RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Slow drip

Four months ago I noticed tranny fluid leaking from the upper side of my allison 1000. So I had the allison shop in Albuquerque NM take a look and they replaced the gasket or 0-ring on the actuator and changed the fluid and filter.
Everything was clean and dry for a week or so and then I noticed a very slow drip from the pan bolt heads. I decided to change the pan gasket thinking the original (reuseable) was damaged. A week later it started the slow leak again. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #2

Just a shot here-
It may be the converter draining down and filling up the trans to the overflow?
If you start and run it every week, does it leak then?

sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #3

That could be possible. I will have to get the coveralls out and take a closer look with that in mind. I only noticed the oil hanging from the rear pan bolt heads and didn't notice any fluid above that point. There is a possibility that they overfilled (they charged me for 13 quarts) when they serviced it. When I drained it to replace the gasket I was told at the parts store that it should take 9 but I drained and replaced 12. I check the stick while running cold and it was at the full cold mark.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

Most likely coming from the breather.The fluid will run down behind the nsbu switch then around the pan rail.Make sure you fluid level is correct.
allisontec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, I checked the fluid with engine running while cold and the fluid was below the cold mark so I added a pint and it is still showing below the cold mark. Meanwhile I cleaned the area with brake cleaner and let is sit for a day. This A.M. I found fluid on the passenger side back corner just below the plug with wires. It was dry above the gasket yet the gasket and the pan bolt is wet. I am guessing the fluid is leaking from around the bolt. It is dry around the vent.
Would it make sense to pull that bolt and apply gasket sealer?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
A year ago (or so) we had a weep around some of the bottom bolts. Decided to change filters and fluid. In that process noted the bolts had "sealer" in the thread area so started to pull all bottom bolts one at a time and added new liquid gasket material on each and put them in "semi" tight. Afterwards used the torque wrench to specs.
Looking around today - not a drop!!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply, I will give that a try.
Pete
Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #8

I cleaned everything and used sealant on the pan bolts and after waiting a couple days it looks like its wet around the selector shaft running down and following the pan gasket around the back to the other side!
I had that seal replaced at Big West in Albuquerque NM October on my way down to AZ.
I don't mind paying the huge shop rates ($495.65) for the seal and fluid (dextron III) change but I sure would appreciate it if they would get it right the first time!!!
Does any one do how big a deal it is to replace this seal myself. Since that's the only way to get things done right!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #9

Ok so I took my MH to the local GM store to have another shift actuator seal installed. I was going to do it myself but I needed 2 or 3 special tools to do it. I also had them change to Dextron VI. Anyway when I got back to my RV park I checked the fluid while it was hot, level and in park. It showed barely on the tip way below full cold mark. So I check my invoice and it says I payed for 8 quarts to refill, I had them leave the filter alone since it was just changed. Now after checking this forum it appears It should take 12 or 13 quarts? Don't they have a book to tell them?
Any chance being 4 or 5 quarts low for 15 miles could cause a problem?