Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #1

2000 40ft Dip with 65K miles.Within the past year I have had an issue when shifting from 3rd into 4th the tranny slips before engagement. In others words, before going into 4th the engine RPM will increase and then it bangs into 4th. This is an intermittent promblem that seems to happen at any given time. Once it starts, it will continue until I shut it down. That doessn't mean that it corrects itself upon immediate restart. The fluid level is good and it is not running hot and happen on flat land or hills. The speed at which it slips is around 25-28 MPH and the way I have been dealing with it is to let off the throttle until I feel the shift engage before getting back into it, of course by that time I have lost momentum. I have already had it in the shop where they replaced some componenets and of couse it worked fine until it was out of warrenty. The repair was $2,500 and I hate to have to put that much back into it again. Unless someone offers a possible solution, I may have to come to grips and just deal with it.
2000DIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
You didn't say where you are or where the transmission shop is located, but I'd get directly in contact with Allison before you spend more money on it. 65K miles is not that much.

Did the shop replace the fluid, flush it, and replace the filters? The most recent information that I received from Allison said that 75K miles was a filter change point. It sounds like a stuck valve or a partially plugged internal line.

Good Luck.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 01-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #3

2000DIP,

Would you look in your Spartan Motors Owner's Manual and email me pages 1-11 and 1-12. I'm the second owner of a 2000 Dutch Star, 38' and they are missing from my manual. I'm looking for something that will tell me what the Display Symbols represent on the Driver's instrument panel.

Rnicfingrp
Rnicfingrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #4

Sorry, I don't have a Spartan manual. I recommend that you try the Newmar forum.
2000DIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #5

My MD3060 behind my 5.9 Cummins does the same thing. It seems to release third gear and goes into neutral for a second or two before it is ready to shift into fourth speed. It is almost like the third speed clutch is coming off too soon or the application of the fourth speed clutch is being delayed, if that is even possible. The situation is most prevelent immediately after leaving a campground after sitting a couple of days but like yours, it sometimes does it at other random times as well. The condition is called "race away" in the industry because the engine races away.

In addition to the 3-4 upshift race away, I have a very rough and severe 5-4 downshift. The 5-4 downshift is very harsh and really bangs hard when it drops into fourth speed. This too does not happen all the time but it certainly happens more than half of the time. As noted above, it seems when downshifting, the fifth speed clutch is coming off too soon or the application of the fourth speed clutch is being delayed.

There are no transmission diagnostic trouble codes that I am aware of. Fluid level is correct according to the dipstick. I changed the fluid and replaced the filters and it did not have any effect whatsover. It still bangs hard when downshifting shifting from 5th to 4th speed. I used NAPA DEX III transmission fluid. It doesn't seem to make any difference if the trans is in economy or regular mode except the shifts occur at lower vehicle speeds and consequently lower engine rpm. It still bangs during a 5-4 downshift.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread but I am curious if you are experiencing similar fifth to fourth downshift harshness.

1999 Coachman Sports Coach 38
Roadwander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #6

delayed shift

my delayed shift is 2nd down to first gear. it had banged so hard i have had to replace the seals in the trans and differential drive shaft. calls to allison service reps got me the information that i should not push the throttle down so far.???
changing the filters and going to transynd oil has not improved anything.
tom wilson 1996 kountrystar.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #7

Shift solenoids have to get signal from somewhere. Sounds to me like they are not getting proper signal, like maybe a voltage leak. I'd start w/all 6 electrical connectors on the tranny, checking for cleanliness; then wire looms all intact no damage, rubbing, pinching, etc. from tranny to ECM, etc; then for all pins in connectors even & firm & all sockets clean w/no damage. If you can't trace it to electrical signal problem on the exterior, I'd suspect bad shift solenoid but I think that's supposed to throw a code; you can check w/Allison on that.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #8

Previous owner of my MH had such problems to the tune of $3000. What they finally found out that the grounds from the batteries to the frame were corroded and they finally replaced them with new bolts into the frame. might be worth looking at. low voltage to the trans computer.
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote