Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #1

Question about Economy Mode

I recently purchased a DP with the Allison 3000 tranny. I have tried pressing the Mode button on the keypad. The Mode LED illuminates but I don't see anything in the Mode ID display window to indicate Economy. Any ideas?
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
I recently purchased a DP with the Allison 3000 tranny. I have tried pressing the Mode button on the keypad. The Mode LED illuminates but I don't see anything in the Mode ID display window to indicate Economy. Any ideas?
In our coach we get a tiny red light in the mode button. That's it. Joe
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #3

What you see is what you get. One tiny red LED. What you will notice is that during accelaration from a standstill on pulling onto a freeway that the motor will not rev so high before it shifts and if going up small hills it will not downshift as much. If steep hills then you should not be in the Economy Mode. Because we drive at steady speeds on the big highways I never see any difference in MPG because it makes no difference during steady travel on a semi flat road.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There has been a lot of "debate" on the Allison economy mode.

I have the 2500, using the Ariens FBW control. It also only has the "mode" light. As noted, you will notice a shift difference only on hills. My knowledge is that it does not make a difference if you leave it in economy or regular mode. Just watch when in economy mode that it does not shift in/out/in/out/in/out. If it does, there are two thoughts. One, take it out of economy mode and the up and down shifting should stop, but if it doesn't, just hit the down arrow and put it in 5th gear until you get to a better terrain. Remember also that you can use that down arrow as a manual shifter. The transmission will not shift down until a safe speed to do so has been reached, so just stab the brake and it will shift down when the correct speed is reached.

Traveling from TX to CA, up the coast to WA, back East some and then home, I think I took it out of economy mode twice - could have been once. That was on a slow incline where it wanted to up/down shift a lot.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We live in south Alabama and visit Birmingham often. There are lots of slightly rolling hills in the area and in regular mode my tranny will downshift several times but in economy mode it will maintain 6th gear all the way. Much more pleasant.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
We live in south Alabama and visit Birmingham often. There are lots of slightly rolling hills in the area and in regular mode my tranny will downshift several times but in economy mode it will maintain 6th gear all the way. Much more pleasant.
Hey guys we are spending the night just so. of Montgomery. Gonna be in Foley for a few days. Should I have my trany in econom. mode most of the time...except steep grades.
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Hey guys we are spending the night just so. of Montgomery. Gonna be in Foley for a few days. Should I have my trany in econom. mode most of the time...except steep grades.
Yes and you shouldn't encounter any steep grades south of Montgomery.

Where will you be staying in Foley? We live in Orange Beach, perhaps we could have a meet and greet.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #8

In the manual it discusses the Economy mode but it didn't say that when the LED located in the upper right hand corner of the Mode pushbutton is illuminated the transmission is in Economy mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	8333  
Old 02-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
In the manual it discusses the Economy mode but it didn't say that when the LED located in the upper right hand corner of the Mode pushbutton is illuminated the transmission is in Economy mode.
That's how I'm reading it. Looks like what you posted does discuss the LED indicator which illuminates when the Mode button is pushed.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
That's how I'm reading it. Looks like what you posted does discuss the LED indicator which illuminates when the Mode button is pushed.
Yes, that's true, the LED indicator does illuminate when the Mode pushbutton is pressed. But I don't get the word ECONOMY or ECON in the Mode ID window.This is the keypad I have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keypad.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	8350  
Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #11

Don't know what coach you have. Mine has only the LED which illuminates in 'Mode', which means economy.

Thanks for your diagrams.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
There is also a MODE button. The MODE button may allow the driver to enable a secondary shift schedule or other special function that has been previously programmed into the electronic control unit at the request of the OEM. For example, the OEM for a motorhome may have provided a secondary shift schedule for improved fuel economy. The name of the special function (ECONOMY) should appear on the MODE ID label adjacent to the MODE button. Pressing the MODE button activates the ECONOMY shift schedule and illuminates the MODE INDICATOR (LED). Other special functions which may be activated by the MODE button are D1 selection or PTO enable. The MODE button is also used to view diagnostic code information

Found this on the web...Light on economy mode.
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #13

When getting up to speed on the highway economy mode will get you to 6th gear quicker.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, that's true, the LED indicator does illuminate when the Mode pushbutton is pressed. But I don't get the word ECONOMY or ECON in the Mode ID window.This is the keypad I have
Nothing "appears" in that window, it's just a recess for a sticker that says "ECONOMY."

Since the transmission can be custom programmed for the mode button to operate other options (like a PTO as described in your manual quote) they apparently didn't want to have to manufacture a different keypad for each option. So instead, there is a simple recess molded into the keypad next to the mode button/LED, and different stickers can be inserted in there to label the function.

So, are you saying that the mode "display" area there is blank? Sounds like you might be missing the sticker.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote