RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you currently running oil analysis on your engine or your Allison transmission?
Yes. I'm a believer in oil analysis! 237 35.80%
Not at this time but I might if I knew more about it. 368 55.59%
No. I think it costs too much. 39 5.89%
No. I don't believe in it. I think it's pure "bunk" ! 22 3.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 662. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #1247

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Tom,
I just bought my first diesel RV. It's a ISL400 Cummins with a Allison 3000 trans. I have no service records from the prior owner, so I'm basically going to change every fluid that it has and start over. However, in the case of the transmission, I'd hate to dump out all that TransSyn if it's good, as the coach only has 61,000 miles on it ad I have no way of knowing if the TransSyn was ever out in by one of the two prior owners.

That being said, I tried to read through the previous 90 or so pages and got bleary eyed by about 20. My questions were probably answered at least one time and maybe more deep in the thread, but hopefully you'll be understanding and have patience with being asked yet again.

1- How many quarts does my Allison 3000 hold?

2- How many filters are on it, and is there one external and one internal? Does a sump have to be dropped to change any of the filters?

3- If I send you a sample of what's in there can you tell me what type of oil it is and if it needs to be changed?

4- If it's old school Dextron and needs to be changed, I understand I have to do a double change. I'll have to dump the old fluid, refill with the TransSyn, drive for 1/2 to one hour, dump all the fluid again, change the filters and fill up the final refill. Is that the sequence? How many quarts in total will I need for that in my 3000 transmission?

5- I want to check the engine oil, generator oil, transmission fluid, differential fluid, engine coolant and generator coolant to establish a baseline for everything. What would I need to order from you and what is the cost?

That should do it for now, thanks and again please excuse what I am sure are repeat questions.

Doug

1- How many quarts does my Allison 3000 hold?
Depends. Typically, you'd need (2) 5-gallon buckets of the Castrol TranSynd, in order to change it out twice, per my recommended practice. You'll get around 2-4 gallons from the sump and the lube filter cavity plus another quart or so from the main filter cavity. Some fluid will drain back from the cooling system and 1/2 the torque converter too depending on the fluid temperature and how long you take to change it out.

2- How many filters are on it, and is there one external and one internal? Does a sump have to be dropped to change any of the filters?
It is not necessary to remove the sump to change the fluid or filters. There are (2) filters (Main and Lube) that are accessed by removing the bolted flanges on the bottom of the transmission sump. Give Allison your transmission serial number (from the metal tag on the side of the control module) and they'll know the filter kit part number. The filters are completely interchangeable. Note: There's a 3rd filter on the control module but it does not get changed until overhaul. Do not try to access it.

3- If I send you a sample of what's in there can you tell me what type of oil it is and if it needs to be changed?
Yes; but you can't just mail the sample. Our system requires that you purchase a "pre-paid" test kit. Test kits can be ordered at the online store. I suggest you check our "RV" webpage at www.jglubricantservices.com/rv.html

4- If it's old school Dextron and needs to be changed, I understand I have to do a double change. I'll have to dump the old fluid, refill with the TransSyn, drive for 1/2 to one hour, dump all the fluid again, change the filters and fill up the final refill. Is that the sequence? How many quarts in total will I need for that in my 3000 transmission?
Your sequence is correct. For a double drain and refill, you'll need (2) 5-gallon buckets.

5- I want to check the engine oil, generator oil, transmission fluid, differential fluid, engine coolant and generator coolant to establish a baseline for everything. What would I need to order from you and what is the cost?
Again, visit our RV webpage. All the information is there.
I'm trying not to get in too much trouble by siting our webpages and online store; but, I'm here to help !!!

hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #1248

Thanks so much for that great information, Tom. I'll get on the site shortly and order up some test kits. FYI to everyone - Tom isn't trying to sell me kits, he PM'd me asking me to call him so that he wouldn't run afoul of the rules by posting his web information here. I told him that due to work constraints I wouldn't be able to call and asked him to post here so I could read it. Thanks again, Tom. You're a tremendous help.

Doug427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #1249

Allison 3000MH Temperature On The Rise. Why???

I have a 2004 Itasca "Horizon" 40AD with an Allison 3000M that has used Amsoil "Torque Drive" full synthetic since 2008, but last summer my transmission temperature seemed to be going up faster than ever before. So I'm wondering if this signals anything?

** In the past, the temperature of my transmission would never "move the needle" on flat roads; and it would only climb to a to 3/8 scale when when climbing a grade.

** Now the analog gauge registers 1/8 on flat roads and climbs higher when charging over the grade. (Just a relative observation.)

So my attention turned to checking my TripTek system, which will let me read my engine and transmission temperatures. (See pictures below.)

These show my engine temperature and tranny temperatures are operating in normal ranges, but I can still tell the tranny temperature is registering "higher" and "faster" than in the past. Also, I have driven 40,000 miles since my last Amsoil fluid change.

QUESTION: Why do you think am I seeing a 20F increase in transmission temperatures?

A) Does this indicate transmission wear now that I have 100,000 miles on the coach?

B) Is the Amsoil showing signs of wear at 40,000 miles?

C) Would Transend register higher temperatures over time and mileage? ...Off the low's when the fluid is new?

D) Do you think the Trans Cooler may be getting old? Note: To my knowledge my side radiator and cooler is clean. I wash it annually.

E) Could my OAT engine coolant need replacing?

Note: This stuff is also supposed to last 300,000 miles, but maybe that's too optimistic. It's never been changed and it's 16 years old with 100K miles. And I know the ph of my coolant is in spec, but I have not measured it more closely.

F) Is the Amsoil "Torque Drive" recognized by Allision as TES295 compliant? They say they are...

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1966.pdf

Here is the history of my tranny fluid and filter change history:

1) 2004 - New from the factory tranny filled with Transend (30K miles)
2) 2008 - New owner uses Torque Drive by Amsoil (30,000 to 60,000 miles)
3) 2015 - New owner changes tranny fluid and uses Torque Drive by Amsoil again and drove 40K miles to date. (3/1/2020).

When you look at the attached pictures, the first one use to be my normal temp on an 70F day 2 years ago. 184F /142F at 70F

The second picture is my temp last summer under 73F weather under near similar conditions... and you can see my engine and tranny temp is higher even though the engine temp is the same. 185F /164F at 73F

The third picture is last summer when climbing a grade in on a hot day: 201F /197F at 97F.

I'm not overly concerned, but I would like your opinion on what would raise tranny temperatures if all the other parameters can be assumed as remaining the same.

My apologies if this sounds like a hypothetical question. I don't mean it to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine 185 Trans 142.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	276702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine 185 Trans 164.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	276703  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine 201 Trans 197.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	276704  
Old 03-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Hi Folks,

My name is Tom Johnson and I was the former Transmission Fluids Engineer at Allison Transmission from 1990 until my retirement in 2009. I am a member of the Good Sam Club Class A motorhome forum and one of the members asked me to join the IRV2 forums.

I'm here to help with your questions about Allison Transmission fluid specifications, TranSynd, oil and coolant analysis, etc.

Let me know how I can help.

PS: You can call me "Mr. TranSynd" if you like..
Mr. Transynd,
What do you think of the new shift stick on the new Freightliners, Class A's, instead of the standard shift pad in most RV's?
terexgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:52 AM   #1251

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
I have a 2004 Itasca "Horizon" 40AD with an Allison 3000M that has used Amsoil "Torque Drive" full synthetic since 2008, but last summer my transmission temperature seemed to be going up faster than ever before. So I'm wondering if this signals anything?

** In the past, the temperature of my transmission would never "move the needle" on flat roads; and it would only climb to a to 3/8 scale when when climbing a grade.

** Now the analog gauge registers 1/8 on flat roads and climbs higher when charging over the grade. (Just a relative observation.)

So my attention turned to checking my TripTek system, which will let me read my engine and transmission temperatures. (See pictures below.)

These show my engine temperature and tranny temperatures are operating in normal ranges, but I can still tell the tranny temperature is registering "higher" and "faster" than in the past. Also, I have driven 40,000 miles since my last Amsoil fluid change.

QUESTION: Why do you think am I seeing a 20F increase in transmission temperatures?

A) Does this indicate transmission wear now that I have 100,000 miles on the coach?

C) Would Transend register higher temperatures over time and mileage? ...Off the low's when the fluid is new?

D) Do you think the Trans Cooler may be getting old? Note: To my knowledge my side radiator and cooler is clean. I wash it annually.

Note: This stuff is also supposed to last 300,000 miles, but maybe that's too optimistic. It's never been changed and it's 16 years old with 100K miles. And I know the ph of my coolant is in spec, but I have not measured it more closely.

F) Is the Amsoil "Torque Drive" recognized by Allision as TES295 compliant? They say they are...

3) 2015 - New owner changes tranny fluid and uses Torque Drive by Amsoil again and drove 40K miles to date. (3/1/2020).

When you look at the attached pictures, the first one use to be my normal temp on an 70F day 2 years ago. 184F /142F at 70F

The second picture is my temp last summer under 73F weather under near similar conditions... and you can see my engine and tranny temp is higher even though the engine temp is the same. 185F /164F at 73F

The third picture is last summer when climbing a grade in on a hot day: 201F /197F at 97F.

I'm not overly concerned, but I would like your opinion on what would raise tranny temperatures if all the other parameters can be assumed as remaining the same.

My apologies if this sounds like a hypothetical question. I don't mean it to be.
I recommend you do an oil analysis on the transmission fluid and a coolant analysis on the engine coolant. If they show good, then it may be a fan problem.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #1252

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terexgm View Post
Mr. Transynd,
What do you think of the new shift stick on the new Freightliners, Class A's, instead of the standard shift pad in most RV's?
Sorry. Haven't seen them.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:06 AM   #1253

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post

Sorry, but the Amsoil fluid is NOT approved by Allison Transmission Engineering. Amsoil literature used to state that they had "reverse engineered" the product from other approved fluids. This may be true, though I doubt it. But, even if it were the best fluid ever, as far as I know, they've never tested it against the Allison TES-295 specification. So, it has not been reviewed or approved by Allison Engineering. Otherwise, the Amsoil fluid would be listed on the Allison Approved Fluids List.

Refer to https://allisontransmission.com/part...highway-fluids