Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #1

Trans Temp Gauge

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with 5.9 ISB Cummins and Allison 3060 6 speed. Have boost, exhaust temp, and fuel psi gauges. Would like to install trans temp gauge but see no plugs on tranny pan to install sensor. If anyone has installed a trans temp gauge or has any ideas on how to do it on the 3060 tranny I would be greatly appreciative to hear from you. Thanks Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #2

The senders are generally installed on the "converter out"/ "to cooler" hose line. Converter out/to cooler are the hottest location on the transmission. (used to be an Allison Transmission Field Service Tech)
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #3

The sender could be installed in the test port or line to the cooler. You could also remove the pan and weld in a plug for the sender. I prefer that method as it gives you the actual temperature of the oil in the pan. The outlet to the cooler will result in slightly higher temperature readings.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #4

Thanks guys tomorrow I will crawl under the old girl and check out your suggestions. If it looks like its over my paygrade maybe just go with scangauge d and hope it shows trans temp. Thanks again Jim
Old 07-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same engine transmission combination and the scanguage does show transmission temp
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #6

That makes the decision a whole lot easier. Thanks jim
Old 07-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #7

Just a bit of history from an old Allison guy:
Actually, the sender in the to cooler line will show you the maximum temperature the fluid has been exposed to because that exit from the torque converter is the hottest point in the transmission system.

By monitoring sump temperature, you're seeing it after it's been through the cooler. That's why for years, Allison recommended monitoring temperature in the to cooler port. Oil that has been overheated may not look overheated on a gauge that is after the cooler.

With the introduction of electronic controls, a thermistor was added to the internal harness allowing the monitoring of sump temperature. The thermistor was mostly for the controls to know what trans temperature was but has been used (because it's there) as a trans temp monitoring resource.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #8

Obviously a Scangauge D is a great choice but another option is a seperate Trans Temp gauge. You could get one that matches your boost, exh temp and fuel pressure gauges.

On both my coaches I've opted for gauges from MaxTow. They offer easy to read gauges in a variety of colors. They also offer a variety of fittings to connect the sending units to your engine and transmission.

I compare the my scangauge readings to the MaxTow gauge readings. My MaxTow gauge is typically 4-5* warmer than my scanguage reading with regards to Trans Temp.

I use this Trans Temp gauge and the "T" kit to install the sending unit in the steel line going "To" the cooler. As mentioned, "To" the cooler will show you the hottest temp the fluid is so you have a better idea how hot the fluid actually is.

Super nice gauge and easy to install. The T was a perfect fit on my Allison MH1000 and MH2100 transmissions.

https://www.maxtow.com/black-green-m...erature-gauge/

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #9

Temp Gauge

They do make a Tee that replaces the "to cooler" fitting and you just screw in your sender and run the wire to your gauge. Allison part number is 29506659 for the TEE and gauge kit is 29542707. please feel free to call if you have further questions.
Rick Franzen
Pacific Power Group
360 624-3305
Allisonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
trans temp guage

Rick... do you have pictures of the tee and guage? Im interested on installing a guage on a gas Allison W24 chassis. Thx
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
Rick... do you have pictures of the tee and guage? Im interested on installing a guage on a gas Allison W24 chassis. Thx
Here is the Trans Temp Gauge kit from Allison. $250 Retail price.

Here is the T kit. $170 retail.

$420 seems like a lot of money for this gauge set up but if it matches the rest of the gauges in your coach then it would be worth it.

If you aren't attempting to match other gauges in your dash then the MaxTow is a much more cost effective way to go. Essentuially $100 for the complete set up and you have a super easy to read digital/analog gauge to monitor trans temp. My old Bago gassers don't have gauges to match so I use gauges from MaxTow. Fuel Pressure, Engine Oil Temp, Trans Oil Temp. Everything else I get from the Scangauge or the dash.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:42 AM   #12

Temp Gauge

Thank you AKIQPilot, you are right on the ball! I took yesterday off and did not get the post until today. Great job!!!!
Allisonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post

On both my coaches I've opted for gauges from MaxTow. They offer easy to read gauges in a variety of colors. They also offer a variety of fittings to connect the sending units to your engine and transmission.

https://www.maxtow.com/black-green-m...erature-gauge/
That is a nice looking gauge

Thank you for posting.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporietis View Post
I have the same engine transmission combination and the scanguage does show transmission temp

Where is the sensor/sending unit that the scanguage picks up for the Transmission Temperature? I'm asking about my MD3060.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote