Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Jim Simon's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 18
oL Lo 4 even after adding 4 qts MH3000

I had a competent truck garage change my trans fluid and filters. Shop's RO shows 19 qts were charged out. Drove on a 700 mile trip and had 2 weird situations where it wouldn't upshift C1-C2 first thing in morning going up moderate grades from CG. No codes. Both times it made it to flat grade and then ran perfect. Back from trip and decided to check fluid level and while cold it never made it to the dipstick. Another post described how to use a "stall" method to gradually warm the transmission to get past the oL-70 low sump temp code. Once I got to 160 degrees, I used my keypad and this indicated it was 4 qts low. I added the 4 qts and after an additional 30 minutes of running, my keypad still says oL Lo 4. ? Is 4 qts low the maximum it can read? I don't want to overfill but engine was 160 degrees running for about an hour, transmission was still about 150 degrees. Dipstick was no real help mostly because residual fluid was still present on the fill tube. I'm planning to go back down this week to check the "at rest" cold dipstick level, and then I will get it warmed up and start the keypad process all over, but just curious what users find is the normal wait time for the shift sensor method to reflect any oil added. If it still says low 4 qts when warmed with no other codes, should I add or not?
__________________
Jim Simon
2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD
Freightliner XC 330HP Cat 3126E
Jim Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,165
19 quarts IS the correct amount with filter and fluid change on your shallow sump Allison 3000 transmission.


Do you know for sure that 19 quarts WERE added by the shop?


Did the shift pad fluid level check give accurate results before the fluid change??
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:22 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Jim Simon's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 18
Update: checked using the dipstick before I started and it reads into the top of Hot. Got engine and transmission up to 160 degrees and selector keypad still indicates Lo 4. Pulled dipstick during idle in neutral and nothing on stick. (Or ground) So I’m leery to keep adding and wondering why it seems to want 4 qts after just adding 4. Haven’t driven it yet.
__________________
Jim Simon
2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD
Freightliner XC 330HP Cat 3126E
Jim Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,165
Might give Allison a call and discuss with them:


Allison help line 800 252 5283


Suggest you have your model and serial number (metal plate on driver's side of transmission) handy.


Again, did the oil level sensor work properly before the filter and fluid change?

And, how sure are you that they indeed DID will with 19 quarts?

__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ArtJoyce's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Thornville, Ohio
Posts: 2,715
Is there any signs of a leak? Are you checking the transmission on level ground? After adding 4 qts key pad said you are 4 qts low, what are you seeing on the dipstick?

19 qts sure sounds like its in the right range. I think my transmission is about 18 qts.
__________________
Art & Joyce
Thornville, OH
Kia Soul pushing a 36' DP Endeavor
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
jacwjames's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12,410
A competent truck shop doesn't necessarily mean the had the A team working on your rig, could have been a less experienced mechanic. It happens. My neighbor took his pickup truck in for an oil change at the local Chevy dealer, he drove it ~1 mile toward home when the engine light came on and when he checked the oil level it show up on the stick. The sent a tow truck and he traded the pickup in for a BMW Suv at a very good price


Call the shop and talk to the manager and explain what is going on, maybe they'll have some suggestions.



You may be able to check for fault codes, check you manual, I can't pull codes on my 2002 but at some point this can be done, don't know what year.

I know there is an oil level sensor that can go bad.

https://www.ecuforcetruck.com/produc...it-high-input/
__________________
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD Cummins ISC 350 8.3L
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Jim Simon's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Might give Allison a call and discuss with them:


Allison help line 800 252 5283


Suggest you have your model and serial number (metal plate on driver's side of transmission) handy.


Again, did the oil level sensor work properly before the filter and fluid change?

And, how sure are you that they indeed DID will with 19 quarts?
Yes and I suppose my concern is whether 19 made it in. I also had my coolant surge tank replaced and donít know if the radiator and or perhaps transmission cooler was maybe drained.
Jim Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Jim Simon's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Is there any signs of a leak? Are you checking the transmission on level ground? After adding 4 qts key pad said you are 4 qts low, what are you seeing on the dipstick?

