Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Transmission Not Playing Nice With Others

I had a new engine wiring harness installed by a Freightliner shop. During test drive, transmission was shifting very badly. They determined I had a bad Bendix ABS/ATC module (ECU) and unplugged it. Since then I've had no cruise control or transmission temperature indication. (I've had a ATC light on ever since I bought the coach 9 months ago.) I installed a "new" ABS/ATC module yesterday. (Thanks VISONE) ABS and ATC indicate they are working as designed! BUT, still NO cruise control or temperature.

It's almost as though a connector didn't get hooked back up when engine harness was installed. Or...I have another broken wire or bad ground in another harness. Seems unlikely to happen all of a sudden. "I don't believe in coincidences."
Wondering where to start looking for connectors...or other ideas?...
Mark and Anita - First Timers, West Tennessee. 2002 Monaco Diplomat 40ft, Cummins ISC330, Allison 3000, Amsoil Lubricants stem to stern, 2013 Ford Edge AWD TOAD with Roadmaster Falcon 2 and a Brakemaster
Md11fpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #2

Go to a real Cummins or Allison distributor shop; they'll figure it out.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 AM   #3

I will NEVER set foot in another Cummins Distributor shop. Allison is where I would head if I can't figure this out.

So engine ECM talks to transmission ECU and ABS/ATC ECU and (as I understand it) some OEM "smart box" for stuff like cruise control...(2 way or multi-way communications)

Am I close here?

Engine ECM is bolted to engine; transmission ECU is in forward driver's side compartment on my coach; ABS/ATC ECU is mounted over my propane tank. Anyone know where the OEM box in this equation is?

I will be passing through Elkhart area next week...any places where I might get this looked at that y'all would recommend?
Mark and Anita - First Timers, West Tennessee. 2002 Monaco Diplomat 40ft, Cummins ISC330, Allison 3000, Amsoil Lubricants stem to stern, 2013 Ford Edge AWD TOAD with Roadmaster Falcon 2 and a Brakemaster
Old 04-29-2018, 07:01 AM   #4

My transmission temp gauge was not working - I called Allison and they said there was only 1 wire that I could see on the tranny (at the front) and that likely it was disconnected. I crawled under the rig and sure enough, it was hanging disconnected. I hooked it back up and the gauge started working again.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Rick is correct on the Allison temp. There is a sending unit with 1 wire connected on the bottom of the trans next to 2 large cooler lines and it has a tendency to work loose.

I know that the Cummins engine ECU has a bit that must be turned on for it to recognize a cruise system is connected.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #6

I cleaned transmission temperature sender connection which is installed on cooler line coming out of transmission.

I get temperature data to my ScanGuage...most of the time. Once in a while it will drop out and if the transmission is shifting at the time I can count on some missed shifts.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #7

Coach is in the shop. Not definitive til I see the final paperwork but...they first found water in a diagnostic plug hanging on “left”side of engine. There are actually 2pugs there tied up with a bird’s nest of extra wire in loom. One looks like a j1939 with a cap on it ; the other is a two prong plug with no cover. But that didn’t solve problem. INTERNAL trans wire harness is bad! How in the world?

Tags
transmission