Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #1

Transmission Leak

I have a 2003 Monaco Knight w/ an Allison 3060 tranny which has a drip leak out of what appears to be a sender on the passenger side just above the "starter?". There is a set of wires that go to the side at the bottom. It appears to be mounted to a "bracket" above it via a bolt that passes through the unit like it is "cinched up against the underside of the bracket or case. I thought there was a nut holding it (or a square drive insert) but after cleaning it up better there is no square drive hole and if there is a nut I am not able to bet a socket to slide over it. It may be because the nut is too close to the wire attachment and requires a thin walled socket? Has anyone dealt w/this before?
It is difficult to get access w/o taking something else off or even to get a photo that would be descriptive.

Thanks much,

Steve Pletscher
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #2

A picture would be a big help , but as you mentioned probably not possible .

From your description , this is in the bell housing area of the transmission and , leaks in the bell housing come from the torque converter or it's related seals; red fluid; and come out the bottom of the bell housing .
The sensors on my 3060 are on the drivers side .

If the liquid is black , could be engine oil and running down from a valve cover , have you looked down from the top, to perhaps have a better view ?
Old 05-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.
It is red rather thin fluid and after I cleaned the area up better it appears to be coming off the top of what could be a sender of some sort maybe a temp guage? I believe that the external tranny cooler lines go into it. It starts to leak as soon as the key is turned to on to activate the levelers. The engine does not need to be running.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPletscher View Post
Thanks for your reply.
It is red rather thin fluid and after I cleaned the area up better it appears to be coming off the top of what could be a sender of some sort maybe a temp guage? I believe that the external tranny cooler lines go into it. It starts to leak as soon as the key is turned to on to activate the levelers. The engine does not need to be running.
Well from this description , I believe this is part of your hydraulic leveling system, when you used the term " starter" in your first post , I thought your issue was on the transmission .
The hydraulic fluid used in most leveling systems , is a thin red fluid, and if you only get a leak when using the levelers , then it's not a trans cooler ; engine would have to be running for the trans cooler to leak.
Does the " starter " look like this picture .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	286895  
Old 05-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #5

Tranny leak photos

Skip426,

I was able to get these photos. Never downloaded on this site so here goes. I started in the lower left and worked my way up between the passenger side frame rail and the engine block at the starter.
The silver cannister is a couple inches in diameter and the photo is pretty much upside down. the wire attachment is on the bottom. The leak appears to be coming from where the cannister attaches to a bracket attached to the side of the block. It drips off of the silver tab and down onto the lower block and drips off of the starter and bell housing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200526_135541.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	287085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200526_135448.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	287086  

Name:	IMG_20200526_135436.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	287087  
Old 05-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #6

....is this a Cummins engine? If so, and given that era of coach, there is a good possibility that your lift pump manifold gasket is leaking fuel and running down the side of the engine to this location...it picks up dirt and oil debris on the way down so hard to tell what the fluid actually is....lift pump on Cummins ISL, maybe ISC too, is right above the starter......worth a look.....
Upon further review, pretty sure the silver cap "thingy" in your first picture looks like the botom of the motor on the lift pump....
PS-if it is the lift pump--need to get this fixed immediately-- long-term, a lift pump leak is fatal for your CAPS injector pump [$$$$$$$$]...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:57 AM   #7

That’s the lift pump , I have details about the revised gasket on my other computer and will post the PDF tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #8

The bracket on the side of the engine is referred to by Cummins as a fuel manifold.
The lift pump duty cycle on your ISC is 30 seconds after every key on ; to prime the mechanical portion of your CAPS ( Cummins Accumulator Pump System) injection pump.
The gasket that seals the lift pump to the fuel manifold , was designed before ULS ( Ultra Low Sulfur) diesel fuel, and the new diesel causes it to shrink and the leaks start.
After the lift pump duty cycle; and engine start up; the bad gasket will allow air to be drawn in to the CAPS pump and can cause damage.
Here's the pdf on the new gasket .
A diagram of the lift pump , fuel manifold , and a photo from another members post about the leak ; taken from the top .
Note : Not all three mount bolts, between the manifold and the lift pump are shown in the diagram; but are shown with red arrows in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Isc lift pump.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	287165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel manifod Cummins.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	287166  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins Lift Pumps (1).pdf (214.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #9

….sure there is a right answer here but with several gasket designs available based on pump serial/part numbers....guess if you remove it, you can match the proper replacement gasket.....Cummins no longer sells just the gasket kit, probably based on the different gasket designs....but there are some on the after market.....but after 15-20 years, might be better to just replace the pump.....
PS--some articles on this forum about installing Air Dog or FASS aux pump--but not sure how this resolves the gasket issue, unless you totally by-pass the old pump and manifold connections.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #10

A note about the wiring connection to the lift pump .

The wiring connector , has a lock tab holding it to the pump that isn't visible when looking at the pump/wiring from underneath.
The small tab on the connector must be depressed to remove the wiring.
In this photo showing the 5.9 version of the lift pump , the lock tab on the connector and the recess in the pump that it aligns with are show with red arrows.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #11

Smile Leaky transmission AKA bad lift pump gasket

Thanks to Skip426 and Old Scout for the timely and profound responses/solutions to my problem. This now makes good sense. I will be installing a new lift pump and expect that it will solve the leaking.
I really appreciate this assistance.

Steve Pletscher
2003 Monaco Knight
Sierra quad cab - toad
Old 05-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #12

Cummins Lift PUMP 2003 Monaco

My mechanic is telling me that we cannot just replace the lift pump per his supplier. We need to buy the whole manifold. Does anyone have information on this? From what you have sent earlier in this thread, there are several gasket designs depending on when the pump was built.
If we can get just the pump off to read the serial number it will tell us which gasket to use.
Otherwise its looking like I will need to replace the entire manifold for $400+ and alot more time.

Thanks for anyfeedback.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #13

I did look for the gasket online and didn't find any listings .
I'll ask in the Cummins forums .

As a temporary fix ; have you tried tightening the bolts ?
Might hold for a while.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #14

I've started a post in " Cummins Engines " and sent a PM to a member who had noted in another thread that, OEM Cummins had discontinued the part , but someone was reproducing them for $10.

EDIT : Some info provided by jacwjames in this thread. along with a link , hopefully they still have stock.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isc-...ml#post5282732

Tags
leak, transmission