Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

Service? or not?

Hope there someone here that can guide me on this one.
I just got my hands on a one-owner 2001 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1 and Allison 5 speed tranny. It has 80K miles and unfortunately the gentleman who owned it is not available to answer my questions and there's no service records according to his wife.
Anyway, I just drove it 1400 miles to get it home and it virtually drives like a dream. Just a bit thirsty.
So, I have heard the advice that it's not good to service an old automatic transmission because it will cause problems.
However, I am one to get things maintained. I am guessing the old guy probably did service it but I just don't know. The filter is pretty dirty but the bottom of the engine/transmission is dry.

It does seem a little like if it aint broke don't fix it. I am pretty sure the GM garage I go to will advise me to service it but I want a second opinion before I go there.
So what do you guys think is the way to go with this?

TIA. Mike
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #2

Mike,

Lots of folks don't recommend doing flushes on older trannies, but do filter swap and fill instead. Leaves everything stuck in the corners, in the corners instead of floating and getting stuck in a smaller orifice.

That rarely causes any issues.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ View Post
Mike,

Lots of folks don't recommend doing flushes on older trannies, but do filter swap and fill instead. Leaves everything stuck in the corners, in the corners instead of floating and getting stuck in a smaller orifice.

That rarely causes any issues.

Griz
Transmission oil wears out just like any oil, clutch packs, bearings, gears, heat, etc. If you look at the Allison manual it does give the oil change intervals. I believe 50K for mineral 100K for synthetic. In any case when in doubt call Allison.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:55 AM   #4

Totally agree.
Does the manual mention flushing or just dropping the pan and swapping filters and re-fill? Usually that gets you about 35-45% of new oil in it each time.

My 2011 F-250 6 speed takes right at 8 qt's on just a drain/fill without dropping the pan to swap the filter on it. Right at 50% new fluid. Just did it last week before towing my TT for Thanksgiving.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #5

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
"I have heard the advice that it's not good to service an old automatic transmission because it will cause problems."

That's an old wive's tale. You can change the transmission fluid and spin on filter. But, that's like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I recommend you let us (JG Lubricant Services) take a look at the fluid and transmission system through our Advanced Oil Analysis Kit. This can properly assess the overall "health" of the transmission fluid and the transmission internal parts. There's no need to change the pan filter.

If the analysis shows a change is necessary, then you'll want to use an Allison approved TES-295 fluid (see http://allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/on-highway-fluids).

Visit my thread at: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...eer-89293.html
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #6

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Allison Duramax Flyer

This might help !!

https://jglubricantservices.files.wo.../12/slide1.jpg
Old 12-01-2017, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
"I have heard the advice that it's not good to service an old automatic transmission because it will cause problems."

That's an old wive's tale. You can change the transmission fluid and spin on filter. But, that's like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I recommend you let us (JG Lubricant Services) take a look at the fluid and transmission system through our Advanced Oil Analysis Kit. This can properly assess the overall "health" of the transmission fluid and the transmission internal parts. There's no need to change the pan filter.

If the analysis shows a change is necessary, then you'll want to use an Allison approved TES-295 fluid (see http://allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/on-highway-fluids).

Visit my thread at: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...eer-89293.html

Tom is giving you great advise here.

Bottom line is that there is no harm in a fluid change but it might be unnecessary. If you pull a sample & let J G analyse it. You will have a snapshot of the internal health of your transmission. This will also be a base line to compare future analysis to.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #8

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Tom is giving you great advise here.

Bottom line is that there is no harm in a fluid change but it might be unnecessary. If you pull a sample & let J G analyse it. You will have a snapshot of the internal health of your transmission. This will also be a base line to compare future analysis to.
Thanks for the kudos Steve !!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
[QUOTE=IBDAGRIZ;3924680]Totally agree.
Does the manual mention flushing or just dropping the pan and swapping filters and re-fill? Usually that gets you about 35-45% of new oil in it each time.

My 2011 F-250 6 speed takes right at 8 qt's on just a drain/fill without dropping the pan to swap the filter on it. Right at 50% new fluid. Just did it last week before towing my TT for Thanksgiving.

Griz[/QUOTE

The manual states to drain the pan and change the spin on control filter. The internal filter is only changed at overhaul however, my thoughts would be to change the internal filter if the pan needs to be dropped for the oil change as it is sitting right there. The oil change intervals can be as Allison states "optimized by the use of an oil analysis.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've owned two vehicles with the 8.1 engine and the Allison 1000 transmission. A 2003 2500 HD pickup and a 2004 Monaco La Palma.

Those years the Allison 1000 came with Dexron iii and a two year/25,000 mile fluid change interval.

Allison specifically says do NOT power flush the transmission. I always drained mine and refilled...ran it about 20 miles and drained it again and refilled it. That's the only way to do a complete fluid change.

About two years ago at 70,000 miles I switched the Monaco to Transynd. Won't be under there draining and refilling all the time.

If it was mine I'd drain and refill with Transynd. Do it twice. There is a spin on fluid filter on the transmission and I'd replace it too being sure to move the magnet from the old one to the new one.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When you do a service drain and refill, you are not expected to refill with new fluid, drive some, and drain and refill again. That's a lot of extra work and money.

That extra step is not needed - unless you have some contaminants you are trying to remove.

If your switching from Dexron to Transynd, maybe its a good idea (I don't know) but it sure adds a lot of expense in the case of the big Allisons (which can hold over 40 quarts).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
When you do a service drain and refill, you are not expected to refill with new fluid, drive some, and drain and refill again. That's a lot of extra work and money.

That extra step is not needed - unless you have some contaminants you are trying to remove.

If your switching from Dexron to Transynd, maybe its a good idea (I don't know) but it sure adds a lot of expense in the case of the big Allisons (which can hold over 40 quarts).
On the Allison 1000 you need to do it twice as about three quarts are left in it that don't drain. Can't tell you about any other Allisons as I just have the Allison 1000.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #13

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post

All,
Here's my recommended fluid/filter change procedures for Allison 1000/2000 Series and the 3000/4000 Series. Use this when fluid analysis indicates that the old fluid is DEXRON-III. The double drain and refill is intended to maximize the amount of the old sheared ("thinned out") fluid as possible. The fluid analysis will indicate the amount of deterioration (thinning) in the old fluid.
https://jglubricantservices.files.wo...-procedure.jpg
Old 12-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Service? or not?
Hope there someone here that can guide me on this one.
I just got my hands on a one-owner 2001 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1 and Allison 5 speed tranny. It has 80K miles
To answer your original question, SELL IT TO ME ! I happen to be in the market for a beater (lol)

Jim

Tags
service