Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Zephyr Allison Shifter

Our 2014 Tiffin Zephyr Allison shift indicator red light on the "mode" button is on and a "wrench" is shown in the small screen. Since the coach does not recognize the transmission is in neutral it won't start. Two technicians later, dispatched by Coachnet over the weekend were of little help. We have disconnected the diesel batteries and tried entering codes. Suggestions??? At least Tiffin service opens in the morning...

This was it's maiden voyage... what luck!
I should mention this is a 4000MH transmission.
SuperTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You probably need an Allison tech rather than an RV guy. Is there an Allison Service Center near? You can find an official one via this web page:
Using Authorized Services

When I lost power to my Allison control pad, I called around local truck shops and found a tech who knew Allison trannys and was willing to stop by our campsite to see if he could find the problem without towing to a shop. He did, in about 15 minutes! A wire had come loose from one of the transmission control relays.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
I am sure you have gotten some help by someone by now so I am not thinking any ideas will be of help. Are back on the road? If not what is the issue?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
What Gary said. Also, if you have a set of Allison manuals, there are several good explanations in there diagnosing various issues.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:23 AM   #5

What does the display look like where the gears would normally show up? Does it appear as though all of the segments in the display are lit and then they go blank?

If all the segments in the display appear lit, I would first look at the fuses. It may be that the TCM and the shift selector have different power sources. It could be the shifter has powered up but does not see anything from the TCM as the 10 amp fuse may have gone?

You can get the diagnostic codes out by pressing the up/down arrows on the selector simultaneously. Depending on how it is set up every time you push the arrows the readout will change. You want to push them until you see D1. If you have codes it will be followed a letter and 4 numbers eg U0115 or P0842. Note down the numbers, the code will continuously cycle through D1 P0 84 2 D1 P0 84 2. Once you have written down the first code, push the mode button and it will go to D2. Follow as with D1 until you get to a code --. Once you get this there are no more codes.

I suspect you wont be able to get any as the TCM may not be communicating with the Shifter, however give it a go.

Alternatively you Allison Tech should be able to sort it if he is coming.
Scotty1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, tiffin