Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you currently running oil analysis on your engine or your Allison transmission?
Yes. I'm a believer in oil analysis! 274 35.72%
Not at this time but I might if I knew more about it. 425 55.41%
No. I think it costs too much. 45 5.87%
No. I don't believe in it. I think it's pure "bunk" ! 27 3.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 767. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2022, 11:12 AM   #1443

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Thanks Sundancer,
It's true. As you suggest, Allison owners can only assess the true condition of their fluid and transmission through transmission fluid analysis !!!

Here's a link to my Technical Paper that might interest you all. https://www.jglubricantservices.com/docs/rv_technical_sheet.pdf
Thank you for helping with useful information Mr Transynd!

I was looking for a FB poster that has a 95 Fleetwood and I have a 93 PaceArrow with a 3000 in it, the specs say Dex II but his I am not sure. In the posts is there a table for the years of transmissions that old? I see spec for TES 295 and others yet do not know what the Dex II was 295/468? What can it be replaced by, since my truck shop a few years ago tested it and said, it was good to go. I replace my engine oil though, they do a lot of diesel work.

1993 Pace Arrow 8.3L Allison 3000 no problems with anything, I steered the 95 owner to your forum..
Can Transynd replace DexII?

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #1444

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes the Transynd can replace all the older spec fluids. I replaced the old Dex with the Transynd in my 1995 Allison MD3060 years ago and have no transmission issues.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #1445

FYI the latest version of Transynd is 668 and replaces 295 and other previous recommended fluids.
my the Allison website as they have recent info on fluids including Transynd 668.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:58 PM   #1446

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
295 and 668 are totally compatible. They made 668 so it would be compatible with other transmissions....and still be good for us.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #1447

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by miwok View Post
Thank you for helping with useful information Mr Transynd!

I was looking for a FB poster that has a 95 Fleetwood and I have a 93 PaceArrow with a 3000 in it, the specs say Dex II but his I am not sure. In the posts is there a table for the years of transmissions that old? I see spec for TES 295 and others yet do not know what the Dex II was 295/468? What can it be replaced by, since my truck shop a few years ago tested it and said, it was good to go. I replace my engine oil though, they do a lot of diesel work.

1993 Pace Arrow 8.3L Allison 3000 no problems with anything, I steered the 95 owner to your forum..
Can Transynd replace DexII?
Yes. TranSynd can replace DEXRON-II and DEXRON-III where they are called for in Owner's Manuals. See attached file for information about history of GM's DEXRON specification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEXRON SPECIFICATION HISTORY.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	363385  
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:25 PM   #1448

Hello. I’m getting ready to change the fluid in an Allison 2000. I have a 5 gallon bucket of the 668 coming and think I should be able to do it twice with just draining the fluid from the pan. Since I’m doing it twice does it really matter if the fluid is hot? The temp in the little driving I’ve done hardly registers and may get over 140, on the long drive after I bought it may have registered 170-180.
Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:54 AM   #1449

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearranged View Post
Hello. I’m getting ready to change the fluid in an Allison 2000. I have a 5 gallon bucket of the 668 coming and think I should be able to do it twice with just draining the fluid from the pan. Since I’m doing it twice does it really matter if the fluid is hot? The temp in the little driving I’ve done hardly registers and may get over 140, on the long drive after I bought it may have registered 170-180.
Dearranged,

I've never actually done the experiment; but, I'm sure it's fine to drain the transmission at ambient temperature especially since you're doing the double drain and refill. I would suggest a short 30 minute drive between the two drains and refills.

Have a good day !!!
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:46 AM   #1450

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Dearranged,

I've never actually done the experiment; but, I'm sure it's fine to drain the transmission at ambient temperature especially since you're doing the double drain and refill. I would suggest a short 30 minute drive between the two drains and refills.

Have a good day !!!
Thanks Tom. I expect some miles between changes
Old 05-12-2022, 08:30 AM   #1451

Doing the 2 drain operation, tough to see that good fluid going down the hole. Lot brighter and clearer than the 1st drain though.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:03 PM   #1452

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
On my last coach although a 2005 gasser with a Allison 2100 I did only one drain and fill if I wanted to do another at another time I would have done it. Mine had the Dextron in it so I changed it. IMO too many get all focused in on two drain and fills. Wasteful! Do it a couple yrs later if it’s that important to you. My $.02
Old 05-13-2022, 04:33 AM   #1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearranged View Post
Doing the 2 drain operation, tough to see that good fluid going down the hole. Lot brighter and clearer than the 1st drain though.
Allison manuals I've read say OK to do a single change and use the appropriate change interval for the previous fluid if you are upgrading to Transynd from Dex.
You just can't use the higher mileage / longer interval for a fluid upgrade until the second drain & refill.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:50 PM   #1454

Question Transynd-668 Prices are Crazy at $78/gal

Sorry if this has been asked in the previous 104 pages! LoL

I have a 2010 Phaeton with 50,200 miles with an Allison 3000MH and while the previous single owner kept great records on all maintenance, I don’t see anything for transmission service. I’m leaving in a couple weeks for a long haul from Louisiana to the Colorado Rockies and am just going to figure it’s never had it before and draw a line in the sand and change the fluid and filters.

After pricing Transynd 668 today at $78 per gallon I about sucked in my shorts! That’s just damned insane from just 6 months ago at $45, but if I have to, I will.

The question I have is about the “Channel Partner Brands” like Valvoline Syngard, Shell Spirax, Mobil and even Kendal versions of Transynd 668 since the cost is significant..? I’ve always tried to stick to OEM filters & parts with all vehicles and run quality motor oils, but I just wasn’t sure when it came to the 668.

Any help to clear this up is appreciated..!
Old 08-30-2022, 03:06 PM   #1455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief6722 View Post

I have a 2010 Phaeton with 50,200 miles with an Allison 3000MH and while the previous single owner kept great records on all maintenance, I don’t see anything for transmission service. I’m leaving in a couple weeks for a long haul from Louisiana to the Colorado Rockies and am just going to figure it’s never had it before and draw a line in the sand and change the fluid and filters.

After pricing Transynd 668 today at $78 per gallon I about sucked in my shorts! That’s just damned insane from just 6 months ago at $45, but if I have to, I will.

The question I have is about the “Channel Partner Brands” like Valvoline Syngard, Shell Spirax, Mobil and even Kendal versions of Transynd 668 since the cost is significant..? I’ve always tried to stick to OEM filters & parts with all vehicles and run quality motor oils, but I just wasn’t sure when it came to the 668.

Has it got Transynd in it? If so, it's probably just fine. Ours has 107K on it so far and tests OK. Cheaper by far to test it and see than to replace it, and the OP is the guy who signed off on the spec and then formed a testing company. Hard to find someone more qualified to test it.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 03:25 PM   #1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief6722 View Post

I recently bought Allison Castrol TranSynd TES 668 for $38/gallon at a Stewart & Stevenson Allison transmission shop. Look them up and/or keep shopping! you certainly haven't found the right source yet.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote