Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #1

Occurring issue. "Do not Shift" . Monitor reads 5

My 1997 Monaco 40ft motorcoach. 140K miles. Transynd fluid, shifts fine. Allison MD 3060. Trans tag reads 6510109330 29524978
97C14
MD3060

It all started roughly around 11 to 12 months ago, as I was driving north on 95 from Daytona to NY, and right around 1 hour prior to Savanna it dropped from 6th to 5th and the warning light came on the dash with the alarm sound and illuminated "Do not Shift". my monitors left window showed no reading when this happened and the right window showed "5". The trans temp started to climb from 165ish to 195ish. I am still plagued to this date with the ongoing issue. You ask "why haven't I fixed this, after all this time"? Well, to be honest, and in the first grouping of months thereafter it started, it reared it's ugly head not that often, but rest assure I would definitely experience it once over an 8 to 10 hour ride. Now this problem is becoming more frequent, as it can happen 4 to 5 times in the first 45 minutes of driving, and then only occur 1 or two times over the next 4 to 6 hours. It is progressively getting worse each time I take it out. The last time I took it out, as I usually can reset it by shutting the key off, waiting a minute or two, then turning the key back on, although on this last trip after the 3rd reset I had to kill the main power switches at the back because it wasn't resetting with the key "off then on" attempt. Back when it first started to occur, it only did this issue when cruising in 6th. Now it does it in 4th, 5th or 6th gear. Problem progressively getting worse.
Codes are: D1 57-44, D2 57-88, D3 57-66, D4 no code, D5 no code.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but please only chime in, if you had a very similar issue, and/or you are very proficient in trouble shooting Allison issues. Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
My 1997 Monaco 40ft motorcoach. 140K miles. Transynd fluid, shifts fine. Allison MD 3060. Trans tag reads 6510109330 29524978
97C14
MD3060

It all started roughly around 11 to 12 months ago, as I was driving north on 95 from Daytona to NY, and right around 1 hour prior to Savanna it dropped from 6th to 5th and the warning light came on the dash with the alarm sound and illuminated "Do not Shift". my monitors left window showed no reading when this happened and the right window showed "5". The trans temp started to climb from 165ish to 195ish. I am still plagued to this date with the ongoing issue. You ask "why haven't I fixed this, after all this time"? Well, to be honest, and in the first grouping of months thereafter it started, it reared it's ugly head not that often, but rest assure I would definitely experience it once over an 8 to 10 hour ride. Now this problem is becoming more frequent, as it can happen 4 to 5 times in the first 45 minutes of driving, and then only occur 1 or two times over the next 4 to 6 hours. It is progressively getting worse each time I take it out. The last time I took it out, as I usually can reset it by shutting the key off, waiting a minute or two, then turning the key back on, although on this last trip after the 3rd reset I had to kill the main power switches at the back because it wasn't resetting with the key "off then on" attempt. Back when it first started to occur, it only did this issue when cruising in 6th. Now it does it in 4th, 5th or 6th gear. Problem progressively getting worse.
Codes are: D1 57-44, D2 57-88, D3 57-66, D4 no code, D5 no code.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but please only chime in, if you had a very similar issue, and/or you are very proficient in trouble shooting Allison issues. Thank you.

Not an expert by any means but this sounds suspiciously like an ABS sensor error which can cause some transmissions to go out of lock-up. Had any ABS warnings?
Old 08-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Not an expert by any means but this sounds suspiciously like an ABS sensor error which can cause some transmissions to go out of lock-up.
Have you experienced an "ABS issue" whereas it caused this issue in your own coach or in a coach you repaired, whereas when you fixed the ABS problem, the trans issue went away?
Old 08-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Have you experienced an "ABS issue" whereas it caused this issue in your own coach or in a coach you repaired, whereas when you fixed the ABS problem, the trans issue went away?

Nope ... read it on a truck forum. Don't have a link because I was looking for a Cummins starter problem at the time. I read a little and moved on.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #5

"please only chime in, if you had a very similar issue, and/or you are very proficient in trouble shooting Allison issues. Thank you."

I would love to "chit chat" with you, but maybe we can do that somewhere else, and not herein this topic.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Occurring issue. "Do not Shift" . Monitor reads 5

Quote:
"please only chime in, if you had a very similar issue, and/or you are very proficient in trouble shooting Allison issues. Thank you."

I would love to "chit chat" with you, but maybe we can do that somewhere else, and not herein this topic.

Wow! Great way to get FREE help...NOT! I’ll pass on the chit-chat!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #7

Don't shift

I would think that the replying Poster meant to offer only a helpful suggestion as it was an issue that appeared on another forum.

It might be helpful to contact a reputable Allison dealer in your area for a possible solution.

And No, I haven't experienced that problem as I only have a gasser !
MovingMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
I would think that the replying Poster meant to offer only a helpful suggestion as it was an issue that appeared on another forum.

It might be helpful to contact a reputable Allison dealer in your area for a possible solution.
If you don't mind, i'll rephrase that statement above.

"I would think that the replying poster would have read your opening post thoroughly, and would have refrained from posting because his qualifications and story does not fit what was asked.

So you, and others can understand. I am interested, no different then others with issues who ask for assistance, to get to the root cause of the issue to fix the problem, and I am asking for that help from individuals who are very proficient in Allison transmissions and trouble shooting, and/or have had a very similar experience. My asking allows myself and others to get an understanding of how to repair the issue with out going through pages of information that has absolutely nothing to do with it, from those who are not proficient in Allison Transmission issues, and from those who have not had an issue alike.

This is not to complicated to understand.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #9

Well...almost 10 days later. Did you get it figured out?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #10

Andy M

good morning,
Sorry for the delay, I took a week of vacation.
All your codes refer to C# pressure switch which is in the valve body module. The reason it is overheating is because when these codes come on and you fail to a gear (number on right), you drop lockup so the transmission is not locked with the engine, it is running on the converter.
I suggest an Allison Distributor or dealer check out pressures and function of your C# pressure switch. This is not a task for anyone that is not qualified because the module has to come down and for one, it is very heavy and awkward but if you do not do it correctly, you could damage the internal harness. You can find a local distributor or dealer at allisontransmission.com
Please et me know what they find.
This vintage also had a tendency to crack the C2 hub so I would make sure they check pressures especially when trans is warmed up.
Thank you and have a great day!
Allisonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:46 PM   #11

Click link below

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/tran...-a-407130.html

Tags
monitor