Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Question How to get a tranny fluid sample

I want to get my transmission fluid analyzed but don't see any easy way to get a sample to send in. Has anybody done this? I have the Allison 3000MH.

When I crawled underneath to look for a drain, I found a forest of bolts on the bottom and edge of the tranny and several of them appeared to be possible plugs. I had no clue which one to remove to get a decent sample.

Allison has a tech spec of fluid sampling, but it talks about installing a special valve to get the sample. I don't think I want/need to do that. Probably only take a couple samples for as long as I own the coach.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, I would like to know also. I know if you happen to undo the wrong bolt you might have big problems. None of mine looked like a place to drain. Last time I got it sampled I took it in to an Allison dealer and they sucked it out of the lower dipstick tube. I have one of those vacuum pumps but it's probably contaminated with other oils. If you change filters you could get it then, but that's next years project
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #3

Good question. I had the same problem and fixed it with a power pump brake tool. It's a plastic cup with a long hose that you attach to your brake line to power bleed brakes. It costs around $10 at the auto stores. You just stick the hose into your trans. tube and squeeze the cup handle to get up to a pint of fluid. Good luck!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Lightbulb

You could go old school with a basic siphon kit.

Basic $5.04 Siphon Kit
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #5

Depending on the quantity of fluid you need for your sampling, you can simply insert a long piece of clear plastic tubing into the trans fluid fill tube. Place your finger over the end of the tubing before extracting it from the fill tube and you'll have trans fluid to deposit in a container once you remove your finger. Same a placing a straw in a soda glass
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I only need about 6 oz., but the dipstick tube is about 5 feet long.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tom Johnson, the retired Allison Fluids engineer, pointed me to this set of instructions for taking samples for analysis. It shows engine oil rather than tranny, but the procedure is the same. It uses the dipstick tube and a vacuum pump with a long tube.

JG Lubricant Services is Tom's fluid analysis company.

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/d...0Procedure.pdf
Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If I were to do it I would get a clear plastic tub that would go down the dipstick into the sump. Then I would put a little suction on the end of the plastic tube, very slowly, until I saw the fluid coming up the clear plastic. I would stop the suction, place my finger over the end of the tube, extract it, and let it drain into a container for shipping.

Now, if you can find someone that can jump start a car by sucking on the exhaust pipe, you're in good hands.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Tom Johnson, the retired Allison Fluids engineer, pointed me to this set of instructions for taking samples for analysis. It shows engine oil rather than tranny, but the procedure is the same. It uses the dipstick tube and a vacuum pump with a long tube.

JG Lubricant Services is Tom's fluid analysis company.

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/d...0Procedure.pdf

Read my post for a $10 solution....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I saw it, Billieg. Will check it out the next time I hit an auto parts store. The ones I saw online started at $50 and up.

I've got a fluid transfer hand pump, so i may be able to add 4-5 ft of suitable tubing to go down my filler tube and do it that way. If not, the kit from JG isn't that expensive ($26 less a iRv2 5% discount).
Old 09-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I saw it, Billieg. Will check it out the next time I hit an auto parts store. The ones I saw online started at $50 and up.

I've got a fluid transfer hand pump, so i may be able to add 4-5 ft of suitable tubing to go down my filler tube and do it that way. If not, the kit from JG isn't that expensive ($26 less a iRv2 5% discount).
I bought the one from JG. Alot better built than I had imagined, not plastic as expected. One note, JG's pump is a vacuum pump and the fluid never touches the pump. Works sort of like a vacuum brake bleeder. A fluid transfer pump may have dirt or contaminates that would effect the analysis. They recommend you do not reuse the tubing, again worry about contamination from previous use. You get 8 feet of new tubing with the test kit.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would think that any major oil company, Cat, Cummins, or Freighhtliner dealer would have an oil analysis kit. The hose kits are usually 50' long, & they come with a suction gun & bottle to collect the oil in.

Here is a link with a company that I used to do business with, & they know their stuff! There is a lot of good info on their site.

Hope this helps!

http://www.noria.com/buyersguide/vendor5.asp
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
KIX

To avoid manually sucking on a hose use a turkey baster......slide a length of hose over the tip of the baster and slide the tube down the dip stick tube.
The drain on the 3000 series is not a bolt but rather a 3'8" square drive plug. Use a short extension on a 3'9" ratchet.........you'll need a large catch pan to catch the 4 gallons of fluid.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Talking

Quote:
not a bolt but rather a 3'8" square drive plug
WOW! That's one big square nut!!!

Tags
fluid