Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2022, 02:27 PM   #1

Safe to cut off mounting lug?

I have an Allison 4000 with a Chelsea 267 PTO and an Eaton hydraulic pump. Since I don't have the wet kit for PTO I have to remove the pump to grease the splines periodically. When sliding the body of the Eaton pump off of the PTO, it bumps into a mounting lug on the body of the transmission. I cannot rotate the pump to gain clearance so I have to loosen the PTO and allow it to swivel out a bit. This then causes me to lose some transmission fluid and requires a new PTO gasket. In other words it's a hassle. It looks like I can simply saw or grind the transmission lug off of the transmission and solve my interference issue quite easily. Your thoughts??
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 02:32 PM   #2

Post a picture of the lug/mounting boss you want to cut back/remove

OR BETTER YET

Take that picture by your local Allison dealer and ask one of the shop foreman (not service writer).
Old 01-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #3

Thanks wolfe10. I will visit my local Stewart-Stevenson Allison dealer for final advice before proceeding. This is the best pic that I have of the offending lug. The red arrow points to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TransmissionLug1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	354468
Old 01-24-2022, 03:20 PM   #4

I got the official shoulder shrug from the Allison service desk. We did discuss it and agree that it's safe to cut off the lug to the depth of the hole in the center of it. Hopefully, that'll be deep enough for clearance for the hydraulic pump.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:54 PM   #5

I simply sawed off the lug today. No problem. The depth of the hole in the lug goes all the way to the surface of the transmission case. I didn't need all of that so I cut off all but about 1/4" and there's still a hole in it.

I now have clearance for servicing my hydraulic pump without needing to remove the PTO. Since I had to loosen my PTO to start my project of lubing the pump splines, I had to remove the PTO to install a new gasket. Also, since I'm losing transmission fluid with the PTO removed I went ahead and drained the transmission and replaced the filters. Oh, what fun. A little more struggling with reattaching the pump and I'll refill with Transynd 668. I found it locally for about $38/gallon so I'm thrilled.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When my pump was rebuilt they installed a grease fitting on the end. Was told to use a real thick grease on the splines. I put about 4 pumps of grease every oil change. No leaks at all now....

Safe travels
Dave
Old 01-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
When my pump was rebuilt they installed a grease fitting on the end. Was told to use a real thick grease on the splines. I put about 4 pumps of grease every oil change. No leaks at all now....

Safe travels
Dave
That would certainly be nice. Do you mean that your PTO was rebuilt? Unfortunately, my Chelsea PTO wasn't optioned for a grease fitting or a wet kit. I don't have anywhere to drill and install a grease fitting that will get grease to the drive splines between in the PTO. The Chelsea PTO grease option has a hollow drive shaft so grease can be pushed through the shaft and right to the splines. Frankly, I like that option more than I like the idea of a wet kit. With a wet kit, if the hydraulic pump seal fails then I would have hydraulic fluid mixing with my transmission fluid. That could cost me a transmission, so no thanks.

I used Red Line synthetic CV-2 grease. Now that I've done it once it'll be a lot easier the next time when I don't have to disturb the PTO.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
BonS, I had the hyd pump resealed do to a leak and when apart they put a grease fitting in the end plate right where the splines are. I don't know if they drilled and tapped it or there was a plug there. I was told to buy special spline grease from Grainger. I bought a new grease gun and the grease and pump 4 or 5 pumps every year. That was 5 years ago and 30,000 miles and no leaks or problems. The grease was very thick and gooey. Where I had it done was Stewart Stevenson in Denver Colorado.

Safe travels
Dave
Old 01-29-2022, 11:53 AM   #9

I see, they probably drilled your shaft and installed the grease nipple. I've read of others having that done. If I ever need to take my PTO off again I'll consider having that done by a local machine shop. It's really inexpensive to put in new seals and bearings at the same time. Stewart Stevenson is where I got my best price on the Transynd fluid. I like them! Thanks for the info.