RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How cool is too cool?

Transmission is the five speed 2500 in a 2006 Winny Journey 32T.

I am aware of the danger of running any tranny too hot, but mine, if anything seems mighty cool! It routinely runs from 120* F to 150* F, reaching 180* F, tops, after a hard mountain climb. Is this a problem or should I be happy? This is the data from the Silverleaf VMSpc. Thanks for any insight.

JT

RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #2

Don't worry. Be Happy.

Allison transmissions need to be about 140-150F to be 'warm' to check fluid levels, etc.

Synthetic oil does run cooler than Dino.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not know what the actual temps were, but on my last trip from Houston to OK City, outside temps were about 35-40 and the tranny temp never came off the botton of the gauge.

On the return trip with slightly warner air temps the tranny came up to the first indicator line on the gauge.

I have a 300 Cummins freightliner.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV'nOldTimer View Post
Transmission is the five speed 2500 in a 2006 Winny Journey 32T.

I am aware of the danger of running any tranny too hot, but mine, if anything seems mighty cool! It routinely runs from 120* F to 150* F, reaching 180* F, tops, after a hard mountain climb. Is this a problem or should I be happy? This is the data from the Silverleaf VMSpc. Thanks for any insight.

JT
jt,
imo your temperatures are normal.
I use a scan gauge 2 to monitor my 5 speed ally temperature. my normal fluid temperature is between 137 and about 170 degrees. i use amsoil synthetic tes295 fluid.
descending the east side of mt charleston, nv. mostly in 1st gear, my ally temp climbed to over 200 degrees. this is a steep descent from 7500 ft. to less than 1000 ft. altitude in about 15 miles. i stopped once about 2/3 of the way down to let the engine idle for about 10 minutes to cool the tranny. we were towing a nissan altima on a dolly. next time we go down that mountain, my dw will drive the toad.
mt charleston has several beautiful national forest campgrounds. one has 50 amp electric and water for $15.50 a day, 2 weeks maximum stay. this cg is near the mt charleston resort which has very good food and free wifi internet access.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '18 MB CLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks guys.

I have assumed that the cool readings were OK but wondered what others thought. I have noticed that on a cold start that the Allison doesn't shift into top gear until the temp rises a bit but I've not gotten a reading on just where this occurs. I've only had the VMSpc for a short time so there has been no opportunity to pick up on some details. The Allison 2500 requires an approprate synthetic fluid but change interval is 100K miles.

Good travels.

JT
Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #6

JT,

Check the change interval. There is also a month limit which is the one that usually is the reason for changing the fluid & filter in motorhomes.

Don't let it go too long.

Safe travels,
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #7

I would agree with Steve's comment re a time limit causing a fluid change before the mileage. On my 3000, the mileage is 75,000 miles but a 3 year interval when running synthetic fluid. The time limit will get me before the mileage.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I would agree with Steve's comment re a time limit causing a fluid change before the mileage. On my 3000, the mileage is 75,000 miles but a 3 year interval when running synthetic fluid. The time limit will get me before the mileage.

Yep, agreed that many/most lub changes on MHs are time driven rather than mileage. Don't have the manual here now but I seem to remember the my Allison 2500MH with Transyn has a five year cycle. The one that seems uncharacteristically often is Freightliner's yearly change of differential oil. No other vehicle that I've owned specifies that frequent a change for a gear box.

JT
Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV'nOldTimer View Post
The one that seems uncharacteristically often is Freightliner's yearly change of differential oil. No other vehicle that I've owned specifies that frequent a change for a gear box.
JT, We broached that subject last week during the Freighliner Chat session and that question was asked and answered. Company rep, "FCCC Service" said that the differential fluid should be changed every 24,000 miles or 2 years WCF using 80-90W conventional mineral based gear oil.

The NEXT FCCC Chat will be held on Tuesday February 1st, 2011 at 9:00pm EST.

For more information call: 800 FTL HELP.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
JT, We broached that subject last week during the Freighliner Chat session and that question was asked and answered. Company rep, "FCCC Service" said that the differential fluid should be changed every 24,000 miles or 2 years WCF using 80-90W conventional mineral based gear oil.

The NEXT FCCC Chat will be held on Tuesday February 1st, 2011 at 9:00pm EST.

For more information call: 800 FTL HELP.

Thanks DriVer,

That sounds much more reasonable and uses half to oil

JT