Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #1

Shifting Allison 3000 to Neutral then Drive

I seem to remember reading someplace that while moving down the road an Allison transmission should not be shifted into neutral, coast for a while, then shift back into Drive. Is this true, and if so what damage does it do?
I've done this many times for different reasons in a regular car and never suffered any problems.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Actually, if you had pushed the Reverse button by mistake the Allison would not do anything that will cause harm to itself. It most likely would be the same when in Neutral also. I haven't tried it but it may even sound an alarm when that happens, I'm not sure.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #3

I thought the reason is that the Allison takes it's pump drive from the engine and not the driveshaft, so if you are coasting in neutral the driveshaft is turning the gears but the fluid is not pumping. That's also the reason you have to remove the driveshaft before towing (rather than just putting it in neutral).

Steve
Old 09-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #4

If the engine is running -- would think the "pump" is running. Doubt if putting the tranny in "N" for a short period would hurt anything--but why would you????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #5

Putting it in neutral wouldn't be a problem, putting it in drive while rolling down the road on the other hand would make me nervous though.

I, in my car put it in neutral all the time rolling up to stop lights and signs. You can feel the engine stop pulling the vehicle. The main reason for this is to use less brake pad over time.

The other reason someone would slip it in neutral is called hypermiling. Energy-efficient driving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

coasting down a long grade on a deserted back road with no particular place to go.

Allison 3000 model trannys cost to much for this in my opinion though.

I have no formal training on this subject and this is only my opinion.
your owners manual will probably tell you if it is a good idea or not.

I am in a gas burner right now but it does have an allison tranny but not a 3000 series i'm sure.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #6

NEVER put it in neutral while moving.. Fluid is being diverted in a manner which moving parts have no trans fluid moving to them!

Per your 3000 owners manual:
Quote:
WARNING: DO NOT allow the vehicle to “coast” in
N (Neutral). There is no engine braking in N (Neutral). You
could lose control of the vehicle, causing property damage or
personal injury. Coasting in neutral can cause severe transmission
damage.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #7

If you are saving brake "pads" or hypermiles with a DP, I think you bought the wrong vehicle??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I seem to remember reading someplace that while moving down the road an Allison transmission should not be shifted into neutral, coast for a while, then shift back into Drive. Is this true, and if so what damage does it do?
I've done this many times for different reasons in a regular car and never suffered any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
If the engine is running -- would think the "pump" is running. Doubt if putting the tranny in "N" for a short period would hurt anything--but why would you????
Old Scout
I agree ......(especially with the "WHY WOULD YOU????").
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I do not know why you would want put 30,000 lbs in neutral while moving down the road. In case of an emergency you would loose the engine brake/exhaust brake to help stop 30,000 lbs or the ability to increase speed on that 30,000 lbs. Do forget the toad that you maybe trying to stop or move.

That's just my opinion.

Because we never know when the $*!# is going to hit the fan.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #10

The comments I would like to make on this idiotic, absurd, and dangerous practice would not be acceptable on this forum, so I will just use capitals to show that I am shouting at you.
DON'T DO IT!!!
Elictrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I thought the reason is that the Allison takes it's pump drive from the engine and not the driveshaft, so if you are coasting in neutral the driveshaft is turning the gears but the fluid is not pumping. That's also the reason you have to remove the driveshaft before towing (rather than just putting it in neutral).

Steve
Thanks for that response Steve. I knew any distance traveled without the engine running at highway speed could damage the tranny, but was wondering about a very short distance. Back many many years ago most mechanics would tell you that towing a vehicle with an automatic could be done for less than 25-30 miles going no faster than 20-25 MPH. But rolling highway speed is another situation. Guess this was one of those questions - I'd probably never do it but what would happen if a condition called for it.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post

Thanks for that response Steve. I knew any distance traveled without the engine running at highway speed could damage the tranny, but was wondering about a very short distance. Back many many years ago most mechanics would tell you that towing a vehicle with an automatic could be done for less than 25-30 miles going no faster than 20-25 MPH. But rolling highway speed is another situation. Guess this was one of those questions - I'd probably never do it but what would happen if a condition called for it.
Read about THIS poor soul who had to have his rig towed by a "knowledgeable and qualified" tow operator.

What do you think he is in for when he gets back on the road?

Any opinions?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #13

I would be very unhappy if I was that gentleman. Even if the transmission appears fine, but if it fails 30,000 miles from now (which would be very premature) because of it... going to be a huge bill.

Steve

Tags
allison