Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #1

I have a five speed allison on my Southwind/Workhorse chassis and sometimes, not always but it is getting to be more and more there is a wierd noise when shifting but once it has shifted the noise stopsand everything sounds normal.
It is when I start off, in overdrive and it is in first gear. When the shift is complete the noise stops and all is well. It is hard to explain what the noise sounds like...it is not a sudden sound or thud it is an even sound/hum or?
Does anyone have any ideas.
joco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #2

I have a five speed allison on my Southwind/Workhorse chassis and sometimes, not always but it is getting to be more and more there is a wierd noise when shifting but once it has shifted the noise stopsand everything sounds normal.
It is when I start off, in overdrive and it is in first gear. When the shift is complete the noise stops and all is well. It is hard to explain what the noise sounds like...it is not a sudden sound or thud it is an even sound/hum or?
Does anyone have any ideas.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #3

Welcome to irv2.com! That sound can mean several things. Don't wait until anything worsens, get your RV to a Allison authorized repair center ASAP!
The Allison FAQ page may be of use, but an Allison authorized repair center will read the computer codes and narrow the focus to specific areas of concern.

How long since you've had your transmission serviced and inspected? If the transmission is slipping the computer will cause a "limp mode" condition, limiting engine RPM, speed and gear selection until the fault is rectified.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #4

Thanks for your response. I will make an appointment tomorrow. The last time I took it to our local Workhorse/Allison service center, I had to diagnos the problem myself and they never agreed so I took it a distance to another Workhorse service center and they fixed it for me. Of course that was Chassis related and not transmission, so I can only hope that they do a better job for transmissions.
We'll see what happens.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #5

By the way, I should mention that my rig does not seem to be in "limp mode" or at least the RPM is good and I have no problem with power but I will take it in and have them read the codes at least.
Thanks again, Ray.
joco/carol
Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #6

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray,IN:
Welcome to irv2.com! That sound can mean several things. Don't wait until anything worsens, get your RV to a Allison authorized repair center ASAP![QUOTE]

I did what you suggested and found out that all is well. I left the rig at the service center and a few hours later they called and said it was the fan clutch. Well, I know better than that..the fan clutch ROARS and does not Hummmmmmmmm. So I went to them and together we took a test drive. As it turns out, the service guy was stumped but after a longer conversation about it, he turned off the AC and we could never duplicate the noise. So his conclusion is that it is an AC noise..it is either the fan or possibly the compressor but his attitude was not to worry brcause it is definitely NOT the transmission.
Soooooo I guess my only concern now is to hope the AC does not go out. The service guy seemed to think that this could on for many months without a problem.....but who knows since I hear it more often. I guess the roof air will be sufficient.
Thanks for suggestion and concern.
Carol