RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #1

Inoperative Tranny Temp Gauge

When I purchased my DS three years ago, I knew the Allison oil temp gauge was inoperative. The first thing I did was to take it to the Cummins/Allison shop in Waco. Where they took me to the cleaners to the tune of $1800 for a tranny oil change, engine oil change, filters, and oil analysys of tranny, engine, and Onan. They said it would cost thousands more to fix the oil temp gauge because they thought that the wire was broken somewhere between the sensor and the dash board. Methinks they didn't look very hard. So does anyone have any ideas on what to do to fix this? Maybe a place to go in the Waco or even Dallas area? I already know that Rush Truck Center overcharges...

tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #2

Pretty simple. Take the wires off the sending unit and apply 12VDC. Go inside and look. Did the gage move? Remove the 12VDC look again. Did the gage change? If it moves and /or changes then the wire and gage are good. The sending unit is bad. Sending units are nothing more than a reostat that varies the voltage from zero to 12 volts. The gage reacts to the voltage change.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #3

Sound troubleshooting advice. I also believe ifs really just a wire a few thousand to replace it is ridiculous. Not a fun job but not brain surgery either
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:25 PM   #4

Sounds like you could run a new wire from the sensor to the gauge in about 1/2 hour. Where the break is doesn't matter if you just bypass it.

Our previous coach had spare wires at the dash, though I don't know exactly where the other ends were - never needed them.

Matt B
Old 06-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #5

Would like info on a reasonable mechanic in Central Texas (Waco-Temple-Killeen) that may be able to help with this project?
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Would like info on a reasonable mechanic in Central Texas (Waco-Temple-Killeen) that may be able to help with this project?
Have you tried looked HERE: http://rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?state=TX

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote