to 4th instead.

The way you are setup now if you want additional exhaust braking you can always manually downshift to 3rd or 2nd.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amy Ann:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to do a lot of manual downshifting on big grades and then I installed VSpc where I can see what gear the transmission is actually in. I found that the transmission is very smart and since I rarely manually mess with the gears. Main thing is to have a lot of RPMs.

On a separate note in going to these Allison seminars years back we were told that the transmission has a memory and adapts to your driving style. Well I have been in storage a lot and only on short trips but I went out on a long trip for 10 days and when I started my shifting was very rough to the point I said I need to get this thing into Allison and get it checked out before a big trip this fall.

Well after a couple of days the rough shifting went away and coming home yesterday it was shifting very smooth as I pulled the Grapevine and then down into Los Angeles. Never touched the key pad once to manually shift.

So maybe this thing is 'smart'!!!!

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #6

Coming down a grade with OD in the off position. Gear selector in D is 4th with the Allison 1000. Yet when I pull the selector into 3rd nothing happens. If you go to 2nd the trans down shifts to 3rd for a second and goes for 2nd.
Same thing going up hill but you can hold third using throttle pressure.
Can the trans be reprogramed so each position holds the gear as needed?
Chris
32vSouthwind is offline   Reply With Quote