Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:50 AM   #1

Over heated 3000 Allison transmission

I have a 2009 Winnebago Journey 37 h.
While climbing Baker grade coming out of California my transmission heated up to 210 degrees. As I was coming down the hill it never reduced heat below 199 and a smoke detector above the engine compartment and my bedroom alerted me that there was smoke I pulled over immediately and stopped and turn the engine off. The transmission cooled in about 15 minutes down to 170. After that we began driving into Vegas as I got to the other side of Vegas the temperature Rose to 199 again on flat surface. Made it home and my plans are to have the transmission fluid changed and filters but I'm wondering how to determine if any other damage may have been done I was towing a pickup truck with a load in it probably around 7,000 lb. I would appreciate any information and thoughts you all may have thank you.
VegasOpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 06:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasOpa View Post
I have a 2009 Winnebago Journey 37 h.
While climbing Baker grade coming out of California my transmission heated up to 210 degrees. As I was coming down the hill it never reduced heat below 199 and a smoke detector above the engine compartment and my bedroom alerted me that there was smoke I pulled over immediately and stopped and turn the engine off. The transmission cooled in about 15 minutes down to 170. After that we began driving into Vegas as I got to the other side of Vegas the temperature Rose to 199 again on flat surface. Made it home and my plans are to have the transmission fluid changed and filters but I'm wondering how to determine if any other damage may have been done I was towing a pickup truck with a load in it probably around 7,000 lb. I would appreciate any information and thoughts you all may have thank you.
I have a Cummins 350 horsepower engine.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #3

210 is hot but not over heated anything above 225*f is where you want to let it cool off. My guess is that the trans pushed some fluid out as it expanded because its over filled and got on the exhaust pipe. If the dip stick for the pan is accessible check your fluid it has full cold on the bottom of the stick and full hot at the top of the stick. Its better to leave it running to let it cool off if it just climbed a hill and you pull off and parking. Turbo without a oil supply will just bake the oil in the center bearing and cause a failer in the future if this becomes common practice. Leave it running at idle for 2 mins then turn it off is the best method unless you have a real fire.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:12 AM   #4

Call Allison customer service and see what their comments are. I'm not sure how the transmission fluid is cooled in your RV, but maybe either the fluid pump is bad, the cooling 'radiator' is clogged, or something even worse.

When was the last time the fluid was changed?
When was the last time the engine coolant was changed?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:18 AM   #5

We purchased the coach a year ago from North Carolina and drove it to Vegas I've changed the oil but not the transmission fluid so it's definitely due service. good idea on calling Allison customer service I'll reach out to them.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:19 AM   #6

There are several discussions about this. Here is a link to one of them.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/all...ge-344682.html
Old 02-27-2021, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
210 is hot but not over heated anything above 225*f is where you want to let it cool off. My guess is that the trans pushed some fluid out as it expanded because its over filled and got on the exhaust pipe. If the dip stick for the pan is accessible check your fluid it has full cold on the bottom of the stick and full hot at the top of the stick. Its better to leave it running to let it cool off if it just climbed a hill and you pull off and parking. Turbo without a oil supply will just bake the oil in the center bearing and cause a failer in the future if this becomes common practice. Leave it running at idle for 2 mins then turn it off is the best method unless you have a real fire.
I didn't think of that the dipstick prior to the trip was checked after the transmission fluid was hot it looked good it was at the correct location on the dipstick didn't appear to be over full. I agree that 210 shouldn't have been too hot I've been at about 208 before with no issues. The smoke detector going off was very worrisome however I did not see any smoke in the room but opening the window turning the fans on made the smoke detector turn off. Before the next trip everything will be serviced at Freightliner.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
There are several discussions about this. Here is a link to one of them.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/all...ge-344682.html
Thank you for the link I have been at that location all morning trying to come up with some conclusions appreciate your help thank you.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #9

Remember, the smoke detector going off may not have anything to doi with the transmission temperature. Could be something else entirely.

To check the transmission fluid level, I always use the touch pad. My understanding it is the most accurate way.

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/transm...%20temperature
Old 02-27-2021, 07:42 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have TES-295 fluid in the trans 210į is not overheated.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:43 AM   #11

...most rigs with 3000s cool the tranny with a fluid loop to/thru the engine radiator...depending on your engine coolant temps, your tranny may not get any cooler....your tranny is not "overheating" at 210 but tranny and engine temps should be tracking in relationship....would be curious what your tranny fluid level is, as measured thru the keypad--tranny/engine must be at ops temps to preform a keypad fluid level check....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:47 AM   #12

What was engine coolant temperature when you saw the 210 degree transmission reading (which BTW is not too hot)?

When was the last time you cleaned the front of the CAC (if rear radiator).
Old 02-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Remember, the smoke detector going off may not have anything to doi with the transmission temperature. Could be something else entirely.

To check the transmission fluid level, I always use the touch pad. My understanding it is the most accurate way.

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/transm...%20temperature
Well I've never done it with the keypad and I appreciate the link sent will read and study and when back up on the road I'll check it.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
What was engine coolant temperature when you saw the 210 degree transmission reading (which BTW is not too hot)?

When was the last time you cleaned the front of the CAC (if rear radiator).
Engine temperature was short of three quarters about a quarter above middle and I have not claimed the back of the radiator however I know that is something to maintain.

Tags
allison, heat, transmission