19 qts sure sounds like its in the right range. I think my transmission is about 18 qts.
Yes, level, no leaks and cold dipstick now shows overfull but when checked at operating temp in neutral doesn’t show on stick at all again.
__________________
Jim Simon
2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD
Freightliner XC 330HP Cat 3126E
Jim Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Jim Simon's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
A competent truck shop doesn't necessarily mean the had the A team working on your rig, could have been a less experienced mechanic. It happens. My neighbor took his pickup truck in for an oil change at the local Chevy dealer, he drove it ~1 mile toward home when the engine light came on and when he checked the oil level it show up on the stick. The sent a tow truck and he traded the pickup in for a BMW Suv at a very good price


Call the shop and talk to the manager and explain what is going on, maybe they'll have some suggestions.



You may be able to check for fault codes, check you manual, I can't pull codes on my 2002 but at some point this can be done, don't know what year.

I know there is an oil level sensor that can go bad.

https://www.ecuforcetruck.com/produc...it-high-input/
No codes.
__________________
Jim Simon
2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD
Freightliner XC 330HP Cat 3126E
Jim Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Jim Simon's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 18
I checked for codes but none exist. Does anyone know what the maximum low fluid level the keypad sensor will indicate? Could Lo 4 have possibly represented more than 4 but thats the most it reads? Again, warm in neutral at idle, the dipstick is dry. Nothing. Before I started and after sitting for a day, it read in the HOT range when cold. So at that point I felt it was overfilled.
__________________
Jim Simon
2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD
Freightliner XC 330HP Cat 3126E
Jim Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:28 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
Yes and I suppose my concern is whether 19 made it in. I also had my coolant surge tank replaced and don’t know if the radiator and or perhaps transmission cooler was maybe drained.

Coolant surge tank is in no way related to the transmission or transmission fluid and replacing the surge tank would not involve draining any fluid from the rest of the cooling system.


Guess I should say "it SHOULD be unrelated" since we don't know who was holding the wrench!


Suggest starting tomorrow by calling Allison and discussing this with them.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:12 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Jim Simon's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Coolant surge tank is in no way related to the transmission or transmission fluid and replacing the surge tank would not involve draining any fluid from the rest of the cooling system.


Guess I should say "it SHOULD be unrelated" since we don't know who was holding the wrench!


Suggest starting tomorrow by calling Allison and discussing this with them.
I agree but had read that because the trans cooler is also part of the radiator I was wondering if the fluid to the trans cooler had somehow been disconnected and drained down. The 19 qts doesn’t include anything for the rest of the tranny cooling system. Had me wondering if that’s the reason it was low. Thanks for the toll free. I’ll give them a shout. I suspect they will say to take it to an Allison shop.
__________________
Jim Simon
2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD
Freightliner XC 330HP Cat 3126E
Jim Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:51 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,149
I would take it for a 20mi drive and check it again before I would add any more.
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:54 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
I agree but had read that because the trans cooler is also part of the radiator I was wondering if the fluid to the trans cooler had somehow been disconnected and drained down.

Could someone disconnect the transmission cooler line from the cooling package. I guess so, but it would only make more work for them.


And, if they did that, the connections at the cooling package would be clean-- certainly cleaner than if it had not been disturbed.


Said another way, you could very likely verify visually if those connections has been disturbed.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drained 21 qts., filled 193/4 qts.shifter pad says 2 qts. over? Letsgoagain Allison Transmission Forum 7 09-06-2015 06:17 PM
MH3000 Hard Down Shifting TerryO Allison Transmission Forum 3 05-02-2012 08:34 AM
Web site to purchase Allsion MH3000 filters? Letsgoagain Allison Transmission Forum 11 07-04-2009 10:22 PM
MH3000 oil change RLS Allison Transmission Forum 3 08-02-2008 10:01 AM
Allison MH3000 fluid replacement quantity RKL2 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 9 12-21-2005 11:53 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.