Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #1

Knocking sound

Using the screwdriver to ear test to try and determine where a new knocking sound is coming from, I discovered that the knock is possibly coming from inside the transmission case. The noise is audible at idle and gets louder when shifted into gear, forward or reverse. I have checked the air compressor and the sound coming from it is the same for any transmission selection, so I have eliminated it and could find no soot around exhaust manifold, so I don't think I have a cracked manifold. The sound reminds me of a loose lifter or rod noise in a gasoline engine. My coach has the Cummins 400 ISL with the 3000MH Allison. The tranny was converted to Transynd when the coach had 4000 miles on it. I recently performed the 4 year transmission service and replaced with new Transynd and the level shows to be ok according to the gear selector checking method. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

Bill Terry
2004 MADP
bterry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might check the bolts that bolt the torque converter to the flywheel. If they are loose, you can get an intermittent knocking sound that can be hard to track down.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #3

Suggestion:
Considering some of the early ISL engines had a wrist pin/recall issue, I suggest you make sure the sound is coming from the transmission and not the engine (your comment about checking the manifold leads me to believe you may not be absolutely certain).
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #4

According to Cummins, the wrist pin failure (2006 era engine builds, so ~06-07 coaches) evidence themselves in the first 10,000 miles or never at all. At least that's what they say...
Old 06-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #5

Good thought, Mike.

I didn't know what years were affected. But, the statement "The sound reminds me of a loose lifter or rod noise in a gasoline engine" hints at wrist-pin slap.

While a wrist-pin issue is certainly not a simple fix, I'd still be aware of it.

I've had a few of those type problems; one (1) was in 1964 when a spun rod bearing put me on the side of the NY Thruway between Syracuse and Albany at 0200. The biggest problem with that was I had to be back in New London because my Boat was departing for the Med at 0800 that morning (joy of joys).
Fortunately, it was a Corvair and I was able to drain the oil into a gas can, drop the pan and rod cap and use the tongue of my shoe to make a temprorary bearing. It actually worked pretty well and I got there in time (just).

Another one was in 1966 when I found myself just west of the Soo in Ontario on a very early Sunday morning with a failed alternator. The only place open was a gas station attended by a fella that spoke only French. But, using the carbon post from an old distributor cap I kept, a file and an old Bernz-o-matic torch, I "Got 'er done" and made it to home (that fix lasted almost a year).

Been driving for 50 years and the "War-stories" are myriad (adapt, overcome and improvise).

While I wouldn't attempt a major fix for a Cummins, I'd sure like to know what it turned out to be. But the OP hasn't been back.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote