Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you currently running oil analysis on your engine or your Allison transmission?
Yes. I'm a believer in oil analysis! 274 35.72%
Not at this time but I might if I knew more about it. 425 55.41%
No. I think it costs too much. 45 5.87%
No. I don't believe in it. I think it's pure "bunk" ! 27 3.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 767. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
If you want the most from TranSynd, and you currently don't have it in the transmission, then you'd want to drain the old fluid, change the filter, install TranSynd, drive it around for 1/2 hour or so, drain it again and then reinstall TranSynd. Then, you'll have the full benefit and probably be "fill for life". You'll just want to do a yearly fluid analysis to make sure it doesn't get contaminated in any way.
hcjcm8, This is what I have been suggesting to owners all along. The sooner the better!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #100

Mr. TransSynd,

I have a 1986 Bluebird Wanderlodge with the Allison MT654-CR transmission. I have heard that switching an older transmission from Dexron III to Transynd can result in seals leaking. Have you heard of any instances of leaks after switching to Transynd?

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #101

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGster View Post
Mr. TransSynd,

I have a 1986 Bluebird Wanderlodge with the Allison MT654-CR transmission. I have heard that switching an older transmission from Dexron III to Transynd can result in seals leaking. Have you heard of any instances of leaks after switching to Transynd?

Thanks,

Glenn
Glenn,

You should be OK with TranSynd. I have not heard of seal leakage like you mention. TranSynd ran all the same tests (plus more) for seals that DEXRON-III and DEXRON-VI fluids ran. So, they are chemically seal compatible.

The Wanderlodge is pretty cool !!!
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #102

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
TranSynd and Dexron III

Your answer is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know if it would be prudent for me to "mix" TranSynd and Dexron. Glad to know it won't destroy the transmission.
Thanks! Gary
92hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tom,

I have an MD3060 that I am sure has the Dexron so I want to change to Tran synd. (I will let Blackstone test it to be sure) I finally found an Allison procedure for changing fluids and it does not mention how to get the fluid out of the Torque Converter. Is there a way to do this?? For example, on my Ford Truck tranny I turn the TC until the TC drain plug is visible. Remove the plug and drain. When re-filling you have to start the engine and cycle through the gears to push the new fluid through the TC before putting it under load. Is there a way to do this with the MD3060.
Thanks Tom, glad your here!
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #105

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Greystroke,

You'll need to do a double drain and fill. Allison does not have a drain plug on the torque converter. So, drain it, change the filters and fill it with TranSynd. Then, drive it around for 1/2 hour or so and then drain it a second time and fill it again with TranSynd. You'll need between five and ten gallons to do this but then you're good for 300,000 miles unless it gets contaminated in some way (water, coolant, dirt, etc.). I'd check it once a year with oil analysis.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the answer. I suspected there was no way to drain the TC. I will give JG a call and see what I need kit wise. First I need to find out what type is in there. I have no idea. Also the analysis should show the condition of the internals of the transmission. I really need some baseline info on this old gal. It does work great and gives me fantastic economy. I would like to keep it that way.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #107

Hi Tom,

I have a Allison 1000 transmission in my motorhome, and it has had the two changes to full Transynd, and now has 32,000 miles on it. A couple of questions for you;

1. Can you use Transynd fluid from the filter you have just removed for analysis, or must it come from the pan. Is there a procedure you recommend for this.

2. What is your preferred method of checking for proper fluid level. A cold check, a check after a 20 minute drive, or hot after a long day on the road? And in each of these cases where should I look for the level on the stick.

By the way, my Allison dealer just sold me Mobil / Delvac TES-295 instead of the Transynd. They say that's what they are selling now, just as good and a little cheaper. Thanks very much for your help.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #108

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
Hi Tom,

I have a Allison 1000 transmission in my motorhome, and it has had the two changes to full Transynd, and now has 32,000 miles on it. A couple of questions for you;

1. Can you use Transynd fluid from the filter you have just removed for analysis, or must it come from the pan. Is there a procedure you recommend for this.

2. What is your preferred method of checking for proper fluid level. A cold check, a check after a 20 minute drive, or hot after a long day on the road? And in each of these cases where should I look for the level on the stick.

By the way, my Allison dealer just sold me Mobil / Delvac TES-295 instead of the Transynd. They say that's what they are selling now, just as good and a little cheaper. Thanks very much for your help.
Just for information. From the Allison web site:
Approved Product Listing as of 7/21/2011
TES 295 Approval Number Approved Marketer Product Brandname
AN-011001 Castrol Heavy Duty Lubricants TranSynd
AN-031002
BP Lubricants Autran Syn 295
AN-031003 Cognis Corporation Emgard 2805
AN-031004 International Truck & Engine Company Fleetrite Synthetic ATF
AN-051005
ExxonMobil Lubricants and Petroleum Specialties Company Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF
AN-071006
John Deere & Company HD SynTran
AN-1010007
Volvo Trucks North America Bulldog Synthetic ATF
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #109

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Greystroke,

You'll need to do a double drain and fill. Allison does not have a drain plug on the torque converter. So, drain it, change the filters and fill it with TranSynd. Then, drive it around for 1/2 hour or so and then drain it a second time and fill it again with TranSynd. You'll need between five and ten gallons to do this but then you're good for 300,000 miles unless it gets contaminated in some way (water, coolant, dirt, etc.). I'd check it once a year with oil analysis.
what is the fluid capacity of the torque converter used with the allison 5 speed with the 8.1 engine?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This was a concern of mine so I found some info in a Allison Tips document.

For a 3000 series with a 4 inch sump. Total initial fill is 29 quarts while for refill it is only 19 quarts. Which means when you drain you leave about 10 quarts in the transmission/torque converter. I guess most of this is in the TC.

For all 3000/4000 series overall depending on sump there is about 6-10 quarts remain. Thus the reason for the double fill Tom talks about.

This info is out of Mechanics Tips MT4015EN.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 07-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #111

Commercial Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
Hi Tom,

FDChief,

The oil from the filter is not the preferred location for transmission fluid sampling. If that's all you have, then it will work but it may give a bit higher wear metals reading since the wear metals may tend to be more concentrated than if you were to draw it from the sump. The transmission should be warm to get the most representative sample. I recommend you use a vacuum pump and 1/4" tubing to draw the sample. You can get these at your oil analysis supplier. I recommend an Advanced Analysis Kit the measures viscosity at 100C, wear metals, contaminants, and TAN (Total Acid Number). This will tell you everything you need to know about the condition of the transmission fluid. You should take the sample when the transmission is at operating temperature (around 175F) or maybe 1/2 hour of driving around.

To check for proper fluid level, you want it to be in the lower part of the HOT band at 175F (80C) with engine idling in PARK on a level surface.

Hope this helps !!!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #112

Thanks Tom. It does help. I forgot I can use my mighty vac pump to collect the sample.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote