Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #1

Fluid level makes no sense…

2000 Winnebago cat 3126 with Allison md3060…

I’ve owned it for a couple years, no transmission issues.

Prior owner at one point got towed because tranny was shifting funny… reportedly 14 quarts low on oil?!

This thing has no oil leaks. Zero. Trans is bone dry on the outside.

Just for kicks, I decided to use the keypad to check the oil level. Flat ground, hot, at idle.

7 quarts low?!

Looked at the dipstick, motor off and sitting 1/2 an hour. Parked in slight decline, front nose down about 5 degrees.

Oil on the dipstick is 4 inches over the high mark! Now, I know you’re supposed to check with the motor running at idle, but would that explain it running 4 inches high?!

Figured the sensible thing to do is just drain the oil in there and see how much come out.

Manual says 19Q with filter change, but that doesn’t take oil cooler into account. And, I don’t need to change the filters as that was done 10,000 miles ago, now at 78,000 miles.

Any thoughts on this? Not really sure how it can be low on oil if it looks bone dry or close to it. No drips on driveway, nothing…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 12:05 PM   #2

The code o-L-7-o indicates the sump temp too low for an accurate reading .

o-L-L-o-7 would be for 7 quarts low .

What code did you get ?
Old 05-21-2022, 12:50 PM   #3

Well. I just saw that in the manual and am second guessing myself. I checked at the end of a 3 hour run so trans should have been at temp.

I checked the dipstick again at idle running 4 hours after the trip ended. It’s still 2 inches above the high full mark.

I know the dipsticks aren’t accurate. But that’s a huuuuge discrepancy.

7 quarts low is 33% of capacity. I should be oozing oil all over the engine compartment.

Any sense in draining it and seeing what’s in there?

If I recheck and it truly say it’s low 7 quarts I’m leery of adding it. Also in another thread I asked if the ecu should throw a code if oils very low and I thought the manual said it would? No codes.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:08 PM   #4

19 quarts is the normal change quantity with filters. Oil cooler is not drained.

Buy the 5 gallon/20 quart pail as the most cost effective.

Don't know what to suggest other than drain and refill with correct quantity.

If near change time, that is what I would do.

I agree with your being 7 quarts off in either direction makes "Plan B" the only reasonable option. Then with transmission warm, mark correct marks on the dipstick.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #5

I'd be more inclined to think you have an issue with the trans temp sensor .

I'm not aware of any way to check the sensor reading against a temp check of the case of the trans ; but I'll have a look around .
Old 05-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #6

Fluid was changed 2-3 years ago. Hmmm. May still drain into a clean container to see how much is in there. If the fluid looks good I would think reusing it would be fine.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #7

Any idea of capacity if I leave the oil filters? They’re pretty new.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are considering reusing the oil go ahead and pull the filters then reinstall the old filters and oil.

I’m remembering that a lot of oil comes out with the filters.

As far as the oil temperature sending unit being functional do you have a way to see / read the trans oil temperature?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
If you are considering reusing the oil go ahead and pull the filters then reinstall the old filters and oil.

I’m remembering that a lot of oil comes out with the filters.

As far as the oil temperature sending unit being functional do you have a way to see / read the trans oil temperature?
Wouldn’t removing the oil filters destroy the gaskets/o rings?

I gave this a bit more thought…

Isn’t there a level the oil should be at when motors cold and sitting overnight?

Would removing the dipstick and just measuring a level at the sump be definitive?

The oil on my dipstick is more than 4 inches over the tip of the dip stick. That suggests it higher than the pan depth, as that’s 3.5-4 inches deep.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #10

L07 is too cold. Do not add oil. Do not do anything. Drove it and re check when warm
steveoreano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoreano View Post
L07 is too cold. Do not add oil. Do not do anything. Drove it and re check when warm
I thought OLLO7 was 7 quarts low, no?

Trying to figure out how trans registered “cold” after driving 3 hours and stopping for fuel…?

It was warm… or at least as warm as I can get it…
Old 05-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
For what it's worth our coach (MD3060) has always displayed OL7, even after several hours of driving. I just go by the dipstick. Two new filters and 19 quarts of Transynd as per Allisons capacity specifications.
Dipstick registers slightly over the full line warm.
I think you're probably fine. I certainly wouldn't risk contamination draining and re-using the oil. One piece of grit could ruin your whole day.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:37 AM   #13

What if it is overfilled by a bunch… what’s the risk? Google suggests the trans would run hot and overheat… well, that’s not happening. The trans temp gauge barely budges.

If it’s underfilled, I would assume it’s the same, and poor shifting.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:10 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I use the shift pad to check my oil level, this is the recommended way by Allison.

I do have a dipstick that I can access in the bedoom but not convenient. Any chance that the dipstick was changed and possibly wrong.

But I also have a dipstick on the bottom of the transmission. Have to crawl underneath to access. You may also have this and you might try that dipstick to check oil level.

Did you confirm whether you have a 4" or 2" sump? Will be a difference in refill amount of +7 quarts.

The transmission relies on a Oil Level Sensor to check the level via the shift pad. If the sensor is bad it may not read right. This might be your problem.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid