Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #1

hard downshifting with MD3040

my 1994 32" pusher with a allison 6 speed (MD3060) seems to be downshifting very hard (almost violently),any idea`s?
kirby
prodrag1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #2

Kirby,

How long has it been since the last fluid/filter change? Have you checked the fluid level?
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #3

fluid was changed but not filters
prodrag1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #4

Hard downshifts

Hi,

I had the same problem with mine in January. This has happened twice. Each time, it was a throttle position sensor cable that had broken. It missed being under warranty by a couple of days. Unfortunately, the computer needs to be reprogrammed as well. The good news is that the transmission is fairly robust, and nothing else was damaged. I did change the filters just to be safe, and topped off with Transynd.

If you can read the fault codes on the gearshift panel, and give those to the technician, he can confirm the problem. The diagnostic procedure is in the transmission owners manual.

I was coming back from south Florida and called the Florida Allison/Detroit Diesel Shop, in Panama City. They made arrangements for me to park on their lot, gated, secure, and 50 amp service. Great seafood across the street too. I highly recommend them to any RV owner. Plan on about 1/2 a day to include the computer and test drive.
Maverick 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

The PO of my motorhome had this same problem and paid for a couple of solenoids replaced in the trans and then a overhaul of the trans at the Allison dealer and after that was done- it still had the same problem.
It turned out to be a bad battery ground on the frame- on the third trip to Allison- they finally replaced the ground terminal on the frame and all was good. It cost the PO $6000 for bad troubleshooting.
So look at your battery grounds and check the voltage going to the shifter unit because if they are not right- it may cost you some serious $.
HTH
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Smile Harsh Downshifts

Typically harsh down shifting in the MD3060 is caused by the Throttle Position cable or the control unit itself. Over time the cable stretches and needs to be re-adjusted by an Allison Tech. Since 2000 I have replaced 2 of these for what ever reason. Mine codes out (21) which is the TPS.
In addition the origional bell crank or rod end was brass- which wears rather fast- I machined a new one made of 304 S/Steel and threaded that on in place of the brass pc.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #7

I changed the oil and filters in my 3000MH. Everything looked good. I now have a harsh downshift only into 4th gear. It used to do it on occasion but not nearly as violently as it does now.
I am not getting any codes (I had a rep from Allison on the line checking with me). After reading the posts here (I also posted in MH Forum before I realized this specilized forum existed) I have recommendations to take it in, keep driving it as it will self adjust in a hundred miles or so, or the throttle cable metioned here could be the problem.
My problem may be somewhat different than that mentioned elsewhere as it is only a downshift into 4th gear.
I am still waiting for Stewart and Stevens to call back as they are THE place to take this transmission in Houston I am told.
Any comments are appreciated.
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote