Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #1

Mysterious Leak Allison 1000

I had a very mysterious experience with my Allison 1000 transmission on a 2004 Workhorse 22 chassis with about 66,000 miles on the odometer. In September I changed the filter and fluid. Three weeks later I drove about 35 miles so checked the fluid level hot and it was in the hot full range. Ten days ago I drove the motor home forward about 50 feet to be closer to the house to load it for our trip south. It sat overnight and I moved it back to the parking spot the next afternoon. The following morning I noticed a puddle of fluid on the driveway where it sat overnight and a thin trail leading back to the parking spot. I checked the dip stick and it was dry. I looked under the transmission but could not find a leak or drip, and no puddle where it had sat for almost two months. A half litre of fluid brought it up to the cold full level so I went for a drive. When I checked the fluid hot, it was up to the full hot range. I left a piece of cardboard under the transmission over night and there were no drips. Obviously I was alarmed, but as there were no more leaks, we headed south two days later. For the first three days I stopped every two hours to check the fluid level but it remained in the full hot range. One week and 1800 miles later it is still in the full hot range.
Does anyone have an explanation or a similar experience?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No...but a wild guess is that since it sat for two months...fluid went somewhere, internally and later came up after driving.

What reading do you see when you check cold, cold....cold ? I never check the fluid hot as there is a series of things to do...too much trouble.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is your procedure when you change transmission fluid and Filter?

When I do mine I drain into a bucket that is marked so I know exactly how much fluid came out and then I refill with exactly that amount. Then I drive it about 20 miles and check it while it is hot. It is usually right on the money. I then drain and refill again for a complete change.

I recently changed from Dexron iii to Transynd as I'm getting tired of doing the chore. Drained and filled with Transynd, went to Utah from California and back, then drained and replaced filter and put Transynd in again.

It's important to check your level while the transmission is hot, engine running. Otherwise you are not getting a correct reading.

I have found if I leave the drain plug out for 24 hours I will drain about a half quart more transmission fluid. I think it is from the torque converter but I don't know for sure.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
I have lost fluid a couple of times when parked for extended periods. What appears to have happened is the fluid from the lines, cooler etc. drained back in to the pan causing the fluid level to rise to a point where it began to leak out around the rubber seal for the dip stick tube where it mates to the housing. Only happened twice and took me a while to figure it out. The solution was to reposition the dip stick tube and start the engine every couple of weeks.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #5

Thanks to all for comments and suggestions, but it is still a mystery.
The main points are:
Fluid was changed and found at full hot range after driving 35 miles.
It sat for two months and did not leak where parked.
I drove it 50 feet and parked for 24 hours, and found fluid after moving it.

Topped up the fluid.
Two weeks and 1800 miles later it was still in the full hot range.

It has been sitting for 4 days and there is not a drop of fluid under it.

I'm still stumped, but very relieved that it now seems normal again, and did not interfere with my travels.

Additional information.
I have owned the motor home for 10 years and have done my own maintenance. Fluid was changed to Transynd in 2006 with second change with Transynd in 2007. Since that time I have changed the filter every two years and fluid every four years per Allison recommended fluid and filter change intervals.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #6

1. temperature....always check when hot. (trans hot not necessary engine)
2. check fluid when RV is level, if you parked uphill while hot the fluid could leak out the rear main seal once and never again if level. Your 12 year old motorhome likely needs a new rear main drive shaft seal.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
1. temperature....always check when hot. (trans hot not necessary engine)
2. check fluid when RV is level, if you parked uphill while hot the fluid could leak out the rear main seal once and never again if level. Your 12 year old motorhome likely needs a new rear main drive shaft seal.
1 - Yes
2 - RV was stored level and was on level driveway when it leaked. Also no loss of fluid in 1800 miles including crossing the Appalachians. What would indicate that I need a new rear main seal?
Old 12-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinFever View Post
1 - Yes
2 - RV was stored level and was not on a level driveway when it leaked. Also no loss of fluid in 1800 miles including crossing the Appalachians. What would indicate that I need a new rear main seal?
Fluid on your driveway See post #1
Old 12-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Fluid on your driveway See post #1
Not arguing, but looking for logical info. I found no drips under the engine or transmission after moving back to the parking spot, and none in my travels since. What would be the exit point? Would you not expect to see some fluid drips or wetness under the transmission?
Old 12-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

Fluid can leak from the lower portion of the rear main seal without much oil on the case.
Look in the area where the drive shaft yoke enters the transmission. Try raising just the front of the MH up as much as you can and look for leaks.
Overfilling will allow fluid to escape via the vent on the top of the transmission (not your case)
Old 01-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
Community Moderator

don't know if op has figured out the cause. i am with IdahoSRT10 on the main seal (rear output seal). it's not unheard. don't know how much to replace it though.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
don't know if op has figured out the cause. i am with IdahoSRT10 on the main seal (rear output seal). it's not unheard. don't know how much to replace it though.
I'm parked until the end of February so no new info. However I still don't understand how it would leak through the main seal while sitting flat on my driveway overnight yet lose no more fluid during 1800 miles of driving and sitting parked since Dec 1.

Tags
allison, leak