Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
oL Lo 4 even after adding 4 qts MH3000

I had a competent truck garage change my trans fluid and filters. Shop's RO shows 19 qts were charged out. Drove on a 700 mile trip and had 2 weird situations where it wouldn't upshift C1-C2 first thing in morning going up moderate grades from CG. No codes. Both times it made it to flat grade and then ran perfect. Back from trip and decided to check fluid level and while cold it never made it to the dipstick. Another post described how to use a "stall" method to gradually warm the transmission to get past the oL-70 low sump temp code. Once I got to 160 degrees, I used my keypad and this indicated it was 4 qts low. I added the 4 qts and after an additional 30 minutes of running, my keypad still says oL Lo 4. ? Is 4 qts low the maximum it can read? I don't want to overfill but engine was 160 degrees running for about an hour, transmission was still about 150 degrees. Dipstick was no real help mostly because residual fluid was still present on the fill tube. I'm planning to go back down this week to check the "at rest" cold dipstick level, and then I will get it warmed up and start the keypad process all over, but just curious what users find is the normal wait time for the shift sensor method to reflect any oil added. If it still says low 4 qts when warmed with no other codes, should I add or not?
Jim Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2022, 10:07 AM   #2

19 quarts IS the correct amount with filter and fluid change on your shallow sump Allison 3000 transmission.

Do you know for sure that 19 quarts WERE added by the shop?

Did the shift pad fluid level check give accurate results before the fluid change??
Old 11-14-2022, 03:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update: checked using the dipstick before I started and it reads into the top of Hot. Got engine and transmission up to 160 degrees and selector keypad still indicates Lo 4. Pulled dipstick during idle in neutral and nothing on stick. (Or ground) So I’m leery to keep adding and wondering why it seems to want 4 qts after just adding 4. Haven’t driven it yet.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:32 PM   #4

Might give Allison a call and discuss with them:

Allison help line 800 252 5283

Suggest you have your model and serial number (metal plate on driver's side of transmission) handy.

Again, did the oil level sensor work properly before the filter and fluid change?

And, how sure are you that they indeed DID will with 19 quarts?

Old 11-14-2022, 03:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is there any signs of a leak? Are you checking the transmission on level ground? After adding 4 qts key pad said you are 4 qts low, what are you seeing on the dipstick?

19 qts sure sounds like its in the right range. I think my transmission is about 18 qts.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
A competent truck shop doesn't necessarily mean the had the A team working on your rig, could have been a less experienced mechanic. It happens. My neighbor took his pickup truck in for an oil change at the local Chevy dealer, he drove it ~1 mile toward home when the engine light came on and when he checked the oil level it show up on the stick. The sent a tow truck and he traded the pickup in for a BMW Suv at a very good price

Call the shop and talk to the manager and explain what is going on, maybe they'll have some suggestions.

You may be able to check for fault codes, check you manual, I can't pull codes on my 2002 but at some point this can be done, don't know what year.

I know there is an oil level sensor that can go bad.

https://www.ecuforcetruck.com/produc...it-high-input/
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Might give Allison a call and discuss with them:

Allison help line 800 252 5283

Suggest you have your model and serial number (metal plate on driver's side of transmission) handy.

Again, did the oil level sensor work properly before the filter and fluid change?

And, how sure are you that they indeed DID will with 19 quarts?
Yes and I suppose my concern is whether 19 made it in. I also had my coolant surge tank replaced and donít know if the radiator and or perhaps transmission cooler was maybe drained.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Is there any signs of a leak? Are you checking the transmission on level ground? After adding 4 qts key pad said you are 4 qts low, what are you seeing on the dipstick?

19 qts sure sounds like its in the right range. I think my transmission is about 18 qts.
Yes, level, no leaks and cold dipstick now shows overfull but when checked at operating temp in neutral doesn’t show on stick at all again.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
A competent truck shop doesn't necessarily mean the had the A team working on your rig, could have been a less experienced mechanic. It happens. My neighbor took his pickup truck in for an oil change at the local Chevy dealer, he drove it ~1 mile toward home when the engine light came on and when he checked the oil level it show up on the stick. The sent a tow truck and he traded the pickup in for a BMW Suv at a very good price

Call the shop and talk to the manager and explain what is going on, maybe they'll have some suggestions.

You may be able to check for fault codes, check you manual, I can't pull codes on my 2002 but at some point this can be done, don't know what year.

I know there is an oil level sensor that can go bad.

https://www.ecuforcetruck.com/produc...it-high-input/
No codes.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I checked for codes but none exist. Does anyone know what the maximum low fluid level the keypad sensor will indicate? Could Lo 4 have possibly represented more than 4 but thats the most it reads? Again, warm in neutral at idle, the dipstick is dry. Nothing. Before I started and after sitting for a day, it read in the HOT range when cold. So at that point I felt it was overfilled.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
Yes and I suppose my concern is whether 19 made it in. I also had my coolant surge tank replaced and don’t know if the radiator and or perhaps transmission cooler was maybe drained.

Coolant surge tank is in no way related to the transmission or transmission fluid and replacing the surge tank would not involve draining any fluid from the rest of the cooling system.

Guess I should say "it SHOULD be unrelated" since we don't know who was holding the wrench!

Suggest starting tomorrow by calling Allison and discussing this with them.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:12 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Coolant surge tank is in no way related to the transmission or transmission fluid and replacing the surge tank would not involve draining any fluid from the rest of the cooling system.

Guess I should say "it SHOULD be unrelated" since we don't know who was holding the wrench!

Suggest starting tomorrow by calling Allison and discussing this with them.
I agree but had read that because the trans cooler is also part of the radiator I was wondering if the fluid to the trans cooler had somehow been disconnected and drained down. The 19 qts doesn’t include anything for the rest of the tranny cooling system. Had me wondering if that’s the reason it was low. Thanks for the toll free. I’ll give them a shout. I suspect they will say to take it to an Allison shop.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:51 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would take it for a 20mi drive and check it again before I would add any more.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
I agree but had read that because the trans cooler is also part of the radiator I was wondering if the fluid to the trans cooler had somehow been disconnected and drained down.

Could someone disconnect the transmission cooler line from the cooling package. I guess so, but it would only make more work for them.

And, if they did that, the connections at the cooling package would be clean-- certainly cleaner than if it had not been disturbed.

Said another way, you could very likely verify visually if those connections has been disturbed.