Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have an 04 Winnebago Adventurer on a 03 Workhorse chassis and would like to change the tranny fluid myself. I changed the spin on filter at 5000 miles with no problem.

What is involved and how do I change the tranny fluid and what filters do I need? The coach has 28k on it now and have not had any transmission problems. I'm sure it has Dextron III in it which I will use when I replace the fluid. Do I change exterior spin on filter at the same time?

Thanks.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have an 04 Winnebago Adventurer on a 03 Workhorse chassis and would like to change the tranny fluid myself. I changed the spin on filter at 5000 miles with no problem.

What is involved and how do I change the tranny fluid and what filters do I need? The coach has 28k on it now and have not had any transmission problems. I'm sure it has Dextron III in it which I will use when I replace the fluid. Do I change exterior spin on filter at the same time?

Thanks.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #3

You will need the same filter you replaced at 5k and 12 qts of Dexron III fluid. What I have done is purchased a vacuum jug that will hold about 8 qts. I do not have a drain pan that will hold 12 qts so I start the drain by draining the first 8 qts out the dipstick tube into the vacuum jug. Then I drain the rest by removing the drain plug in the pan and let it drain completely. When you remove the filter do not forget the reclaim and reuse the magnet!!

I try to measure the fluid removed but do not get too worked up over it, just put back in 10 qts and see where you are on the stick, fill as needed...

I have found that I make much less mess by using the vacuum jug for the major part of the drain, YMMV
Old 11-23-2008, 04:47 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom--

Yes, change the filter that you get from an Allison dealer. They are reasonably priced. They are red in color. If you can't find one near you in the mountains go to Omeys site here. He sells them for about $18.

This is an excellent time to change to Transyn (synthetic fluid), or an approved TES-295 alternate-- Go here. Your transmission will run a good 10 degrees cooler and the fluid change interval will change to 100,000 miles-- after the second change. Allison recommends you do this. Since the present fluid is in the torque converter, the lines to the radiator cooler, and the cooler itself, you need to run it awhile before you perform the second change.

At the Myrtle Beach rally the Allison folks highly recommended you do this. The present fluid you have Dextron III, and Transyn are completely interchangable.

Some folks claim an increase in gas mileage also-- You'll need about 11 qts of New fluid and a drain pan that will hold that amount during your service cycle. When you replace the fluid you will need a transmission fluid funnel and a lot of patience as it is a very slow refill process.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TOM...
i believe that it was oemy (it could have been someone else) who recommended to me to let my moho sit for a long time before draining the allison.
i let it set for 3 weeks and drained 13.5 quarts from my 5 sp ally. i replaced the filter with one from oemy and added almost 14 qts.
my ally holds 14.1 qts (rebuild), so i got about a 95% fluid change.
i used amsoil tes295 torque drive fluid.
you will need a really long funnel. i used 2 feet of heater hose and a transmission funnel.
don't forget the magnet on top of the tranny filter...
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The present fluid you have Dextron III, and Transyn are completely interchangable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
TOM-NC: the advice given above is correct, however I want to WARN you that DEXRON VI, which is packaged as a direct replacement for Dexron III, is NOT TO BE USED IN YOUR ALLISON.

Unless you can find some "old stock" true Dexron III, which is unlikely, you will need to use one of the fluids recommended in the link provided by Max H upthread. The newer formulation, Dexron VI, is acceptable in GM trannys which originally used Dex III, but this IS NOT TRUE FOR ALLISON TRANNYS. Please make sure you don't put DEXron VI in your 03 Allison. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:58 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Check out my Allison filter kit... Here
Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
What Thanks,are you refering to when you say "after the second change"?
Thanks,
Duane
des55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by des55 View Post
What Thanks,are you refering to when you say "after the second change"?
Thanks,
Duane
des55: WELCOME to iRV2.com ! Glad you joined and posted your question.

You've brought back to life a thread from 2008, but I'll answer for the OP. When changing from Dexron to TranSynd you need to drain pan, refill with tranSynd, drive coach for 30 miles or so to heat up and mix the fluids, and then drain and refill with TranSynd AGAIN. This "double drain" proceedure is what Allison recommends to get "most" of the old stuff out of the cooler and converter, which cannot be drained. Personally, I would change the spin on filter after the "second drain". ED
Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #10

Instead of doing a second oil change I thought about disconnecting the return line to the transmission cooler. Does anybody know which line is the return line and approx how much oil does the torque converter hold?
steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two comments: I changed my fluid last summer using Transynd. By letting the MH sit for about 5 weeks, and by using the jacks to tilt it slighly, I got enough out that it took 15 qts to refill. Secondly, if I do it again, I will transfer the ATF to cleaned differential oil bottles, to then put into the filler tube. Too bad the suppliers are not putting the ATF in this type of container to begin with. (they have a long tapered nozzle, that is ideal to inject into the filler tube.) I have a number of them from doing the differentials in my pickup, and will be using them for engine oil changes also.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
TOM...
i believe that it was oemy (it could have been someone else) who recommended to me to let my moho sit for a long time before draining the allison.
i let it set for 3 weeks and drained 13.5 quarts from my 5 sp ally. i replaced the filter with one from oemy and added almost 14 qts.
my ally holds 14.1 qts (rebuild), so i got about a 95% fluid change.
i used amsoil tes295 torque drive fluid.
you will need a really long funnel. i used 2 feet of heater hose and a transmission funnel.
don't forget the magnet on top of the tranny filter...
Old thread but Amsoil does not have an approved TES 295 fluid.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve R View Post
Instead of doing a second oil change I thought about disconnecting the return line to the transmission cooler. Does anybody know which line is the return line and approx how much oil does the torque converter hold?
IMO, if you can't figure out which is which, do you really want to risk burning up a $6,000.00 tranny by running it with a hose dis-connected just to save a few bucks?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #14

No I dont want to burn up my trans but if you have a container and mark out a 1 quart line and a 2 quart line and have somebody start the rig and when you empty out 1 to 2 quarts shut the engine off top off the trans and repeat the process you are not going to burn up the trans.
steve R is offline   Reply With Quote