Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #1

What are true benefits of change to Transynd?

Laides and Gents,
Hope all of you had/have a nice Thanksgiving. We recently purchased an '04 Itasca with the 330 CAT and the Allison 3000MH. Now, in that massive set of books that came with the coach, there's an Allison owners manual. In that book, it states my model "3000MH", came with Dexron trans fluid. And that the model 2000 trans came with Transynd.

Well, many friends have had the flush and change to synthetic transmission oil, aka "Transynd' and they all seem to say their rigs shift better and run cooler. Well, here's what I'm asking here. What are the true benefits of changing to Transynd or, any other approved Synthetic Transmission oil for my Allison 3000MH??

I mean, what EXACTLY does using that type of oil do for your trans that a Dino oil can't? I won't mind spending what's needed for a complete flush and change over if, someone can assure me it's worth it and, not just some hype about a different oil. I sure appreciate any insight here. Thanks very much.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #2

Transynd is a true synthetic which has many benefits as far as lubrication goes. Also, it extends the change interval considerably.

Another issue which is confusing at the very least is which transmissions can use which Dexron (3? 4? 6?) if you choose not to change to Transynd. You have to go by the serial number since many can not use the newer stuff.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Scott,

You really should ask this question of Tom Johnson who is the ex- Allison engineer who is answering question on the thread he started.

I think there are several reasons but the one I'm sure of is that with Dex III which is no longer licensed, the fluid change time interval is 12 months and with Transynd it's 4 years or when an analysis says so.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #4

Post your question to this thread. He's the former TranSynd product engineer who actually wrote the specs for it. Also hugely involved with other transmission formulations... No finer resource exists for your question! An excellent thread to subscribe to, much has already been discussed about the reasons for TranSynd... I'll be watching (and learning from) it!!!!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...ns-108717.html
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Scott,

You really should ask this question of Tom Johnson who is the ex- Allison engineer who is answering question on the thread he started.

I think there are several reasons but the one I'm sure of is that with Dex III which is no longer licensed, the fluid change time interval is 12 months and with Transynd it's 4 years or when an analysis says so.
Steve,
I have. I asked him on another forum and patiently waited for several days and no answer. I figured he's busy with other folks and other answers. Yes, I'd like to get a straight, definitive answer on the bennies. Maybe he'll get around to it sooner or later. Thanks for your info.
Scott
Old 11-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I asked him on another forum and patiently waited for several days and no answer.
Scott:
Tom Johnson (aka Mr. TranSynd) came back to irv2 a few days ago and has been answering Qs daily. The link above is the thread he opened on irv2. Post your Q there.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #8

Scott - I posted your question on Tom Johnson's thread. You can follow it here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...ml#post1017831
Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #9

Thank you Sir, very much appreciated. I'm anxious to see what the details are.
Scott
Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you call Freightliner with your VIN and ask if it has Transynd or Dexron in the tranny. My '04 Freightliner XC chassis, built in December of 2003, came with Transynd installed. There is even a tag on the transmission filler tube that says so (you might look there to see as well).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #11

I will double check on the possibility of it having Transynd. Apparently no one knows the true benefits of using Synthetic Transmission fluid in these large transmissions. This question is on two different forums and has been there for a few days. So, either there is NO real difference in using the special fluid as opposed to standard Dexron because NO ONE has come up with any substantial reasoning for its use.

I surely don't want to sound pessimistic here but, and I surely appreciate any info here but, after not seeing ANY answer to this question, on two different RV forums, to me, it sounds as though no one knows of any real benefits. I see suggestions as to which fluid (synthetic) to use or try, but, no written, documented, logical tests of any type to substantiate a change. Anyone?
Scott
Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I changed from Dexron to TranSynd I noted a 20° drop in transmission temps. In fact it's so low that I almost can't use the shift pad to check the level. Plus it shifts smoother and the life is four times longer between changes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #13

Quote:
...Apparently no one knows the true benefits of using Synthetic Transmission fluid in these large transmissions. This question is on two different forums and has been there for a few days. So, either there is NO real difference in using the special fluid as opposed to standard Dexron because NO ONE has come up with any substantial reasoning for its use.

I surely don't want to sound pessimistic here but, and I surely appreciate any info here but, after not seeing ANY answer to this question, on two different RV forums, to me, it sounds as though no one knows of any real benefits. I see suggestions as to which fluid (synthetic) to use or try, but, no written, documented, logical tests of any type to substantiate a change. Anyone?
Scott
FIRE UP

WHAT? Did you even bother to look at Mr. Johnson's long, thorough, and thoughtful reply to your question? (PS on the other thread I even posted FOR YOU).

I give up, put water in your tranny.... Me out on this one...
Old 11-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
I will double check on the possibility of it having Transynd. Apparently no one knows the true benefits of using Synthetic Transmission fluid in these large transmissions. This question is on two different forums and has been there for a few days. So, either there is NO real difference in using the special fluid as opposed to standard Dexron because NO ONE has come up with any substantial reasoning for its use.

Scott
To quote you again . . . "no written, documented, logical tests of any type to substantiate a change. Anyone?"

Sorry to sound sarcastic or caustic, but why do you spin your wheels here asking for stuff that can't be produced here.

Get your Tranny serial number and CALL ALLISON and/or FREIGHTLINER AND ASK THEM!!!!! Specific questions about warranty issues should produce a definitive answer!

Why people continue to ask everyday folks on this forum about design engineering questions is beyond me. Especially when they continue asking until they get the answer they have already determined to be the only one they want to hear.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote