Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
mwj

No downshift at idle

Have a 2001 2000 thats stays in high range in all forward gears. Reverse is okay. Any suggestions for troubleshooting
mwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

Do you mean it starts off in 6th gear and you never feel it shift or the Allison shift pad gear indicator always displays 6th gear?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

Great question, Mike. mwj...if you see "6" in the gear indicator, that tells you that 6th gear is the highest to which the transmission will go. If it displays "4", for example, the same is true...it will only upshift as high as 4th gear. You control that by the manual downshift/upshift controls. Of course, this assumes that you are not having some sort of trans/shifting issue. Please let us know if that is the case...thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
mwj

No shift pad indicators. Lever only. No shifting, starts in sixth.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now I understand. You have a gas chassis. Can you manually downshift it. Is your overdrive on or off? Suggest turning it off and see what happens. I wouldn't drive it to far in this condition and would contact the nearest Allision shop that is available in your location. They at least could give you some qualified answers to what might be going on.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
mwj

International Truck Chassis. Diesel. Econ button only. Manually shifting does not change any results. High only in all forward positions. Reverse works normally.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #7

Mwj, on that shift lever pad is a red led mode light. If you turn on power via the ignition switch is the red LED Mode light on? DO NOT PUSH THE ECON MODE BUTTON.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
mwj

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and the troubleshooting manual. May have to revisit at later time. We tried it again this morning and the transmission is working fine.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #9

That is confusing. My recommendationis to get that transmission fluid up above the specified 140*F put it on a level surface and do an electronic fluid level check as per the attachment below (think around page 60). You need to let it sit at idle for 3-4 minutes before you do that. If that problem occurs again then you need to check and see if the ECONO MODE red LED is on which indicates a trouble code and that can be read as per the attached instructions. The other thing would be to review when the filters were last changed and if that is Dexron fluid then when was that changed last. You didn't specify the transmission model and I am assuming that it is a 3000 and have attached the instruction manual. If it is a 2000 then let me know and I will post that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison MH Operators Manual.pdf (2.32 MB, 42 views)
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
mwj

The transmission is a 2000

Thanks
MWJ
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #11

OK go here and download the manual http://www.allisontransmissionpublic...d.ashx?did=231, then check page 55 for how to tell if there is a trouble code and page 76 to check HOT fluid
Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I'm glad it's back to normal. Good Luck down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
mwj

Thank all for the help.