Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2022, 06:01 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Driving in tow mode

We were just at Safe-T-Plus for the steering stabilizer & Koni shock. While on our test drive a tec asked if we drive in tow mode. My answer was no when not towing & when towing only used to down shift when stopping or on grades. He explained we should be driving in tow mode 100% of time towing or not. Claimed do to size & weight of a motorhome shifting will be more efficient & better for transmission. Shifting is based on weight. Has anyone else been told this or follow that procedure? Always learning something new. Thanks
Edd
Cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2022, 06:07 AM   #2

What kind of rig--do you mean tow mode or econ mode?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:15 AM   #3

Just sharing info on my rig. I have a 2019 Winnebago Class C and it is recommended to drive in tow/haul mode 100% of the time with the Ford 6.8L V 10. We have different rigs but I thought I would just share this ....
Old 05-25-2022, 07:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
In my opinion, the chassis of a motorhome is ALWAYS 'hauling' something - the 'home' part of the RV. Many motorhomes are just a few thousand pounds shy of the max weight of the chassis, and of course many are over. Just because you're not towing anything doesn't mean that the chassis isn't hauling something. It makes perfect sense to me to use tow/haul all of the time.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:02 AM   #5

We always use the Tow mode option because the transmission shifting points appear to result in smoother acceleration and deceleration transitions putting less strain on the engine.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:08 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cloud buster you might want to add a signature line. As far as tow mode I use it for when I am towing. Will try using it next time not towing to see if it drives different.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we had gassers we wouldn't use tow/haul unless we were going up and down hills or I was otherwise unhappy with how it was shifting. The only thing it does is slightly modify the shift points so that it won't change gears so much. It doesn't boost the power or anything. In normal highway driving, the coach spends most of its time in top gear, so it doesn't do anything at all, but it will cost you some mileage because it will spend more time in lower gears with higher RPMs. When we had the toad attached I used it more frequently, but again, not out on the open highway. If you aren't getting an unusually frequent number of shifts, you don't need it on. It can help a tiny bit going downhill or down an off-ramp, but not as much as downshifting will, and you can turn it on and off when you need it instead of just leaving it on all the time.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:36 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2007 W22 chassis with the Allison 1000 - I don't think we have a tow mode. I just put it in D and drive it. I do keep the Grade Brake turned on all the time.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Year, make and model would really help us help you.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Without the make, model driver line, etc, we can't provide much meaningful help. Kind of like you stating I have a Dog,,,,what color is it.

By the photo in your profile, it is a gasser. When we had gassers, I always used the tow/haul mode for better control on braking, deceleration and accelerating. After all, the RV is always hauling a big load with just the chassis.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:31 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
What kind of rig--do you mean tow mode or econ mode?
Sorry, it is a 2021 Fleetwood Bounder 33C with the 7.3L V-8. Another question when going up a steeper grade we hear something kick in sounding like a blower. Is there something in the transmission or engine for cooling? Point taken on always hauling even when not towing. We weighted rig on our first longer trip out with only half a tank of water (50 gal) & I was shocked at only 400 under gross & we do not carry a bunch of extra stuff.
Cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudbuster View Post
Sorry, it is a 2021 Fleetwood Bounder 33C with the 7.3L V-8. Another question when going up a steeper grade we hear something kick in sounding like a blower. Is there something in the transmission or engine for cooling? Point taken on always hauling even when not towing. We weighted rig on our first longer trip out with only half a tank of water (50 gal) & I was shocked at only 400 under gross & we do not carry a bunch of extra stuff.
You are probably hearing the hydraulic engine fan clutch engaging as the engine temperature rises. This would be normal and a good thing.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:57 AM   #13

I use tow mode 100% of the time (F53 24 K chassis with the 7.3 V8). When the engine temp gets up 215 ° the fan clutch will lock up, it sounds like a jet engine. I've never had it stay that way for more than a few seconds as the increased air flow drops the engine temp very quickly.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:40 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
We have a 2007 W22 chassis with the Allison 1000 - I don't think we have a tow mode. I just put it in D and drive it. I do keep the Grade Brake turned on all the time.
The Grade Brake on your Workhorse chassis performs a similar function as the Tow/Haul mode on Ford Chassis.

Tags
tow