Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you currently running oil analysis on your engine or your Allison transmission?
Yes. I'm a believer in oil analysis! 261 35.85%
Not at this time but I might if I knew more about it. 402 55.22%
No. I think it costs too much. 43 5.91%
No. I don't believe in it. I think it's pure "bunk" ! 26 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 728. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #1415

So looking at the Allison approved atf list Valvoline is OK for the 668 but does not show on the 29. Is it OK for 295 since the bottle says it's approved by GM?
Texdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2022, 04:38 PM   #1416

[QUOTE=Texdan;6043519]So looking at the Allison approved atf list Valvoline is OK for the 668 but does not show on the 295. Is it OK for 295 since the bottle says it's approved by GM? Also, was looking at my manual and the change intervals are mileage only (45k, 90k, etc) and nothing about 'or years'. I only drive about 5k miles per year so do I need to change at say 5 years or go only by mileage like the Chevy manual says?
Old 01-10-2022, 01:20 AM   #1417
dp7

Fluid level mystery

Tom, a question regarding fluid level. I recently had the fluid & filters replaced on my 2017 3000MH at an Allison authorized Freightliner dealer. The factory fill of TES 295 fluid was replaced with TES 668.

After driving the 320 miles back home, I pulled the coach into the exact same level location that all previous fluid levels have been checked, using the oil level sensor display on the shift pad. The oil level display showed OK as it always has in the past.

Convinced that all was well, the following month I headed out on a trip from California to Florida. When I returned home I pulled the coach back into the same level location used in all previous checks before putting the coach in the garage. The oil level sensor now displayed a 2 qt low message.

Thinking that I might have an oil leak, I crawled under the coach & inspected carefully. No leaks were observed anywhere.

Any idea why I received two different readings when checked in the same level spot and no oil leaked out between the readings?
Old 01-10-2022, 09:07 AM   #1418

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
[QUOTE=Texdan;6044084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
So looking at the Allison approved atf list Valvoline is OK for the 668 but does not show on the 295. Is it OK for 295 since the bottle says it's approved by GM? Also, was looking at my manual and the change intervals are mileage only (45k, 90k, etc) and nothing about 'or years'. I only drive about 5k miles per year so do I need to change at say 5 years or go only by mileage like the Chevy manual says?
The TES-668 fluids are backwards compatible; so, a licensed TES-295 is OK for use and the drain intervals should be based on fluid analysis since these fluids have exceptional performance and longetity (durability). I would do annual fluid analysis and both Allison and GM will be OK with you doing that as long as you do maintenance per the oil analysis results. Typically, those fluids will last several years and have no "breakdown" at all. It would be throwing money down the drain to just change the fluids every 45,000 miles.

FYI - Fluid change intervals really depend the most on the amount of mechanical and heat stress cycles the fluid sees over some time period (typically years). But, it's important to monitor through fluid analysis because that will also pick up any signs of contamination and/or wear.

Hope this helps !!
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:14 AM   #1419

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Tom, a question regarding fluid level. I recently had the fluid & filters replaced on my 2017 3000MH at an Allison authorized Freightliner dealer. The factory fill of TES 295 fluid was replaced with TES 668.

After driving the 320 miles back home, I pulled the coach into the exact same level location that all previous fluid levels have been checked, using the oil level sensor display on the shift pad. The oil level display showed OK as it always has in the past.

Convinced that all was well, the following month I headed out on a trip from California to Florida. When I returned home I pulled the coach back into the same level location used in all previous checks before putting the coach in the garage. The oil level sensor now displayed a 2 qt low message.

Thinking that I might have an oil leak, I crawled under the coach & inspected carefully. No leaks were observed anywhere.

Any idea why I received two different readings when checked in the same level spot and no oil leaked out between the readings?
Could be that there was a significant change in fluid temperature between the different readings. The fluid has a "coefficient of expansion" factor meaning that for every degree in temperature change, the overall volume changes. Not sure, without doing some calculations that you'd see that much difference .... so, I'd keep checking it and try to ensure that the fluid temperature is reasonalbly stable from measurement to measurement. Also, I suppose you could have an internal leak that would only show up in a fluid analysis. In essence, there's an outside chance that the cooling circuit is leaking from fluid to coolant and visa versa. Probably the least likely. I'd do a fluid analysis to rule out any cross-communication of transmission fluid and coolant.

Also, make sure that the "breather" on top of the transmission housing is free from dirt/debris. If the breather is clogged it can mess with the fluid volume measurements. I've seen some breathers with "dirt clods" formed on them.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:53 AM   #1420

[QUOTE=hzjcm8;6044806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdan View Post

The TES-668 fluids are backwards compatible; so, a licensed TES-295 is OK for use and the drain intervals should be based on fluid analysis since these fluids have exceptional performance and longetity (durability). I would do annual fluid analysis and both Allison and GM will be OK with you doing that as long as you do maintenance per the oil analysis results. Typically, those fluids will last several years and have no "breakdown" at all. It would be throwing money down the drain to just change the fluids every 45,000 miles.

FYI - Fluid change intervals really depend the most on the amount of mechanical and heat stress cycles the fluid sees over some time period (typically years). But, it's important to monitor through fluid analysis because that will also pick up any signs of contamination and/or wear.

Hope this helps !!
Thanks Tom appreciate the info. Talked to a Chevy dealer yesterday and they basically said the same thing.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:25 AM   #1421

Texas Boomers Club
Tom,

Thank you for the investment in this community. On a 2013 GMC Duramax/Allison. I am pretty sure that it was standard factory fill of Dex VI. I tried to read all 102 pages of this thread, but the initial change to transynd, should that have been a double drain and refill?
I did not but it is time top get the fluid analyzed. I have been replacing the red spin on filter regularly.
Initial change to Transynd was @ ~80,000 miles.. Currently at 246,000 miles.

Thank you,

Walter
Old 01-13-2022, 01:27 AM   #1422
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Could be that there was a significant change in fluid temperature between the different readings. The fluid has a "coefficient of expansion" factor meaning that for every degree in temperature change, the overall volume changes. Not sure, without doing some calculations that you'd see that much difference .... so, I'd keep checking it and try to ensure that the fluid temperature is reasonalbly stable from measurement to measurement. Also, I suppose you could have an internal leak that would only show up in a fluid analysis. In essence, there's an outside chance that the cooling circuit is leaking from fluid to coolant and visa versa. Probably the least likely. I'd do a fluid analysis to rule out any cross-communication of transmission fluid and coolant.

Also, make sure that the "breather" on top of the transmission housing is free from dirt/debris. If the breather is clogged it can mess with the fluid volume measurements. I've seen some breathers with "dirt clods" formed on them.
Thank you Tom! The fluid temperature during the two readings was about the same. Both were conducted immediately after driving about 300 miles with an outside air temp of about 60 degrees.

A check of the coolant reservoir did not reveal any oily residue from a cross leak between the trans fluid & coolant. The coolant level was also normal which I assume would be higher if two quarts of trans fluid had leaked into it.

I will check the trans breather next.

One other thing I recall from the trip which may or may not be related, was a vibration in the steering wheel between 40 & 45 mph. At other speeds no vibration was noted. The shaking of the steering wheel felt like a tire out of balance -- which maybe it was. I was wondering if the trans was truly 2 quarts low, if that could cause a transmission vibration or shudder in the 40 to 45 mph range, but not at other speeds. What do you think?
Old 01-14-2022, 10:11 AM   #1423

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Thank you Tom! The fluid temperature during the two readings was about the same. Both were conducted immediately after driving about 300 miles with an outside air temp of about 60 degrees.

A check of the coolant reservoir did not reveal any oily residue from a cross leak between the trans fluid & coolant. The coolant level was also normal which I assume would be higher if two quarts of trans fluid had leaked into it.

I will check the trans breather next.

One other thing I recall from the trip which may or may not be related, was a vibration in the steering wheel between 40 & 45 mph. At other speeds no vibration was noted. The shaking of the steering wheel felt like a tire out of balance -- which maybe it was. I was wondering if the trans was truly 2 quarts low, if that could cause a transmission vibration or shudder in the 40 to 45 mph range, but not at other speeds. What do you think?
You're getting outside my area of expertise; but, I'd have someone check the universal joint(s) to see if there's something wrong there. I think a vibration in a specific speed band might indicate driveline torsional vibrations. That could effect the output seal which could be leaking. I'd take it to an Allison approved shop.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:13 PM   #1424

Newmar Owners Club
Just did my 5 year oil and filter change on the MH4000. I only had 26k miles but by manual was up on time. Invest in some plastic razor blades and gasket removal solvent. Took me all day to carefully clean the aluminum machined surfaces. Installed drain plug torqued to 20ftlbs. and new filters installed torqued to 40ftlbs. Was to tired and covered in TranSynd to add the oil this evening, so in the morning will try and figure out how much oil I drained. Have others had this issue with gasket material being so stubborn?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:32 AM   #1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Just did my 5 year oil and filter change on the MH4000. I only had 26k miles but by manual was up on time. Invest in some plastic razor blades and gasket removal solvent. Took me all day to carefully clean the aluminum machined surfaces. Installed drain plug torqued to 20ftlbs. and new filters installed torqued to 40ftlbs. Was to tired and covered in TranSynd to add the oil this evening, so in the morning will try and figure out how much oil I drained. Have others had this issue with gasket material being so stubborn?

I have taken Transynd test samples from my Allison about every 10,000 miles for over 60,000 miles, and had Blackstone test it. Total transmission miles over 112,000 miles.

The results have been perfect throughout this testing process.

I didnít need to change the gaskets.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:32 AM   #1426

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I have taken Transynd test samples from my Allison about every 10,000 miles for over 60,000 miles, and had Blackstone test it. Total transmission miles over 112,000 miles.

The results have been perfect throughout this testing process.

I didnít need to change the gaskets.
I do basically the same thing....have my trans fluid tested by JG Labs (Tom's company) every year, regardless of mileage. As long as it tests good, no fluid change is necessary.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #1427

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I do basically the same thing....have my trans fluid tested by JG Labs (Tom's company) every year, regardless of mileage. As long as it tests good, no fluid change is necessary.
Same here.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, M&G 2.0 Proportional Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:14 PM   #1428

Newmar Owners Club
Former Allison Transmission Fluids Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post

Well if you ever drain deep dish sump on MH4000 and remove both filters, mine took 8 gallons and then had to top off with 3 more quarts of TranSynd 668. After adding the 8 gallons started engine and then placed on high idle until transmission was reading 120 degrees. Tapped brake and shifted into D, N, R twice and then back to neutral held both arrows and prognostic showed low 3 qts. Shut down engine and added the 3 quarts and did the above process again and everything was OK, then I reset my Oil and Filter life, you do this with engine off but ignition turned to run. It gave me something to do being newly retired!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote