Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My manual shows 23 as shift selectors but no reference to 45 as a sub code. Guess I have to find an Allison mechanic. I have the push button shift selector but no clue on what could be wrong, especially when the sub code is not listed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Google doesnt come up with it either.. But, this is all I got:

12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Check:
a. ECU connectors are tight, clean, and undamaged.
b. Shift selector connector is tight, clean, and
undamaged.
c. Wiring harness has no opens, shorts between
wires, or shorts to ground.
d. Shift selector(s) for proper operation.

The last time this happen in a vehicle, it said 'Solenoid Circuit A - Bad' and I replaced the solenoid pack only to have the same problem. Turned out to be a broken wire in the harness (rubbed on the frame). My suggestion would be to look and check for any obvious breaks and remove/clean/refit and and all connectors to the tranny and shift selectors.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Same as mine. Got an appointment with mechanic for Wed.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #18

I don't have my manual with me (the MH is 1200 miles away in storage), but your problem may be the first read out. I think it shows that your fluid level is low. (OL -7). Check your manual for info on that, as well as a dipstick reading if you have one. The sixth gear lock out maybe a tranny saving logic when the fluid level is too far out of range.

Also, look under the rear of the rig to see if there is any sign of leakage at the trans or cooler lines.

Good luck.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My manual also shows oL 70 to be "sump fluid temp to be too low " nor do I know where the trans dip stick is on a C-9 side radiator. But I sure appreciate everyone's help is trying to diagnose the proplem.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
KIX

Chucklesg,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Based on the code you reported (d,1, 2,3,4,5) the issue is with a speed sensor. Or very low fluid level. It may be a speed sensor connection. To clear the code press and hold the mode button for 10 seconds. Cycle the ignition, then drive the coach again. If the problem persists the code will reset.
Before you do the above check the trans fluid level. My guess at this point is you have very low fluid or at least low fluid is being reported to the TCU. Hope this helps you.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesg View Post
My manual also shows oL 70 to be "sump fluid temp to be too low " nor do I know where the trans dip stick is on a C-9 side radiator. But I sure appreciate everyone's help is trying to diagnose the proplem.
I don't know where your trans fluid stick is either but it should be grouped near the engine oil dipstick. If that logic fails crawl under the coach and follow the stick tube from the trans housing to wherever you can pull to check level.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Kix, thanks again. Apparently you can't get an accurate measure of the trans fluid unless it is warm. I will let it run tomorrow, find the trans dip stick and at least get an idea of the level. It did run ok yesterday and the trans temp did not seem to get too hot in a 45 minute drive. I have an appointment Wed with an Allison knowledgeable mechanic to hopefully figure it all out.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesg View Post
Kix, thanks again. Apparently you can't get an accurate measure of the trans fluid unless it is warm. I will let it run tomorrow, find the trans dip stick and at least get an idea of the level. It did run ok yesterday and the trans temp did not seem to get too hot in a 45 minute drive. I have an appointment Wed with an Allison knowledgeable mechanic to hopefully figure it all out.
I understand that to be correct too, but it will be close when cold but get it warm to add to proper level. In fact I've heard that the shift pad method of determining fluid level is the most accurate.

When you get to the solution please post what you find.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
I don't have my manual with me (the MH is 1200 miles away in storage), but your problem may be the first read out. I think it shows that your fluid level is low. (OL -7). Check your manual for info on that, as well as a dipstick reading if you have one. The sixth gear lock out maybe a tranny saving logic when the fluid level is too far out of range.

Also, look under the rear of the rig to see if there is any sign of leakage at the trans or cooler lines.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Chucklesg,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Based on the code you reported (d,1, 2,3,4,5) the issue is with a speed sensor. Or very low fluid level. It may be a speed sensor connection. To clear the code press and hold the mode button for 10 seconds. Cycle the ignition, then drive the coach again. If the problem persists the code will reset.
Before you do the above check the trans fluid level. My guess at this point is you have very low fluid or at least low fluid is being reported to the TCU. Hope this helps you.
oL70 is because he didnt drive for 50 miles (joking) before reading the codes.. ie: too cold of fluid temp for accurate level readings. I know several trannies that need to be checked in very narrow range of temps to be accurate.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
oL70 is because he didnt drive for 50 miles (joking) before reading the codes.. ie: too cold of fluid temp for accurate level readings. I know several trannies that need to be checked in very narrow range of temps to be accurate.
That may well be the case of the OL70 code, however low fluid can cause the symptom he is having
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
That may well be the case of the OL70 code, however low fluid can cause the symptom he is having
True.. but then you'd think you'd have other symptoms like hard shifting... dont know if his system actually tells him how low or not either...
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #27
KIX

No, low fluid symptom is not usually hard shifting but I suppose it could be. I don't know about shift pad reading fluid level either. Mine does but his may not. But, in any case, not shifting between 5 and 6 can be caused by low fluid or speed sensor signal related issues or maybe even just electronic connector resistance.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
The Allison 3000MH needs to be 140F or higher in temp and the coach needs to be level before checking the oil level. If driven to heat the oil up which is the best method, it needs to sit level for about 2 minutes before taking a reading. If the parameters are not correct, the display will countdown until the parameters are met.

I thought the diagnostics would not report oil level beyond + or - 4 quarts but I may be wrong on that point.

BTW, my Allison shift point for going from 5th to 6th gear is about 60-61 mph. That's why my cruise set point is 62 mph.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote