RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #1

Transynd changeover--complete draining?

I'm about to do the Transynd changeover in my 2000 Monaco Dynasty with ISC engine. A very knowledgeable friend suggested that instead of having to do two fluid changes to get almost all the old fluid out, he always overfills the trans by a few quarts, disconnects the return line (from the cooler), starts the engine, and lets it pump into a bucket until he sees the fluid change color, indicating the old fluid is almost entirely out of the trans.

Anyone else do anything similar to that? If so, any advice you would give me?

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Eastern NC

Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Community Moderator

i did the return line thing on my cars, not on rv. allison trans is robust, there are a lot unknowns that are unknown (to me). i followed "mr transynd"s instruction and changed the fluid 3 times. it's easy and safe.

CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

I took mine to the Allison dealer near me and they flush the cooler and every thing and replace with trynsend for 450... Not to bad to me...
ImperialRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0503 View Post
I took mine to the Allison dealer near me and they flush the cooler and every thing and replace with trynsend for 450... Not to bad to me...
$450 for a transmission fluid flush/change? Did that include drop the pan and change filters?
I can't believe the prices for RV/Motorhome work. I paid $275 for a relatively easy wheel alignment (toe-in and caster) to have my new motorhome wander down the road.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
I'm about to do the Transynd changeover in my 2000 Monaco Dynasty with ISC engine. A very knowledgeable friend suggested that instead of having to do two fluid changes to get almost all the old fluid out, he always overfills the trans by a few quarts, disconnects the return line (from the cooler), starts the engine, and lets it pump into a bucket until he sees the fluid change color, indicating the old fluid is almost entirely out of the trans.
Anyone else do anything similar to that? If so, any advice you would give me?
Van W 2000 Dynasty 36
Vanwill
Allison recommends "two fluid changes to get almost all the old fluid out".

When I did the "changeover to synthetic" I followed the Allison recommendations for 2 reasons:
1.) Because I assume that Allison knows how it should be done.
2.) Because a very knowledgeable friend, (or some expert on the internet), might not know as much about "Allison transmissions" as Allison.

BTW, I used Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF, which is "Allison approved", (and considerably less expensive than Transynd).

Mel
'96 Safari, M3060 Allison
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #6

Hey Van,

Some do as your friend suggests but Allison specifically recommends against any method other than the 2 change method. Tom Johnson recommends a change followed by a short drive and another change. This would save a second filter change. In my case, I changed and proceeded to drive about 18 months then changed fluid/filters again. That last change was in '09 and I've only changed filters & topped up since. I started doing an annual fluid test at the first filter change.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
$450 for a transmission fluid flush/change? Did that include drop the pan and change filters?
I can't believe the prices for RV/Motorhome work. I paid $275 for a relatively easy wheel alignment (toe-in and caster) to have my new motorhome wander down the road.
IdahoSRT10
There is no need to drop the pan on my Allison M3060, (to change the fluid and/or the filters).
Which transmission are you asking about?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My mechanic actually just purchased a machine for servicing MH/truck transmissions that is supposed to be able to suction all of the fluid out of the transmission. I mentioned to him the 2 or 3 fluid change procedure for switching to Transynd and he said no need with the new machine.

Has anyone heard or had experience with this?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
IdahoSRT10
There is no need to drop the pan on my Allison M3060, (to change the fluid and/or the filters).
Which transmission are you asking about?
Mel
'96 Safari
The OP's transmission.
If you can change your filters and fluid without dropping the pan I see no need to drop the pan unless there was a failure.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
And then there is the torque converter with the old oil still in it.
Just might be the reason for the two changes to change type of fluid.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

The easiest way I know of to get a hose connection to start leaking afterwards is to disconnect it [smile]. Recommend the two change method--nothing says you cant run it for a season or two with the mix before you do a second change out???? Also getting a bit concerned about the price of TranSynd--around $60/gal. Think I will look hard at one or more of the other Allison approved fluids that are still in the $30-35 range.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
And then there is the torque converter with the old oil still in it.
Just might be the reason for the two changes to change type of fluid.
This is the reason for the two fluid change. There is no way to get the fluid out of the torque converter other than changing fluid twice or by doing a flush by adding new fluid to replace that that gets drained when you crack a line. You loose that so why not go ahead and drive the rig for a year then drain.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Transynd Should Be Less Than $40 Per Gallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Also getting a bit concerned about the price of TranSynd--around $60/gal. Think I will look hard at one or more of the other Allison approved fluids that are still in the $30-35 range.
Less than three weeks ago (4/8/14) I had the fluid changed in my Allison and Premier RV in Junction City Oregon charged $39 per gallon for actual Transynd. A quick Google turned up a Union 76 fluid at $37.60 per gallon with free shipping on eBay. It claimed to be TES295 compliant. It was in five-gallon pails, though.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #14
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Take a look at the prices for the Allison filters. It cost nearly $200 for the filters for my Allison 4060 a couple of months ago.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote