RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #1

Overdrive issue

Hey guys, I've got an Allison 1000 in an 01 Workhorse chassis behind an 8.1 that we picked up less than 6 months ago. '02 Thor Windsport. First time really up to speed on the highway yesterday, and It's not shifting into 5th. Also the OD lockout on the dash does nothing, it doesn't even light up. Could those two issues be related?

Fluid level is good, temps ran cool, less than 170. I replaced a leaky cooler and added a temp gauge a couple of weeks ago. Replaced 8qts. at the time with tes 295. Have not replaced the spin on filter yet. It doesn't feel like there are any other issues, ran great for 100 mile round trip shakedown cruise on the highway. Shifts quick smooth and crisp. Can clearly see shifts on the tach but doesn't feel harsh or anything. Can feel (and see) it shift up through 4th, (and torque converter lock in second) but no fifth. RPM about 3000 at 65ish. I feel like I should be more like 2200 to 2500 @ 65ish? (I have the same motor/trans in an 01 Sierra 2500) No check whatever lights on the dash either.

Any ideas what to start looking for?
Cash_Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #2

Update, the 2 issues are related. It appears that at some point the wrong OD lockout switch was installed. Apparently the momentary switch that was installed happens to have NC contacts where the wires from the TCM land, therefore keeping it locked out all the time.

I unplugged the switch and went for a drive and it shifted to 5th like it should at 55. I just wonder if it left the factory that way and has never been in 5th gear until tonight.